Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

Best VPN ?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
scotview
Lemon Quarter

Best VPN ?

Postby scotview » October 28th, 2023, 6:04 pm

We were just eating our brisket salad and the misses says "I think we need a VPN" :shock:

What does a VPN actually do.

How does it operate within a home network.

What is the best one ? I see NordVPN mentioned a lot.

Thanks (a sign of the times maybe)

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Re: Best VPN ?

Postby Urbandreamer » October 28th, 2023, 6:57 pm

I don't use one myself, however VPN stands for Virtual Private Network.

It can prevent man-in-the-middle attacks, but people mostly use them to appear to be elsewhere. For example to watch Iplayer when abroad or alternatively to watch American football in this country. I would argue that it's essential if you were to spend much time in China behind its censoring firewall.

It can add a layer of protection when using free WiFi when out and about.

Usually people pay a company like Nord which allows them to select where they seem to access the internet from.

It's not normally considered a home network thing, though it is possible to host your own VPN at home to allow you access to your home network from outside the house. That's quite unusual though.

We did have one at work, which allowed access to network drives, the company Wiki (with it's propriety data) and even the printers, though you would have had to have someone pick up your print job. Very useful when the covid lock downs happened.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » October 28th, 2023, 7:19 pm

scotview wrote:We were just eating our brisket salad and the misses says "I think we need a VPN" :shock:

I use Nord and am very happy with it. However, if you subscribe you will get an account webpage, make sure not to select 'auto-renew' or whatever it is called - you may have to deselect it - because you will be charged full price automatically when your subscription ends. There are always deals for Nord and probably other VPNs. Allow your subscription to lapse then get a new deal, here's an example:

https://nordvpn.com/pricing/

Nord and - probably other providers - provide a browser extension \ app which you can click and choose your apparent location from a list of most countries in the world, it's very easy to use.

RC

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 29th, 2023, 12:46 am

ReformedCharacter wrote:
scotview wrote:We were just eating our brisket salad and the misses says "I think we need a VPN" :shock:

I use Nord and am very happy with it. However, if you subscribe you will get an account webpage, make sure not to select 'auto-renew' or whatever it is called - you may have to deselect it - because you will be charged full price automatically when your subscription ends. There are always deals for Nord and probably other VPNs. Allow your subscription to lapse then get a new deal, here's an example:

Nord and - probably other providers - provide a browser extension \ app which you can click and choose your apparent location from a list of most countries in the world, it's very easy to use.

RC

Second the nod for Nord; been using it for years.

It has options that make it look quite unlike VPN traffic if needed; which can be really useful depending on what you need to do.

In addition to security, streaming and shopping it can be handy to use it to relocate traffic to test web services - not least to see how displayed info copes with requests from different timezones

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » October 29th, 2023, 6:53 am

servodude wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote:I use Nord and am very happy with it. However, if you subscribe you will get an account webpage, make sure not to select 'auto-renew' or whatever it is called - you may have to deselect it - because you will be charged full price automatically when your subscription ends. There are always deals for Nord and probably other VPNs. Allow your subscription to lapse then get a new deal, here's an example:

RC

Second the nod for Nord; been using it for years.

It has options that make it look quite unlike VPN traffic if needed; which can be really useful depending on what you need to do.

In addition to security, streaming and shopping it can be handy to use it to relocate traffic to test web services - not least to see how displayed info copes with requests from different timezones

I use Surfshark and am very happy with it, though I doubt there's much difference between the other biggies, Nord and Express. Surfshark allows you to install it on lots of devices and also has a function that tricks the GPS into thinking it's in the same place as the VPN. However, this only works if there's an internet connection, so it's useful to have other GPS fakers available on the phone. Surfshark also lets you double hop for extra security - i.e. pass through two VPNs, e.g. from UK to Australia to Albania etc. Nice to play with but rather overkill if you're not the bad guy in a James Bond movie.

When I use Surfshark on my phones, I also keep open an IP location app and Google maps, to see if all is working correctly. There are also a few free VPNs around, though they tend to be limited in which locations you can choose.

Steve

PS Re. privacy, I read on their site that the Swiss Proton VPN allows you to pay the annual charge in cash. Again, rather overkill for most! 8-)

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 29th, 2023, 7:31 am

Why? As noted by others, there are a couple of reasons for using for VPNs but what is yours?

While I usually use Firefox for my browser I also have Opera installed which has a free built in VPN and I fire that up when I come across a (usually US) site that doesn't want me to access it from the UK (usually 'cos they don't want to play by GDPR). The location choices are limited to "Americas", "Europe" & "Asia" but that's always been good enough.

On my laptop I have Windscribe installed, which is free albeit limited to 10GB/month, but I only use it when away from home and connecting to insecure WiFis.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » October 29th, 2023, 7:37 am

stevensfo wrote:PS Re. privacy, I read on their site that the Swiss Proton VPN allows you to pay the annual charge in cash. Again, rather overkill for most! 8-)

... and Nord allows you to pay in bitcoin or other crypto, as does SurfShark.
https://cybernews.com/best-vpn/vpns-with-bitcoin/

BTW, I too am interested in the reason Scot's misses desires to use a VPN.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » October 29th, 2023, 7:53 am

Urbandreamer wrote:
stevensfo wrote:PS Re. privacy, I read on their site that the Swiss Proton VPN allows you to pay the annual charge in cash. Again, rather overkill for most! 8-)

... and Nord allows you to pay in bitcoin or other crypto, as does SurfShark.
https://cybernews.com/best-vpn/vpns-with-bitcoin/

BTW, I too am interested in the reason Scot's misses desires to use a VPN.

Oh you know what women are like. Probably told old school friends on her Facebook groups that she lives in Sunset Boulevard and has Johnny Depp and Tom Cruise as neighbours. Now wondering how to keep up the pretence. 8-)

Steve

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » October 29th, 2023, 8:19 am

I use ProtonVPN, it comes with a wide selection of server sites, protocols and blocking selections.

The paid version also offers encrypted email, as well as encrypted calendar, Drive with 500gb of storage and a browser plugin so you can run the service without the full blown install.

There's also Proton bridge that allows you to open encrypted email on your local client. And a recently introduced password manager.

... and email aliases, which I use in conjunction with Apples unlimited aliases.

So if you are considering subscribing you could also think about it as more than just protection on public wifi, but the opportunity to protect a range of critical services that you might use.

https://proton.me/pricing

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » October 29th, 2023, 8:34 am

I used to use NordVPN, which worked fine most of the time but when it didn't I found their customer service less than helpful so I switched to ExpressVPN which has worked fine ever since. Nothing has ever not worked so I have no idea how their customer service would be.

FWIW I don't use the VPN all the time but rather when accessing foreign sites that tell me I am not allowed in because I'm in the wrong country, so I just put myself where it will let me in. Doubtless this is effectively circumventing something or other so probably a bit of a gray area. C.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 29th, 2023, 9:02 am

48 page PDF comparison white paper here covering most of the well known VPN's across a number of security metrics...https://innovation.consumerreports.org/ ... -Paper.pdf

Whilst it's better to use one than not don't assume that VPN's will magically solve all your privacy and security issues whilst on the internet, it's also down to the device you are using and other variables.

Tailscale is good if you want to create an E2E encrypted network amongst all your client devices - PC's, laptops, phones, NAS et al. Install app on each device, log in once, done. No port forwarding on home routers required. Zero Tier is another option although that's more corporate orientated.

GL.iNET do a great range of travel routers with all the above built in on certain models, as a tick box menu - or even assigning things like the VPN to a hardware switch on the box so it can be turned on and off easily as required.

Use of physical subnets and/or VLANS in the home can also help segment more exposed devices into their own little virtual sandbox e.g. a NAS or IoT device that you need to be able to access from outside the home LAN without leaving it all exposed to possible WAN side malware attacks.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » October 29th, 2023, 9:42 am

csearle wrote:I used to use NordVPN, which worked fine most of the time but when it didn't I found their customer service less than helpful so I switched to ExpressVPN which has worked fine ever since. Nothing has ever not worked so I have no idea how their customer service would be.

FWIW I don't use the VPN all the time but rather when accessing foreign sites that tell me I am not allowed in because I'm in the wrong country, so I just put myself where it will let me in. Doubtless this is effectively circumventing something or other so probably a bit of a gray area. C.

Yes, it's definitely circumventing some rules, but people have been doing this for at least 30 years. In France, there were homesick Brits who bought satellite boxes that allowed them to get the encrypted UK channels. When the coverage range was narrowed, they just bought larger dishes. Later, colleagues in France, Italy etc were registering their Sky boxes in the UK, then bringing them over. In northern Italy, you need a 1.2m dish to get the freesat channels, but using iPlayer with a VPN is so much easier!

Honestly, I have never understood the BBC's obsession with restricting access to channels when other countries don't bother. Totally ludicrous!

Personally, I hardly watch live TV these days, but I do like VPNs and GPS spoofers for when I travel and don't want the people at the other end of apps, Facebook etc knowing where I am.

Steve

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 29th, 2023, 10:07 am

stevensfo wrote:...Honestly, I have never understood the BBC's obsession with restricting access to channels when other countries don't bother. Totally ludicrous!

The BBC will tell you it's because outside the UK the BBC is a commercial organisation who sell the IP licensing rights to their original content - things like the Blue Planet earn them millions a year. I suppose they are worried about people buying UK TV licenses purely as a way to get foreign access to that content for 'free' (ahem).

It's typical for IP license agreements to be done on a regional and/or device basis, remember the early days of YouTube when you could watch certain content on your phone but not your PC or vice versa and you'd get an alert to the effect that the IP rights holder had blocked the use on your device or for your region - that's down to restrictive IP license agreements...

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » October 29th, 2023, 10:37 am

I use Nord. The BBC iPlayer and Netflix seem to perform more reliably when I stop Nord, though just suspending it while I log on and start my programme is often sufficient.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 29th, 2023, 10:43 am

I got a cheap 5 year subscription to PureVPN, which was fine to start with. But then later it completely failed to allow me to use BBC iPlayer in Europe, so I gave up on it.

Now I just have a Raspberry Pi at home running pivpn, with WireGuard on my phone and tablet to connect to it. Works fine for me.

Scott.

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » October 29th, 2023, 11:06 am

mc2fool wrote:

Why? As noted by others, there are a couple of reasons for using for VPNs but what is yours?

Firstly thanks all for taking the time to reply, as usual TLF comes up with the goods !!

My wife would like to use a VPN to increase her security and make here less visible when online.

A couple of questions:

Are VPNs generally compatible with windows11/android/apple built in security or can it clash ?

Does the VPN software need to be loaded on every device within a household using the same hub ?

Sorry for the basic questions.

Thanks

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » October 29th, 2023, 11:14 am

scotview wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Why? As noted by others, there are a couple of reasons for using for VPNs but what is yours?

Firstly thanks all for taking the time to reply, as usual TLF comes up with the goods !!

My wife would like to use a VPN to increase her security and make here less visible when online.

A couple of questions:

Are VPNs generally compatible with windows11/android/apple built in security or can it clash ?

Does the VPN software need to be loaded on every device within a household using the same hub ?

Thanks

There is a LOT more involved in being less visible when online than simply using a VPN.
However in answer to your other questions.
You need VPN software on each device that you wish to use it. Also different software for each OS.
However that doesn't effect the costs, which pay for the computers you are connecting to.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 29th, 2023, 11:33 am

Does your wife travel a lot, stay in hotels with a laptop/phone or is she home based?

For the former get a decent travel router with all the VPN and other encryption goodies (DNS etc.) built in as per my previous post. That way you can run multiple devices - possibly even the hotel TV -through the VPN'd router.

If mostly home based some ISP modem/routers will allow you to set up VPN's / alternative encrypted DNS sources on them, but if going out 'n about you'll probably find installing the preferred VPN app on each phone / tablet/ laptop will be easier.

If you use the mobile 4/5G network for data (i.e. tethered wifi hotspot from your smartphone) rather than public WiFi hotspots that is more secure/private too. Obviously roaming abroad could get very expensive there so securing the public WiFi options as much as possible is still advisable.

You'll need to spend some time studying all the variables - networking, especially of the secure E2E encrypted type isn't simple - it takes a while for it all to sink in. :)

Edit: These PowerCert YT videos explain networking topics very simply in small digestible chunks - once you've got your head around the basics move on to the more detailed techie tutorials...https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ercert+vpn
Last edited by Infrasonic on October 29th, 2023, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 29th, 2023, 11:34 am

Urbandreamer wrote:
scotview wrote:Firstly thanks all for taking the time to reply, as usual TLF comes up with the goods !!

A couple of questions:

Thanks

There is a LOT more involved in being less visible when online than simply using a VPN.
You need VPN software on each device that you wish to use it. Also different software for each OS.
However that doesn't effect the costs, which pay for the computers you are connecting to.

You can set up a VPN on your router if you have a router that supports it. See https://nordvpn.com/blog/setup-vpn-router/.

Of course, that only helps you on your laptop/tablet/mobile phone while you are at home. If you want a VPN on those when you're out and about, connected either by mobile signal or by Wifi hotspots, then you need the VPN software to be loaded on each device that's going walkabout itself.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » October 29th, 2023, 12:33 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Urbandreamer wrote:There is a LOT more involved in being less visible when online than simply using a VPN.

You can set up a VPN on your router if you have a router that supports it. See https://nordvpn.com/blog/setup-vpn-router/.

Of course, that only helps you on your laptop/tablet/mobile phone while you are at home. If you want a VPN on those when you're out and about, connected either by mobile signal or by Wifi hotspots, then you need the VPN software to be loaded on each device that's going walkabout itself.

We have Surfshark on two laptops and three mobile phones, and it's no problem at all to install. What does irritate me slightly is when they want to do updates. Why so often?

It's not just the IP location though. I keep GPS Location switched off most of the time unless I want to use maps or some banking apps. There are banking apps that find your location via your GPS for security reasons, especially when using an ATM. Good idea maybe. If Revolut sees my card being used in the USA while my app shows me in the UK, then that's great. They freeze the card and tell me immediately.

This security business has no end. I was chatting to someone about all this, and they smiled and told me to look up 'Browser Fingerprinting'.

I give up. It's back to the old false moustache and forged Swiss passport for me. 8-)

Steve

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”