Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Recommendation sought for free PDF editing software

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Recommendation sought for free PDF editing software

Postby MDW1954 » February 11th, 2024, 2:44 pm

I have a very occasional need to edit PDFs -- usually forms. I've got such a need now. Adobe want to charge me £19.97 a month for a subscription, and you have to enter debit card details to even access the seven day free trial.

Can anyone point me to a free PDF editor not laden with malware etc?

Cheers

MDW1954

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: Recommendation sought for free PDF editing software

Postby kempiejon » February 11th, 2024, 2:51 pm

I've done a work around before with google docs. Put PDF in GDrive, open in docs, edit in docs download as PDF. It was several years ago so have little practice and I can't comment on full functionality but for editing text was fine. Forms with tick boxes, drop downs etc I don't know.

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » February 11th, 2024, 2:59 pm

kempiejon wrote:I've done a work around before with google docs. Put PDF in GDrive, open in docs, edit in docs download as PDF. It was several years ago so have little practice and I can't comment on full functionality but for editing text was fine. Forms with tick boxes, drop downs etc I don't know.

Good suggestion, but unfortunately it mangles the form too much -- all the lines and boxes etc are missing. Just the text remains.

MDW1954

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » February 11th, 2024, 3:03 pm

Might be worth trying a modern version of Word or Libre Office, and another online suggestion here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qc68x859FA

RC

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » February 11th, 2024, 3:14 pm

MDW1954 wrote:
kempiejon wrote:I've done a work around before with google docs. Put PDF in GDrive, open in docs, edit in docs download as PDF. It was several years ago so have little practice and I can't comment on full functionality but for editing text was fine. Forms with tick boxes, drop downs etc I don't know.

Good suggestion, but unfortunately it mangles the form too much -- all the lines and boxes etc are missing. Just the text remains.

MDW1954
I suspected that. Lumin is another google/PDF I used but I can't even remember if that was an editor. Work bought Adobe.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » February 11th, 2024, 3:35 pm

Take a look at Sejda PDF. You can download the free version (processes locally rather than in the cloud) for occasional use - limits apply - or there's a free online version as well

Just Google "Sejda PDF".

No association just an occasional user

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » February 11th, 2024, 3:59 pm

If you're a Windows user, the Edge browser now has pdf editing functionality built in.

These pages should provide enough information for you to determine whether it is sufficient for your needs:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/le ... orm=MA13I2

and:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deplo ... t-edge-pdf

HTH,

Watis

gpadsa
2 Lemon pips

Postby gpadsa » February 11th, 2024, 4:36 pm

Similarly firefox browser allows form-filling for some PDF files and the saved PDF retains the edits https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/features/pdf-editor/

gpadsa

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » February 11th, 2024, 4:41 pm

Watis wrote:If you're a Windows user, the Edge browser now has pdf editing functionality built in.

Filing in forms, highlighting and adding notes is not editing the PDF. ;) Pretty much any PDF reader will let you do those.

MDW1954 wrote:Can anyone point me to a free PDF editor not laden with malware etc?

No, but on the occasions I've needed to do that I've just looked around for an online PDF->DOC convertor, edited the .doc(x) and then saved or printed it as PDF.

Adobe even have one that I've just tried and on a cursory test seems to do a good job, and it's free, although you do have to sign up. However, how you can edit PDF forms so they stay "live" in another matter.... ;)

https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/acrobat/pdf-to-word

mike
Lemon Slice

Postby mike » February 11th, 2024, 4:55 pm

I've used PDF24 Toolbox desk-top version for some time, although never tested the edit function.

The functions I have used have been those concerning page organisation and all has seemed fine.

gpadsa
2 Lemon pips

Postby gpadsa » February 11th, 2024, 5:17 pm

gpadsa wrote:form-filling for some PDF files

Inkscape works for editing PDF files https://inkscape.org/

gpadsa

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » February 11th, 2024, 6:32 pm

Thanks, everyone. Some useful suggestions there. I can -- and will -- experiment with solutions like Edge and Sejda.

I've had bad experiences with converting to Word and editing, and this is a very complicated 10-page form with graphics. Didn't know that Inkscape would do it, either, and as I have to look at Inkscape in another context, I'll explore that too. Word on its own was useless. Liked what I saw of PDF24, too, as I sometimes need those sorts of capabilities, too.

The solution that I went with was one that came in half way down the thread, which I trialled and it worked very well: Libre Office.

So thank you to everyone again. I'll leave this thread open, in case other suggestions come in that would benefit other posters, but as the original OP, my original request can now be regarded as fully met.

MDW1954

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » February 11th, 2024, 9:08 pm

MDW1954 wrote:So thank you to everyone again. I'll leave this thread open, in case other suggestions come in that would benefit other posters, but as the original OP, my original request can now be regarded as fully met.

MDW1954

Swerving off at a spectacular tangent, is it within the gift of thread-starters to close off a thread then?

I thought all threads remained open for further comments, always.

Edit to add:
Ah but you're a mod on this board perhaps, and mods can lock or hide threads. Yes?

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » February 11th, 2024, 9:24 pm

Mike4 wrote:
MDW1954 wrote:So thank you to everyone again. I'll leave this thread open, in case other suggestions come in that would benefit other posters, but as the original OP, my original request can now be regarded as fully met.

MDW1954

Swerving off at a spectacular tangent, is it within the gift of thread-starters to close off a thread then?

Edit to add:
Ah but you're a mod on this board perhaps, and mods can lock or hide threads. Yes?

It's by no means unknown for threads to be closed by mods once the original question has been answered. There would have been no intention to hide it, merely close it to further additions because the question had been answered. And, in the event, I didn't do anything, so you're kind of complaining about something that didn't happen!

But you raise a good point: I'm a mod on many boards, but I don't actually know if I am on this board.

Sorry, I guess I was on autopilot.

MDW1954

PS: Having checked, I am a mod on this board.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » February 11th, 2024, 9:43 pm

MDW1954 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

Edit to add:

It's by no means unknown for threads to be closed by mods once the original question has been answered. There would have been no intention to hide it, merely close it to further additions because the question had been answered. And, in the event, I didn't do anything, so you're kind of complaining about something that didn't happen!

But you raise a good point: I'm a mod on many boards, but I don't actually know if I am on this board.

Sorry, I guess I was on autopilot.

MDW1954

PS: Having checked, I am a mod on this board.

Apologies I wasn't intending my comment to come across as a complaint. More a case of me wondering if my understanding of how this site worked wasn't quite complete!

Yes I've noticed threads being locked on DAK because the question has been answered but I've not noticed that happening on other boards.

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » February 12th, 2024, 11:13 am

Hi,
For very basic 'editing' I just use my Foxit PDF reader. Like another reply I've got used to adding text boxes or empty boxes to hide stuff. As long as it's not too involved it works for me. The Libre Office (LO) comment was interesting. I prefer LO to word but hadn't thought of editing PDF with it. Never too old to learn.
Ray.

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » February 12th, 2024, 12:34 pm

So, I have a slightly different take on this, I get a lot of PDF's.

I am more concerned about the security issues than saving money, so I have virtual machine running Fedora and a companion machine running Ubuntu on a Raspberry Pi.

The VM cost nothing and I've never found a lack of tools in Linux for working with PDF's or simply converting them to text files. Almost all of them free.

https://opensource.com/alternatives/adobe-acrobat

Do you have the space and energy to try that approach?

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”