Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Mobile Router with LAN connection

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Mobile Router with LAN connection

Postby raybarrow » February 15th, 2024, 5:06 pm

Hi Folks,
I have Huawei mobile router which works fine. We, hopefully, moving into our new place soon. The mobile router works fine in there but doesn't have LAN connection. We are planning to ditch our current Virgin TV, Broadand, Phone package and revert to Freeview Play, Mobiles and Mobile Router. However, it would be useful to have a more 'permanent mobile router', sat quietly in a corner, that we could connect the TV into to get Netflix. Just using the Huawei Mobile Router for when I am out and about. I do DBS verifying and it's useful for that and holidays.
Can anyone reccommend a Mobile Router that would give me 4G, maybe 5G would future proof it but not at the potential extra expense, which has a LAN connection?
Cheers,
Ray.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Re: Mobile Router with LAN connection

Postby Urbandreamer » February 15th, 2024, 5:31 pm

raybarrow wrote:Hi Folks,
I have Huawei mobile router which works fine. We, hopefully, moving into our new place soon. The mobile router works fine in there but doesn't have LAN connection. We are planning to ditch our current Virgin TV, Broadand, Phone package and revert to Freeview Play, Mobiles and Mobile Router. However, it would be useful to have a more 'permanent mobile router', sat quietly in a corner, that we could connect the TV into to get Netflix. Just using the Huawei Mobile Router for when I am out and about. I do DBS verifying and it's useful for that and holidays.
Can anyone reccommend a Mobile Router that would give me 4G, maybe 5G would future proof it but not at the potential extra expense, which has a LAN connection?
Cheers,
Ray.

You need 5G as 4G is disappearing very fast. Sorry but I can't help further than that.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » February 15th, 2024, 5:55 pm

I have a ZTE MC801AHW which works fine for me with a 5G SIM connection. It has 2 wired LAN ports - I use them for a Hive hub and a NAS. It supports 4K streaming on TV wirelessly - it offers WiFi6 - so a wired TV should be fine. It will support a 4G connection to the outside world, and streaming was fine with that as well.

All subject to your local tower of course, but you say you have checked that out.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » February 15th, 2024, 7:21 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:You need 5G as 4G is disappearing very fast. Sorry but I can't help further than that.

No it's 3G that's going. 4G has a good few years left.

Scott.

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » February 15th, 2024, 9:53 pm

Which Huawei router do you have?

I have a Huawei B535 which has 4 LAN ports and 2 aerial connectors (these are connected to an external aerial on the roof but it also has an internal aerial if your reception is good).

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 16th, 2024, 7:31 am

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » February 16th, 2024, 10:11 am

swill453 wrote:
Urbandreamer wrote:You need 5G as 4G is disappearing very fast. Sorry but I can't help further than that.
No it's 3G that's going. 4G has a good few years left.

Yes. 5G has much shorter range than the earlier technologies, so they are going to need many more mast sites. It will be a VERY long time before 5G completely replaces 4G. Maybe never in rural areas.

Gryff

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 16th, 2024, 10:29 am

gryffron wrote:
swill453 wrote:No it's 3G that's going. 4G has a good few years left.

Yes. 5G has much shorter range than the earlier technologies, so they are going to need many more mast sites. It will be a VERY long time before 5G completely replaces 4G. Maybe never in rural areas.

Gryff

Depending on the spectrum licensing in each country there's no reason why 5G can't use lower bands, the issue there is data carrying bandwidth.
But in a sparsely populated rural area low throughput bandwidth is less of an issue due to lower contention ratios.

I've got 2 x 5G smartphones on two networks and live in a city centre - there the 5G drops in and out in a matter of a few feet due to the higher bands being used, so it will definitely need more masts! :lol:

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » February 17th, 2024, 12:41 am

Infrasonic wrote:
gryffron wrote:Yes. 5G has much shorter range than the earlier technologies, so they are going to need many more mast sites. It will be a VERY long time before 5G completely replaces 4G. Maybe never in rural areas.

Gryff

Depending on the spectrum licensing in each country there's no reason why 5G can't use lower bands, the issue there is data carrying bandwidth.
But in a sparsely populated rural area low throughput bandwidth is less of an issue due to lower contention ratios.

I've got 2 x 5G smartphones on two networks and live in a city centre - there the 5G drops in and out in a matter of a few feet due to the higher bands being used, so it will definitely need more masts! :lol:

Yup the lower end of 5G can get down to around 600MHz (depending on how the space has been carved up) - easily giving range similar (or theoretical better) to 3G

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » February 17th, 2024, 10:39 am

Hi Folks,
I have a ZTE MC801AHW which works fine for me with a 5G SIM connection. It has 2 wired LAN ports

Whilst that is more than I want to spend it reminds me that we have two TV so a second, or more, Lan connection would be useful with a plug in range extender.
Good call, hadn't processed that detail.
Ray.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » February 17th, 2024, 11:01 am

I bought a TP Link 4G LTE router for emergency use but haven't actually used it yet:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Wireless-Connection-Configuration-Management/dp/B016ZWXYXG

RC

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”