Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Another wifi calling query!

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Another wifi calling query!

Postby bungeejumper » April 20th, 2024, 4:35 pm

Help, I'm drowning in contradictory advice down here on Notspot Farm, and I need to set up some sort of a wifi calling system fairly soon, because my trusty LG K8 will be history after the 3G switch-off. (Or so they tell me.) I've read the viewtopic.php?f=39&t=42632 thread, but it doesn't quite get to my needs. Which are dead simple, honestly!
- "Normal sized" phone (my 5.5 inch LG K8 is the biggest that my trouser pockets can accommodate, thanks.)

- Under £200

- Wifi calling (essential)

- For very, very low usage. I don't even make a dent in my monthly 4GB allowance.

- Cheapish contract, or even PAYG if possible?

And a provider to accept it and make it all work! (I'm currently with Giffgaff, which is cheap but has no wifi calling services at all. Back to the drawing board, then. :|)

I've often read that any modern phone will do wifi calling, except that most providers have only a limited list of phones that they actually support, and for the rest, it's a case of buy the phone and then find out if it works.

I've read that wifi calling is possible with PAYG, and also that it isn't. (Those things can't both be true, can they?)

So, anybody doing roughly what I want? Which phone, and which provider?

Cheers, and thanks in advance!

BJ

the0ni0nking
Lemon Slice

Re: Another wifi calling query!

Postby the0ni0nking » April 20th, 2024, 4:40 pm

I'm fairly sure ID Mobile allow WiFi calling.

My non-work mobile is with them and is £6/month. I never get anywhere near using either the call minutes or the data allowance included within the £6 monthly charge.

You can also set it up on the app to stop you ever going over the £6 charge.

Phone wise I'm on a Samsung M13 bought on Amazon.es for about 120 Euros IIRC. Its not the best phone but serves its purposes as a fall back to my work iPhone. The main thing for me was battery life and this is good on that phone compared to others I've had.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » April 20th, 2024, 5:16 pm

Lebara (piggybacks on Vodafone network) offers Wifi Calling. From experience, the list of phones that Vodafone support for Wifi Calling is limited - and indeed my phone (Moto g82) isn't on the list (or wasn't last time I checked), but I am getting Wifi Calling nevertheless.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » April 20th, 2024, 5:18 pm

I don't think it's correct that different operators support different phones regarding wifi calling but I might be wrong! I think the phones and the operators and their SIMs either do or don't. I need wifi calling and use 1p mobile (O2 network) - various deals available but I use the 'Unlimited UK calls & texts plus 500MB of data per month' option for £48 per year:

https://www.1pmobile.com/1year-calls-texts-500MB-SIM

FWIW I use a Samsung Galaxy M13 which cost £139 from Amazon, although it's too big for your requirements. I find Samsung tends make good kit.

RC

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » April 20th, 2024, 6:27 pm

I get WiFi calling using EE and a Motorola G8. In Android you click on the Settings icon, Network and Internet, Mobile Network, Advanced, WiFi Calling and turn on.

Very simple

TJH

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 20th, 2024, 6:33 pm

tjh290633 wrote:I get WiFi calling using EE and a Motorola G8. In Android you click on the Settings icon, Network and Internet, Mobile Network, Advanced, WiFi Calling and turn on.

Very simple

Thanks Terry. The way I hear it, though, if your particular phone model hasn't been pre-approved by the service provider, you'll never see the Wifi Calling option on that screen. I got that far myself, and it didn't come up. (Everything else did.)

Curiouser and curiouser. Sometimes I really hate dynamic menus! :D

BJ

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » April 20th, 2024, 6:36 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:I get WiFi calling using EE and a Motorola G8. In Android you click on the Settings icon, Network and Internet, Mobile Network, Advanced, WiFi Calling and turn on.

Very simple

Thanks Terry. The way I hear it, though, if your particular phone model hasn't been pre-approved by the service provider, you'll never see the Wifi Calling option on that screen. I got that far myself, and it didn't come up. (Everything else did.)

Curiouser and curiouser. Sometimes I really hate dynamic menus! :D

BJ

I looked it up in the EE app, which gives you chapter and verse for each mobile phone model. Which network are you on?

TJH

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 20th, 2024, 6:48 pm

tjh290633 wrote:I looked it up in the EE app, which gives you chapter and verse for each mobile phone model. Which network are you on?

Currently Giffgaff, which runs on the 02 network.

LOL, can't get EE at all in this rural area, but that's my problem, not yours. Lucky you! :D

BJ

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 20th, 2024, 7:51 pm

MrsF has a Samsung Galaxy S10.

On Sky (O2?) it appears to allow wifi calling.

Paul

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » April 20th, 2024, 10:43 pm

chas49 wrote:Lebara (piggybacks on Vodafone network) offers Wifi Calling. From experience, the list of phones that Vodafone support for Wifi Calling is limited - and indeed my phone (Moto g82) isn't on the list (or wasn't last time I checked), but I am getting Wifi Calling nevertheless.

Just out of interest, I checked the Vodafone list - and my phone isn't on there. However, there's a thread on the Vodafone forum where various people have said it works for them - and it does for me.

This isn't to recommend my phone model to you (although it works for me) - just to say that the information from a network may not necessarily be accurate! Obviously not that helpful to the OP. (I would recommend Lebara as worth considering - and you can get a pretty cheap deal via the well-known website which sounds a bit like honeyravingtextspurt)

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » April 21st, 2024, 2:25 pm

My Motorola G7 on EE PAYG does WiFi calling ( its a bit too big for you )

Rob

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 21st, 2024, 3:34 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
- "Normal sized" [...] 5.5 inch [...] is the biggest that my trouser [...] s can accommodate, thanks.)

BJ

Amazing what you can do with the delete key.

May I suggest you never give a phone interview to an unscrupulous journalist :)

Incidentally the more pocket friendly size is why we went with the S10, there ain't many out there these days with screens under 6 inches, for mainstream you're looking at Android 'Go' versions, Nokia CO2 and Alcatel 1.

Paul

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 21st, 2024, 4:03 pm

DrFfybes wrote:Incidentally the more pocket friendly size is why we went with the S10, there ain't many out there these days with screens under 6 inches, for mainstream you're looking at Android 'Go' versions, Nokia CO2 and Alcatel 1.

Dang, it seems you're right. There goes the sharp hand-tailored cut of my Italian tailoring, then. Unless, that is, I take to carrying a man-bag? Some day I suppose we'll be getting mobile phones on wheels? :?

It seems almost amusing that the trend toward smaller gizmos has gone so sharply into reverse. Can't seem to buy a TV smaller than 40 inches with a decent sound quality either. Yes, we use a third party soundbar on our mere 27 incher, but it's a clunky kind of idea. Whatever is the world coming to?

Bigger and baggier trousers, for a start?

BJ

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » April 21st, 2024, 4:16 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:Incidentally the more pocket friendly size is why we went with the S10, there ain't many out there these days with screens under 6 inches, for mainstream you're looking at Android 'Go' versions, Nokia CO2 and Alcatel 1.

Dang, it seems you're right. There goes the sharp hand-tailored cut of my Italian tailoring, then. Unless, that is, I take to carrying a man-bag? Some day I suppose we'll be getting mobile phones on wheels? :?

It seems almost amusing that the trend toward smaller gizmos has gone so sharply into reverse. Can't seem to buy a TV smaller than 40 inches with a decent sound quality either. Yes, we use a third party soundbar on our mere 27 incher, but it's a clunky kind of idea. Whatever is the world coming to?

BJ

So true. The pinnacle of mobile phone miniaturisation was the Nokia 8210.

Watis

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » April 21st, 2024, 4:29 pm

bungeejumper wrote:

BJ

Well I've used a belt pouch for my phone for decades.
Check Amazon or Ebay, you will find a ton of them.

Coincidentally I had to check an NHS email on my "large" smartphone this week and really struggled with the tiny text. There was only so much that you could zoom it! The thing to remember is that you can have a tiny "phone", if all you intend using it for is a phone. The instant that the screen is important, small doesn't equate to better.

Not sure if the Nokia 8210 does email or WiFi calling. :roll:

Ps, it might be worth restating to all old school phone fans, that you DON'T HAVE A SIGNAL! Also why you need WiFi calling, rather than some app (I suspect to receive 2FA txt's from the bank).

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”