Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Facebook app orientation

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Facebook app orientation

Postby staffordian » March 10th, 2024, 11:02 pm

I use the Facebook app on a Samsung tablet and since yesterday it has changed how it can be viewed.

I tend to use the tablet in landscape mode and the Facebook app has been fine in either that or portrait (e.g. to view some portrait oriented videos).

But since sometime yesterday, as soon as I open it, it only displays in portrait. No other apps are affected.

Strangely, if I go to the Facebook settings, that page will display either way, but as soon as I exit the settings, it flips to portrait.

Has anyone else come across this issue? I'm not sure if I've inadvertently done something or if it's a new 'feature' after an update, but if the latter, then my Google skills have failed to find a reference to it.

I've tried the usual, i.e. uninstalling and reinstalling the app, restarting the tablet, clearing the Facebook app cache, but to no avail.

Any thoughts welcome, thanks!

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Facebook app orientation

Postby monabri » March 10th, 2024, 11:11 pm

I've a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 2018 SM-T590 running Android 10. Facebook displays ok in both Landscape AND portrait when I rotate the screen.

Have you accidentally turned off the "auto rotate" in settings?

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » March 11th, 2024, 8:19 am

monabri wrote:I've a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 2018 SM-T590 running Android 10. Facebook displays ok in both Landscape AND portrait when I rotate the screen.

Have you accidentally turned off the "auto rotate" in settings?

Unfortunately, no. That was my first thought, but it's not, and every other app still auto rotates.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 11th, 2024, 8:42 am

You might not be alone...( I googled " facebook only works in portrait")

( skip over the first 2 comments)

https://www.reddit.com/r/facebook/comme ... otate_for/

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » March 11th, 2024, 11:09 am

monabri wrote:You might not be alone...( I googled " facebook only works in portrait")

( skip over the first 2 comments)

https://www.reddit.com/r/facebook/comme ... otate_for/

Thanks, looks like there's no real explanation or resolution, from a quick glance at that.

I must admit, I saw a few similar references yesterday when I started looking onto the issue, but I ignored them as they were a year or so old, and I wrongly assumed a new release over the last day or so must be to blame

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 13th, 2024, 5:00 pm

a bot wrote:Facebook app offers a versatile orientation, catering to both portrait and landscape modes on mobile devices. Users can seamlessly switch between orientations based on preference or device orientation lock. This adaptability enhances user experience by allowing comfortable browsing and interaction regardless of device orientation.

No that's wrong. As described in the OP, and in my experience, Facebook orientation on a landscape tablet is inconsistent, and prone to arbitrary changes in behaviour which make it difficult to use.

(No comments please on the type of user I just responded to :-) )

Scott.

Moderator Message:
Post deleted as a likely bot - user has now been banned as well! (chas49)

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Postby jaizan » Yesterday, 8:03 pm

staffordian wrote:But since sometime yesterday, as soon as I open it, it only displays in portrait. No other apps are affected.
Strangely, if I go to the Facebook settings, that page will display either way, but as soon as I exit the settings, it flips to portrait.

On my Samsung tablet, the Fakebook app has only been displaying in portrait mode for quite some time. This is an irritation, as my heavy duty cover has a stand which supports the tablet in landscape. If I want to view in portrait, I have to hold it.

Allowing one company to be so dominant in a sector means they can do what they like.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » Yesterday, 8:45 pm

jaizan wrote:
staffordian wrote:But since sometime yesterday, as soon as I open it, it only displays in portrait. No other apps are affected.

On my Samsung tablet, the Fakebook app has only been displaying in portrait mode for quite some time. This is an irritation, as my heavy duty cover has a stand which supports the tablet in landscape. If I want to view in portrait, I have to hold it.

Allowing one company to be so dominant in a sector means they can do what they like.

Yeah, but you’re still using it.

Just say No. Go on, you can do it.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”