Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Bluetooth FTMS

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Bluetooth FTMS

Postby JessUK98 » January 4th, 2024, 11:07 am

So, I have a treadmill with Bluetooth FTMS. I can connect to 2 apps fine to display my speed & distance. There is another fitness app that I use which has recently added the capability of connecting to a Bluetooth FTMS enabled treadmill to display your metrics.
However, although this app connects to my treadmill, the data given is incorrect. For example if I do 1.2 miles with a 3 % incline, the app will report this as 0.12 miles and a 0.3% incline. I've tested this on Android & iOS and get the same results.
Is this an app thing or a Bluetooth thing? It seems to be out by a factor of 10.

EDIT - another friend has a different treadmill (a more popular make in the US where the app company is based) and it works fine for them.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Bluetooth FTMS

Postby Infrasonic » January 4th, 2024, 11:24 am

Have a look at the Android/iOS app store reviews and see if anyone else has a similar issue with treadmills.

Leave a review stating the exact make and model number of your treadmill and the version number of the app you are currently on - hopefully the developer will update the app to fix the issue. Often they'll leave a reply comment to that effect.

JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Postby JessUK98 » January 4th, 2024, 2:16 pm

Infrasonic wrote:Have a look at the Android/iOS app store reviews and see if anyone else has a similar issue with treadmills.

Leave a review stating the exact make and model number of your treadmill and the version number of the app you are currently on - hopefully the developer will update the app to fix the issue. Often they'll leave a reply comment to that effect.

Hadn't thought of doing that. Just done, but there was nothing about my problem there. Looks like the last time the developers replied to any reviews was a year ago though so I'm not hopeful.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » January 4th, 2024, 2:30 pm

When was the app last updated, that's often a good sign as to how conscientious they are as developers - if it's more than six months since an update it may well end up dying.

Also watch out for it being taken over /sold on and changing direction - fitness apps can have issues from a privacy perspective due to the amount of data they collect (which they can sell on via data brokers) so can be a target for malicious developers to attack...
https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-best- ... -services/

JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Postby JessUK98 » January 4th, 2024, 3:54 pm

Infrasonic wrote:When was the app last updated, that's often a good sign as to how conscientious they are as developers - if it's more than six months since an update it may well end up dying.

Also watch out for it being taken over /sold on and changing direction - fitness apps can have issues from a privacy perspective due to the amount of data they collect (which they can sell on via data brokers) so can be a target for malicious developers to attack...
https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-best- ... -services/

It was last updated yesterday. Just says bug fixes. It’s a reputable company (Peloton), don’t think they will be going anywhere soon (unless Apple buys them at some point).

BigB
Lemon Slice

Postby BigB » January 4th, 2024, 4:14 pm

Is there a forum for the treadmill manufacturer - any threads showing anything similar? Is there an app for the treadmill to facilitate you making any firmware updates to the treadmill?

If your treadmill is reporting distance correctly in some apps (but not Peloton) and some other treadmills are reporting distance correctly to Peleton, it sounds like it could be a combination of your device and app version that are incompatible.

In both app and treadmill, are there settings where you can change the measure (say from miles to km) and then start again, record, and then revert, to see if that flushes out any silly bugs.

I had some erratic data issues a couple of years ago between a bluetooth connected bike trainer (Elite) and uploading to Zwift, which sounds like a similar scenario to yours in terms of hardware devices and software apps. Never fully resolved, but essentially once established there is not a clear big error for the senior partner (Peleton or Zwift), had to try to pursue with the junior partner to see if they could confirm compatibility/provide update etc..

JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Postby JessUK98 » January 4th, 2024, 8:32 pm

BigB wrote:Is there a forum for the treadmill manufacturer - any threads showing anything similar? Is there an app for the treadmill to facilitate you making any firmware updates to the treadmill?

If your treadmill is reporting distance correctly in some apps (but not Peloton) and some other treadmills are reporting distance correctly to Peleton, it sounds like it could be a combination of your device and app version that are incompatible.

In both app and treadmill, are there settings where you can change the measure (say from miles to km) and then start again, record, and then revert, to see if that flushes out any silly bugs.

I had some erratic data issues a couple of years ago between a bluetooth connected bike trainer (Elite) and uploading to Zwift, which sounds like a similar scenario to yours in terms of hardware devices and software apps. Never fully resolved, but essentially once established there is not a clear big error for the senior partner (Peleton or Zwift), had to try to pursue with the junior partner to see if they could confirm compatibility/provide update etc..

It's a Reebok Jet 100z treadmill, I can't see any official forums for Reebok (likewise nothing for Peloton), and a google search hasn't found anything at all. I think my problem will be that I'm probably in the extreme minority of people that has this make of treadmill and wants to use it with the Peloton app. Up until now I've been happily just connecting my Apple watch and using that to record distance on the app. The option to record speed and elevation from the treadmill would have been nice though. It connects to Zwift just fine, and Kinomap as well (which actually controls the incline). I've been doing my workout on the Peloton app connected to my Apple watch on my iPad while running Zwift on my phone connected to the treadmill and the Apple watch is usually only about 0.20ish miles off Zwift.

I can't see how to factory reset my treadmill, I'll have a look at the manual later and see if I can also change it to kph from mph and same on the app. Probably won't do anything but worth a try.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » January 4th, 2024, 8:52 pm

https://www.reebokfitness.info/treadmill-manuals

Had a quick look but couldn't see anything around firmware/apps.

The Peloton app working with third party kit is very recent according to this article..https://www.theverge.com/2023/12/17/240 ... riber-only

So I'd persist in badgering Peloton to fix their app to work correctly with the Reebok treadmill. :D

JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Postby JessUK98 » January 4th, 2024, 9:49 pm

Infrasonic wrote:https://www.reebokfitness.info/treadmill-manuals

Had a quick look but couldn't see anything around firmware/apps.

The Peloton app working with third party kit is very recent according to this article..https://www.theverge.com/2023/12/17/240 ... riber-only

So I'd persist in badgering Peloton to fix their app to work correctly with the Reebok treadmill. :D

Yeah, it's very recent.
I've tried changing both the kph but that gives exactly the same results.
I have found an email for Peloton support so I've popped them off an email as well.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”