Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Routers, Mesh systems, WAP etc

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
jaizan
Lemon Slice

Routers, Mesh systems, WAP etc

Postby jaizan » April 26th, 2024, 8:24 pm

It's about time I upgraded my router.
1 I definitely want WiFi6 and a proper mech function that will move my mobile devices onto the strongest signal as I move around the house.
2 There are quite a lot of devices in the house. So I don't want to blindly buy a budget device and find it's a constraint on my 900 MBps connection.
3 I have LAN cables running around the house, so wired backhaul is definitely part of the plan.

However, I find the range of options bewildering.

We have:
1 Mesh systems typically packaged stylised boxes
2 Traditional routers which can operate as part of a mesh
3 Systems with controllers and WAPs.

Then, there's a long long list of features.
When I compare the specification of these devices, there's often very little apparent difference, with most of the same features against all the routers.

The independent tests seem to fall well short. For example, some of them don't even seem to check if a mesh system will reliably move your device onto the strongest signal as you move around. I HAVE seen a test of a Chinese brand that was very poor at that.

As for comparison of real power consumption, that also is difficult to find.

With any such purchase, I normally like to understand it, then decide what I'm buying.
My tentative budget is up to £200, for router and satellite. However, I would increase that if there are tangible benefits from a more expensive system.

Is there nowhere that does a proper comparison of router technologies, backed up by decent tests on the routers ?

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”