Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

GRC Validrive

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

GRC Validrive

Postby Infrasonic » October 18th, 2023, 12:15 pm

https://www.grc.com/validrive.htm

Why is this a serious problem?
At first this might seem like a minor annoyance: You purchase a 1 or 2 terabyte drive at a bargain price and you receive a 64GB drive instead. But that's NOT what happens here!

The drive appears to be the 1 or 2 terabyte drive you purchased. You plug it into your computer and everything looks fine. You can even copy files to the drive; as many as you want. And when you look at the drive's contents the files are there. But what's insidious is that the files' contents may have never been stored.

These fraudulent drives contain just enough storage – typically 64GB – to convincingly hold the file system's directory listing. But once its first 64GB of storage space has been filled, the contents of any additional files will not actually be stored. Their names, dates and sizes will be stored in the directory at the front of the drive. Everything will appear to be fine. But the files' contents will be blank because they were “stored” where no storage exists.

Operating systems do not verify that the data they write was actually written. They rely upon the honesty of storage devices to report errors. If a write error occurs, then the operating system will rewrite the data elsewhere. But these deliberately fraudulent drives never report any problems – they just silently discard any data written where there's no storage.

The first indication of a problem occurs when
you attempt to read back a stored file. Even that
will appear to work... but the file itself will be empty!
Cont.

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: GRC Validrive

Postby servodude » October 19th, 2023, 4:58 am

Infrasonic wrote:https://www.grc.com/validrive.htm

Why is this a serious problem?
At first this might seem like a minor annoyance: You purchase a 1 or 2 terabyte drive at a bargain price and you receive a 64GB drive instead. But that's NOT what happens here!

The drive appears to be the 1 or 2 terabyte drive you purchased. You plug it into your computer and everything looks fine. You can even copy files to the drive; as many as you want. And when you look at the drive's contents the files are there. But what's insidious is that the files' contents may have never been stored.

These fraudulent drives contain just enough storage – typically 64GB – to convincingly hold the file system's directory listing. But once its first 64GB of storage space has been filled, the contents of any additional files will not actually be stored. Their names, dates and sizes will be stored in the directory at the front of the drive. Everything will appear to be fine. But the files' contents will be blank because they were “stored” where no storage exists.

Operating systems do not verify that the data they write was actually written. They rely upon the honesty of storage devices to report errors. If a write error occurs, then the operating system will rewrite the data elsewhere. But these deliberately fraudulent drives never report any problems – they just silently discard any data written where there's no storage.

The first indication of a problem occurs when
you attempt to read back a stored file. Even that
will appear to work... but the file itself will be empty!
Cont.

Crikey is this still a thing?

I first saw this trick in person over 20 years ago on a drive from a KL market

Purported to be 4GB drive when it was really just a few meg of flash with a hacked ROM to overwrite sectors but report a full FAT
First clue was the lack of spinning and when cracked open there was a tiny board (about 5% of the space) in the 2.5" enclosure hanging off the USB port

Going back further I can remember an interview with Jeff Minter where his pals played a joke on him by getting the local computer (it was in a library or youth centre I think) to pretend it had had a storage upgrade - and he wasted ages writing in a programme that could never run

-sd

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 19th, 2023, 7:06 am

servodude wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:https://www.grc.com/validrive.htm

Cont.

I first saw this trick in person over 20 years ago on a drive from a KL market...
-sd

The difference now is they appear as sponsored ads on Am*z*n et al, and Am*z*n appear to do very little about it.
A bit like G**gle with the sponsored ads that appear at the top of their search results, infested with scammers and malware links.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 19th, 2023, 7:41 am

Infrasonic wrote:
servodude wrote:

I first saw this trick in person over 20 years ago on a drive from a KL market...
-sd

The difference now is they appear as sponsored ads on Am*z*n et al, and Am*z*n appear to do very little about it.
A bit like G**gle with the sponsored ads that appear at the top of their search results, infested with scammers and malware links.

Well it's also about 20 years since a work colleague's son was scammed on eBay buying what turned out to be a "photos of a phone" - all above board... if you read the description as a sociopath might i.e. "Please see the photos of a Moto <whatever> that I am selling..."
- scrotes gotta scrote I guess

:(

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 19th, 2023, 8:31 am

servodude wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:

Well it's also about 20 years since a work colleague's son was scammed on eBay buying what turned out to be a "photos of a phone" - all above board... if you read the description as a sociopath might i.e. "Please see the photos of a Moto <whatever> that I am selling..."

Or the person who bought the "Playstation: box, controller, manual".

Scott.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 19th, 2023, 8:36 am

swill453 wrote:
servodude wrote:

Or the person who bought the "Playstation: box, controller, manual".

Scott.

I could believe that now, after not believing what happened back then :(

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 25th, 2023, 8:24 am

It gets better, Amazon are removing reviews stating the drives are fake (having tested with Validrive first)...https://www.grc.com/sn/SN-945-Notes.pdf page 2

"Thank you for submitting a review of doykob Memory Stick 512 GB USB Stick Fast Speed USB
3.0 Drive Mini USB Metallic Flash Drive Portable USB Memory Sticks for Data Storage and
Transfer, with Keychain (512gb); we’re sorry you did not have a positive experience.

We investigated your concerns about product authenticity, and the information we have indicates
that the product you received was authentic. As a result, we removed the review you
submitted. This ensures that customer reviews remain as accurate as possible for the benefit
of future customers."

I got an ad for fake SSD's on my Pixel 8 pro the other day, courtesy of Google - so it's a wider issue than just Amazon.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 25th, 2023, 8:57 am

Infrasonic wrote:I got an ad for fake SSD's on my Pixel 8 pro the other day, courtesy of Google - so it's a wider issue than just Amazon.

How do you tell from an ad that it's a fake?

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 25th, 2023, 9:15 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:I got an ad for fake SSD's on my Pixel 8 pro the other day, courtesy of Google - so it's a wider issue than just Amazon.

How do you tell from an ad that it's a fake?

They make it bleedin' obvious by advertising things that don't exist - like 20TB USB SSD drives.
The prices are ridiculously cheap as well - 20TB for under $100?... :lol:

The ad I saw on my phone was exactly the same as the fake ones I've seen on Amazon - go and search for USB flash or SSD's and you'll see them all over the place.
Clearly they sell enough to keep doing it but for anyone with even a modicum of tech knowledge they are laughably obvious.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » October 25th, 2023, 12:26 pm

That sounds like the worst case, but I bought a USB stick with all the correct labelling (Sandisk 32gb USB 3.0), used it for over a year before coming to do something that actually required that oomph (writing an image to it with balena etcher), to have it serially fail to write - and on analysing the thing, found it to be USB 1.0.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 25th, 2023, 12:42 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:That sounds like the worst case, but I bought a USB stick with all the correct labelling (Sandisk 32gb USB 3.0), used it for over a year before coming to do something that actually required that oomph (writing an image to it with balena etcher), to have it serially fail to write - and on analysing the thing, found it to be USB 1.0.

It may not be fake though, just a poor implementation...https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/08 ... st-wd-say/

On Thursday, two more lawsuits were filed against Western Digital over its SanDisk Extreme series and My Passport portable SSDs. That brings the number of class-action complaints filed against Western Digital to three in two days.

In May, Ars Technica reported about customer complaints that claimed SanDisk Extreme SSDs were abruptly wiping data and becoming unmountable. Ars senior editor Lee Hutchinson also experienced this problem with two Extreme SSDs. Western Digital, which owns SanDisk, released a firmware update in late May, saying that currently shipping products weren't impacted. But the company didn't mention customer complaints of lost data, only that drives could "unexpectedly disconnect from a computer."

Further, last week The Verge claimed a replacement drive it received after the firmware update still wiped its data and became unreadable, and there are some complaints on Reddit pointing to recent problems with Extreme drives.
Cont.

I've got a load of Sandisk USB flash thumb drives, and my C drive is a Sandisk SSD, that was an RMA replacement for a previous failed Sandisk SSD.
Thankfully that's the only failure I've had so far, and I checked all my USB drives with the Validrive software last week. All hunky dory.

newlyretired
2 Lemon pips

Postby newlyretired » November 22nd, 2023, 7:50 pm

OK, I just ordered a couple of 982 GB USB 3.0 Oudley memory sticks from Amazon - star rating 4.8 …
…sure enough Validrive shows that they are actually fake (with 64 GB memory).

I went ahead and left a one star review on Amazon, and I noticed several other recent one star reviews. However my review and all the other one star reviews have disappeared!

What on earth are Amazon playing at?

newlyretired

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 22nd, 2023, 9:25 pm

newlyretired wrote:OK, I just ordered a couple of 982 GB USB 3.0 Oudley memory sticks from Amazon - star rating 4.8 …
…sure enough Validrive shows that they are actually fake (with 64 GB memory).

I went ahead and left a one star review on Amazon, and I noticed several other recent one star reviews. However my review and all the other one star reviews have disappeared!

What on earth are Amazon playing at?

newlyretired

Leaving aside the looking like a duck aspect of these listings - were you refunded?

newlyretired
2 Lemon pips

Postby newlyretired » November 22nd, 2023, 10:36 pm

servodude wrote:Leaving aside the looking like a duck aspect of these listings - were you refunded?

Yes, I have arranged to return them, and I’m confident that I will be refunded. That’s something that Amazon are generally pretty good about.

newlyretired

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 22nd, 2023, 10:39 pm

newlyretired wrote:
servodude wrote:Leaving aside the looking like a duck aspect of these listings - were you refunded?

Yes, I have arranged to return them, and I’m confident that I will be refunded. That’s something that Amazon are generally pretty good about.

newlyretired

I suppose they think it is easier to deal with things that way than properly vet the reviews.
Pretty poor show that they remove them leaving a misrepresentative overview

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » November 22nd, 2023, 11:04 pm

newlyretired wrote:What on earth are Amazon playing at?

newlyretired

Anything they want. The big tech companies are a law unto themselves. And governments are too scared to take them on.

Two-thirds of all online shopping scams now start on Facebook and Instagram

https://www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/medi ... agram.html

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 22nd, 2023, 11:22 pm

Redmires wrote:
...Two-thirds of all online shopping scams now start on Facebook and Instagram

https://www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/medi ... agram.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6_FgEn5HjU
I made a fake facebook account to troll romance scammers and it's been hilarious.

newlyretired
2 Lemon pips

Postby newlyretired » November 23rd, 2023, 9:52 am

newlyretired wrote:What on earth are Amazon playing at?

My suspicion is that Amazon’s algorithm is trying to suppress fake reviews, but it’s certainly getting it completely wrong!

newlyretired

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 24th, 2023, 12:08 pm

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 24th, 2023, 2:46 pm

Infrasonic wrote:https://www.fakespot.com/

Hmmm, very marmite reviews https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fakespot-fake-reviews-amazon/reviews/

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”