Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Random crashes/boot loops

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Random crashes/boot loops

Postby Infrasonic » March 11th, 2024, 7:04 pm

Event Viewer

I've changed the W10 power plan to balanced and it's been completely stable today - I'll see how it goes but it might be the power supply capacitors getting a bit flaky after 10 years and struggling under high load.
I ran full hardware diagnostic checks, sfc/scannow, CHKDSK etc. with nothing showing up.

I've set up a custom log for critical alerts too just to save time ploughing through the event viewer in future.

torata
Lemon Slice

Re: Random crashes/boot loops

Postby torata » March 15th, 2024, 3:19 am

Infrasonic wrote:Event Viewer

I've changed the W10 power plan to balanced and it's been completely stable today - I'll see how it goes but it might be the power supply capacitors getting a bit flaky after 10 years and struggling under high load.
I ran full hardware diagnostic checks, sfc/scannow, CHKDSK etc. with nothing showing up.

I've set up a custom log for critical alerts too just to save time ploughing through the event viewer in future.

Interested to hear what others say.
My laptop suddenly crashes/reboots occasionally with the same event viewer logs.
I haven't got round to looking into it properly, but it only started happening after I changed over the detachable battery for a replacement, and when running unplugged for around 90 mins. I had intended re-calibrating the battery/s to see if that would help, but discovered that if I plugged it in before 90 mins were up, it was fine... So another thing on my one day sometime list.

torata

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » March 15th, 2024, 8:44 am

On battery it's a peak current draw issue, I've had it happen with phones when the batteries get old and you can get into boot loops or crashes when the battery runs down a bit.

New batteries are often old stock, so they aren't even full capacity when they go in.

Even if you full factory reset the device first and power cycle as recommended to calibrate they might not ever reach full capacity. I've seen it happen multiple times now after DIY and shop phone battery replacements and had it confirmed in the battery app I run.

My desktop crashed once yesterday whilst an hour into a 1080/60 YT video, thermals were fine, pretty certain it's the PSU struggling or a MB issue on the power side when the CPU load is high.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » March 21st, 2024, 12:46 pm

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log

Will help slim down the C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log to a readable amount if you do an admin sfc/scannow prompt looking for errors.

Just had another crash loop, found some errors via sfc, still trying to trace the exact cause before I contact the repair shop round the corner... :lol:

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » March 21st, 2024, 1:14 pm

I've changed the power plan to power saver now, just to see if it's PSU spikes via CPU turbo/overclock spikes that are the issue - getting there, albeit slowly...

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » March 30th, 2024, 11:53 am

Infrasonic wrote:I've changed the power plan to power saver now, just to see if it's PSU spikes via CPU turbo/overclock spikes that are the issue - getting there, albeit slowly...

Out of curiosity how is your PC now? Have you fully identified the issue and either been able to fix or at least find a way to avoid it?

I've been having my own issues with my 2.5 year old Windows 11 PC over the last few weeks. It would only stay up for maybe 15 minutes before totally freezing and needing a power-button shutdown and restart. Sometimes I got to closer to an hour or even 2 hours up time before a freeze but never longer than that.

I've mostly been trying to get work done in 15 minute chunks (or more when I was lucky) because my PC did always reboot successfully after a freeze and I needed it to get some decisions made and subsequent share trading done in order to fully use my CGT allowance before end of this tax year but that's done now and I think I've found my issue by doing a 'sfc /scannow' on my C: partition that found 3 corrupted Bluetooth driver files and fixed them all.

I'm hoping that was the problem because my PC has now been up for almost 24 hours without any issues. If that was the cause then that's moderately interesting because I always run with Bluetooth (and WiFi) disabled in settings because I don't need them but whatever - I'll definitely take the win if repairing those files has solved my issues.

- Julian

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » March 30th, 2024, 3:19 pm

Julian, no further progress - partly because I've been using my brand new Acer 714 13th gen i5 /8GB RAM/512GB SSD chromebook 2 in 1 much more than the 4460 i5 W10 desktop. A thoroughly enjoyable experience.

I've got a spare ATX 450W PSU lying around in an old AMD MB tower case, so I might try an A/B there and see if there's any resolution.
If so I'll just stick a decent PSU in the W10 box and maybe an X16 GPU.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”