Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Replacing PC - which software

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Replacing PC - which software

Postby ReformedCharacter » October 31st, 2023, 8:09 pm

FWIW my guess is that the problem is caused by the fact that the clone was made via USB:

If a portable device (e.g. an external USB device) is connected to the Target Drive for cloning, then this
software may not function properly because of the USB adapter.

https://download.semiconductor.samsung.com/resources/user-manual/Samsung_SSD_Data_Migration_User_Manual_English_US_revision_v6.pdf

So if the PC does not boot without errors then I'd suggest cloning via SATA, temporarily disconnecting the CD\DVD if another port is not available on the motherboard.

RC

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » October 31st, 2023, 8:20 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:FWIW my guess is that the problem is caused by the fact that the clone was made via USB:

If a portable device (e.g. an external USB device) is connected to the Target Drive for cloning, then this

https://download.semiconductor.samsung.com/resources/user-manual/Samsung_SSD_Data_Migration_User_Manual_English_US_revision_v6.pdf

So if the PC does not boot without errors then I'd suggest cloning via SATA, temporarily disconnecting the CD\DVD if another port is not available on the motherboard.

RC

If I need to try via CD/DVD port, what do I do about the first clone already on the the SSD? Would there likely be some conflict?

The other thought I had: if I'm cloning the PC an'all, am I not possibly cloning whatever is preventing the HD from booting up normally?

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » October 31st, 2023, 8:24 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:FWIW my guess is that the problem is caused by the fact that the clone was made via USB:

RC

Does this have any relevance here?

15. If the Target Drive is a Samsung NVMe SSD and it does not have the Samsung NVMe Driver installed
on it, then this software may not function properly.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » October 31st, 2023, 8:26 pm

Arborbridge wrote:

RC

If I need to try via CD/DVD port, what do I do about the first clone already on the the SSD? Would there likely be some conflict?

The other thought I had: if I'm cloning the PC an'all, am I not possibly cloning whatever is preventing the HD from booting up normally?

Arb.

The new clone will completely overwrite the old one. Since your PC is still working - albeit showing disk errors - it is likely that the clone will be fine.

RC

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 31st, 2023, 8:36 pm

Arborbridge wrote:Does this have any relevance here?

15. If the Target Drive is a Samsung NVMe SSD and it does not have the Samsung NVMe Driver installed
on it, then this software may not function properly.

No. An NVMe SSD is a drive on an internal card, not in a sealed "box" like yours. E.g. https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2066798

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 2nd, 2023, 12:35 pm

This morning I plucked up courage and changed drives.

Unplugged the old one, plugged in the SSD and to my relief it booted up normally. I haven't fully road tested the system yet, but everything seems to work as normal - though faster - so far.

My thanks to all my Lemon friends who guided me and persuaded my I could do this thing while knowing almost nothing about what I was doing.

As somebody commented: "Switch off, unplug the old drive, plug in the new. It is really as simple as that".

I just hope I haven't spoken too soon!

Arb.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » November 2nd, 2023, 1:11 pm

Arborbridge wrote:This morning I plucked up courage and changed drives.

Unplugged the old one, plugged in the SSD and to my relief it booted up normally. I haven't fully road tested the system yet, but everything seems to work as normal - though faster - so far.

My thanks to all my Lemon friends who guided me and persuaded my I could do this thing while knowing almost nothing about what I was doing.

As somebody commented: "Switch off, unplug the old drive, plug in the new. It is really as simple as that".

Arb.

Very glad to hear you had a good outcome. Well done.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 2nd, 2023, 2:04 pm

BullDog wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:This morning I plucked up courage and changed drives.

Arb.

Very glad to hear you had a good outcome. Well done.

And even more: well done Lemons!

I'm constantly amazed at how people here are willing to spend time - often at great length - sharing detailed knowledge to help others. Altruism in practice.

Arb.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”