Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Anyone suggest a decent budget smartphone?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Anyone suggest a decent budget smartphone?

Postby tjh290633 » March 4th, 2024, 1:36 pm

On a Motorola G8 you go to settings, then select sounds, then ring and then adjust the volume. Changing the ring tone does not affect the volume.

TJH

elkay
Lemon Slice

Postby elkay » March 4th, 2024, 2:01 pm

One option to consider would be a second-hand phone from CEX. Whilst they are relatively expensive for second-hand goods, the conditional of their "B" grade is typically very good, you get 2 years warranty, and you can return for a refund within 2 weeks if you find it isn't suitable.

elkay

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 4th, 2024, 2:07 pm

tlf67482 wrote:Thanks everyone for suggestions. It is all still very confusing with "hundreds" of models to choose from and difficult to distinguish between!

That does seem to be the problem!

Whenever my thoughts have turned to getting a smart phone I take a look online and, after a few minutes, decide to give up and feel I need a lie down in a darkened room for at least half an hour. Then just carry on using my Nokia...

Also... the Nokia just works! Recently a friend got a new smart phone: it's so smart it won't even allow me to ring her. This caused some bad words with her ("I didn't block you!"), me to spend more time on my Nokia to the ISP helpdesk than I have over the entire 20 years or so of owning my phone - not to any avail.

I now see online there is a 'well known' bug that effects certain models of LG smart phones with Android OS, Google App etc. etc.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » March 4th, 2024, 2:41 pm

I'm a bit late to the party so apologies oif this has been said already...

Ive had samsung A13/14s for a few years now - you'll pick up a 2nd hand 32Gb A13 (4G) for easily under £80. Probably get a new/refurbished one for about £100. 64 Gb maybe another £20.

As for "bloatware" - well, android is android so it comes with what it comes with. But its a simple enough process to then just remove the apps you don't need. UPDATE: of course ive now realised samsungs come with samsung apps on top - but they just get uninstalled in a few minutes. Id imagine other makes do similar

I have never owned an iphone so cant comment but from my extremely limited understanding if an android is out of your budget than a similar vintage and spec iphone definitely will be.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » March 4th, 2024, 2:50 pm

If buying S/H refurbed just check on the OS updates situation for prospective models - If it is out of support now or soon then using on the internet is not a great idea after OS updates stop.

Android OS support will vary according to the OEM - anywhere from 2 years up to 8+ (Fairphone).

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » March 4th, 2024, 3:05 pm

XFool wrote:Also... the Nokia just works! Recently a friend got a new smart phone: it's so smart it won't even allow me to ring her. This caused some bad words with her ("I didn't block you!"), me to spend more time on my Nokia to the ISP helpdesk than I have over the entire 20 years or so of owning my phone - not to any avail.

I now see online there is a 'well known' bug that effects certain models of LG smart phones with Android OS, Google App etc. etc.

Any chance of a link to info of this well known bug?

To be fair Apple did once have a problem that their phones didn't work if you held them in your hand.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ems-solved
Of course that had nothing to do with the Iphone being a smartphone and everything to do with a specific handset design.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 4th, 2024, 3:49 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:
XFool wrote:Also... the Nokia just works! Recently a friend got a new smart phone: it's so smart it won't even allow me to ring her.

Any chance of a link to info of this well known bug?

There seem to be so many of them... But this sounded likely to me:

How to Fix the Android Bug Blocking Your Phone Calls

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-fix-the-android-bug-blocking-your-phone-calls-1847590172

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 4th, 2024, 3:58 pm

XFool wrote:
tlf67482 wrote:Thanks everyone for suggestions. It is all still very confusing with "hundreds" of models to choose from and difficult to distinguish between!

Also... the Nokia just works! Recently a friend got a new smart phone: it's so smart it won't even allow me to ring her.

I switched from an "old" flip phone to a smart phone about 5 years ago. As much as my new phone does all kinds of clever things, purely as a phone for making and receiving calls, it is inferior to my old Nokia. As a simple example accepting a call now requires me to "sweep" my finger in a certain direction, a process that is clumsy and a bit hit and miss. I sometimes feel like I should have kept the Nokia for calls and use the new phone only as a mobile computer.

didds wrote:Ive had samsung A13/14s for a few years now - you'll pick up a 2nd hand 32Gb A13 (4G) for easily under £80. Probably get a new/refurbished one for about £100. 64 Gb maybe another £20.

I bought a new A10, which is presumably similar, for about £100 and it works fine. Battery life is shorter than my other phone (A70) and obviously the screen is more squinty. But for my unsophisticated needs, it does the job.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » March 4th, 2024, 10:41 pm

tjh290633 wrote:On a Motorola G8 you go to settings, then select sounds, then ring and then adjust the volume. Changing the ring tone does not affect the volume.

TJH

while It doesn't change the volume settings but it can radically change the loudness of the sound emitted

Ringtones are just audio files, if you want the loudest ring on your phone you should start by having a "loud" sound at large amplitude in the file used.

I often use snips of memorable music, cos I'll notice them quickly
- for a while now its been the horn riff in "Tell Me When My Light Turns Green" by Dexys (specificlally the section after the solo)
- it's much more noticeable than anything that came with the phone

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”