Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Fakespot

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Fakespot

Postby GrahamPlatt » January 8th, 2024, 8:42 am

Just thought I’d bring this to your attention

https://www.fakespot.com/

Owned by the Mozilla Foundation (as in Firefox).

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Re: Fakespot

Postby chas49 » January 8th, 2024, 1:43 pm

This extract from the Privacy Policy is worth considering!

We may collect personal information automatically when you use our Services.

Automatic Collection of Personal Information. We may collect the following information automatically when you use our Services:
Identifiers:
User ID: Such as screen name, handle, account ID, or other user- or account-level ID that can be used to identify a particular user or account. This information could be provided via your Fakespot account, Apple ID, Google Account, or other accounts you may use on the Services. User ID also includes your account password, other credentials, security questions, and confirmation codes.
(My bold added)

https://www.fakespot.com/privacy-notice

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » January 8th, 2024, 7:36 pm

chas49 wrote:This extract from the Privacy Policy is worth considering!

We may collect personal information automatically when you use our Services.

Automatic Collection of Personal Information. We may collect the following information automatically when you use our Services:
Identifiers:
User ID: Such as screen name, handle, account ID, or other user- or account-level ID that can be used to identify a particular user or account. This information could be provided via your Fakespot account, Apple ID, Google Account, or other accounts you may use on the Services. User ID also includes your account password, other credentials, security questions, and confirmation codes.

I have a feeling I saw something similar on Malwarebytes Browser Guard, basically saying we'll give all your data to whoever wants it. Malwarebytes say my securirty is only at 90% without it. That's not what I'm paying Malwarebytes for - I declined to install it. Am I being paranoid?

Supplementary question and apologies for hijacking the thread : Malwarebytes vs Windows Defender. Which would you chose (my MB subscription is up at the end of the month!)

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » January 8th, 2024, 10:39 pm

Windows Defender + Malwarebytes Free works for me. No active protection with the free version but Windows Defender takes care of that. I've never had an issue with virus's/scams/malware/ransomware in 35+ years.

PS. I've just watched a program called 'Scam Interceptors'. I'm beginning to think that people should have to pass an exam before being allowed to use a computer or smartphone.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » January 8th, 2024, 11:41 pm

Maroochydore wrote:
chas49 wrote:This extract from the Privacy Policy is worth considering!

I have a feeling I saw something similar on Malwarebytes Browser Guard, basically saying we'll give all your data to whoever wants it. Malwarebytes say my securirty is only at 90% without it. That's not what I'm paying Malwarebytes for - I declined to install it. Am I being paranoid?

Supplementary question and apologies for hijacking the thread : Malwarebytes vs Windows Defender. Which would you chose (my MB subscription is up at the end of the month!)

A quick scan of the Malwarebytes Privacy Policy suggests they explicitly promise not to give your data to anyone else, and I couldn't see any mention of collecting login data like Fakespot - I may be wrong though.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”