Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Inkjet Refills ?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
jaizan
Lemon Slice

Inkjet Refills ?

Postby jaizan » December 16th, 2023, 11:43 am

Is anyone having success with inkjet refills ? ie Drilling a hole and filling with printer ink via a syringe.
Which ink ?

I used to do this, but have been using a laser printer for years.

However, a relative might need a printer for a few months of light use, for black & white only. I found a working HP Inkjet, but the cartridge is nearly empty. I've found a "secret" service menu to reset it, so now all I need is to figure out if there's an ink worth putting in it. She has 2 other printers I could look into refilling instead.

e.g. The Ultrics ink on Amazon. With such things it's always difficult to figure out how many reviews are genuine.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Re: Inkjet Refills ?

Postby mutantpoodle » December 17th, 2023, 8:44 am

as it appears to be only a one off sort requirement isnt it worth taking the easy route and buying a cartridge

i suggest STINKYINK or CARTRIDGEPEOPLE

both offer 'compatible' cartridges and far cheaper than HP originals
and both work in my old HP all in one

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 17th, 2023, 10:08 am

Many years ago I read that much of the development budget when designing an inkjet printer would be expended on developing and formulating the ink. Hence the price of the stuff!

So I doubt injecting your own random ink into an empty cartridge is going to work too well.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » December 17th, 2023, 10:15 am

Mike4 wrote:Many years ago I read that much of the development budget when designing an inkjet printer would be expended on developing and formulating the ink. Hence the price of the stuff!

So I doubt injecting your own random ink into an empty cartridge is going to work too well.

https://www.1ink.com/blog/debunking-oem-inktoner-myths/

There's also articles out there from independent people with scientific credentials who have analysed the chemical make up of OEM/third party inks and come to the conclusion it's 99% marketing BS (quel surprise...). ;)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 17th, 2023, 10:16 am

The trouble with wet stuff and delicate electronics is that you have to be super-careful with keeping them apart. I did once kill a printer head with a leaky cartridge. :(

Another rec for StinkyInk. Been using them on our Canon Pixma for about four years now, and I've never had any problems with either ink or cartridge recognition.

BY

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Postby jaizan » December 17th, 2023, 10:27 am

mutantpoodle wrote:as it appears to be only a one off sort requirement isnt it worth taking the easy route and buying a cartridge

To answer your question:
I have a severe dislike of the printer cartridge business model . Rather than allowing for environmentally friendly & economical topping up of cartridges, they insist on selling replacement cartridges at more than 50% of the cost of the printer. The EU should have dealt with this before minor issues like standardizing phone leads.

Thank you for your recommendations.
(My own printer is a Samsung lazer, which goes on and on with toner from a bottle)

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » December 17th, 2023, 10:37 am

HP and other printer manufacturers have been taken to court and lost class / group action suits over this OEM cartridge issue, especially where they update firmware to block third party use. I've linked to articles about all this before so you can do a search for the details.

Despite being fined millions of dollars they carry on doing it - they are using various copyright/IP laws to hide behind and justify their behaviour in different sovereign territories. Because there are so many vested corporate interests with large lobbying budgets it's very difficult to get the IP legislation changed to be more restrictive in its remits.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

StinkyInk sale

Postby bungeejumper » December 27th, 2023, 8:45 am

Just a heads-up. StinkyInk are doing some quite good deals on cartridges at the moment,although I don't know how long the promotion will last. I've just picked up three five-cartridge sets for our Canon Pixma for £13 apiece, normally between £23 and £26. As I mentioned earlier, I've never had any problems with cartridges being unrecognised.

Worth a look, anyway. https://www.stinkyinkshop.co.uk/

BJ

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » December 27th, 2023, 11:15 am

Our HP deskjet printer/scanner/copier cost a little over £20 several years ago. It prints in colour and black to a high standard.

HP charge me £2.99 a month and send me a new black or colour cartridge when the old one is close to running out. They also provide a free recycling service for returning the empty cartridges.

The scanner function has been invaluable for implementing some financial agreements over the years saving hassle and postage.

For a home printer this seems a good service to me.

regards

Howard

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » December 28th, 2023, 8:44 am

jaizan wrote:
mutantpoodle wrote:as it appears to be only a one off sort requirement isnt it worth taking the easy route and buying a cartridge

To answer your question:
I have a severe dislike of the printer cartridge business model . Rather than allowing for environmentally friendly & economical topping up of cartridges, they insist on selling replacement cartridges at more than 50% of the cost of the printer. The EU should have dealt with this before minor issues like standardizing phone leads.

Thank you for your recommendations.
(My own printer is a Samsung lazer, which goes on and on with toner from a bottle)

BUT you missed ? or chose to not quote the last paragraph

my recommendation of compatible cartridges

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Postby jaizan » December 28th, 2023, 1:10 pm

mutantpoodle wrote:my recommendation of compatible cartridges

The original post was specifically asking about ink to be poured into an existing cartridge.
There are, of course always more expensive & wasteful alternatives, such as new cartridges, new printers etc. I'm sure they work fine. As does the solution I've chosen.

Since we just need a temporary printing facility at an elderly relatives house, I've just bought some "Ultrics" ink off Amazon and refilled a cartridge with ink. This is working fine at present. (Some of the alternative ink suppliers looked fine, but would not have delivered in time).

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”