Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0, for Donating to support the site

Anti-Virus

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Novoiceleft
2 Lemon pips

Anti-Virus

Postby Novoiceleft » May 3rd, 2024, 12:36 pm

I just Uninstalled my all my AVG programs - all the pop-ups were driving me nuts.

I cant remember how AVG was originally on my machine, but I guess I've been suckered over the years by AVG into subscribing to one module after another.

I dont use my PC for anything special other than a typical home user - and now I'm protected by Windows Defender, which I am trusting will be sufficient.

Any views on this ?

NoVoice

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Anti-Virus

Postby Infrasonic » May 3rd, 2024, 12:48 pm

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » May 3rd, 2024, 12:48 pm

Hi, I'm no expert but understand Defender only offers basic protection, so I am prepared to pay for an additional product (my case Norton) which covers 3 family PCs running on windows. Be interested to a response from someone in IT.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » May 3rd, 2024, 1:15 pm

Novoiceleft wrote:I just Uninstalled my all my AVG programs - all the pop-ups were driving me nuts.

I cant remember how AVG was originally on my machine, but I guess I've been suckered over the years by AVG into subscribing to one module after another.

I dont use my PC for anything special other than a typical home user - and now I'm protected by Windows Defender, which I am trusting will be sufficient.

Any views on this ?

NoVoice

Many years ago, I used Panda A/V. Over the years it took up so much CPU power that I had to get rid of it. Then I discovered that it was part of the Scientology network.

On my old Windows 7 desktop, I use AV A/V that seems to work well.

On Windows 10 etc, I just use the Defender.

Just remember to encrypt anything important.

Steve

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » May 3rd, 2024, 1:41 pm

Anyone I know who knows about these things says with Win 8/10/11 just stick to Defender and don't click on owt daft.

I get a dozen emails a week urging me to update my AVG. Had I actually had it I might have been tempted to click on one :)

Paul

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » May 3rd, 2024, 2:10 pm

With Defender just make sure you have all the options turned on like folder protection to prevent malicious writes to files. There's plenty of tutorials online.

On encryption - it won't stop ransomware per se as it will be double encrypted - meaning you can't read it until you get the decryption key for the secondary encryption, which is where the ransomware bit comes in... :D

The solution is to make snapshots / file versions 'read only' (immutable) which is where cloud syncs provide an easy off site versioning (read only) solution.

If you are anti cloud then you need to implement local file backup/sync systems that duplicate that functionality - e.g a local NAS like a Synology with read only versioning / WORM capability etc.

You don't generally get that functionality with the cheaper end of NAS', it's a mid range and up capability, in Synology's case the + models aimed at SOHO/SME use.

Windows has it own 'File History' capability which you can use as a belt and braces secondary backup - but it's very basic I wouldn't rely on it at all as my sole backup.

Paid Macrium Reflect lets you do OS and folder/file backups as separate scheduled events, which means taking regular snapshots just for files is much quicker. Macrium also has anti ransomware (writes) capabilities built in.

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Postby jaizan » May 3rd, 2024, 7:29 pm

The only time I ever had a problem with a virus was around about 2004. That was during the one year that I was actually paying for Norton anti virus.

Obviously I did not renew the Norton and have been using free anti-virus since.
I used AVG, then moved to Avira when I suspected something of slowing my PC down. Then onto Defender for quite a few years. I then moved back to Avira, again when suspecting something of slowing the PC down (probably unfailry blaming the anti-virus).

I need to move back to Defender, as the Avira pop ups are getting too annoying.

"Basic" protection has been enough for 20 years.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » May 4th, 2024, 8:13 am

if it was 'pop ups' that were bothering you
try ''Ublock origin''...its free

it works fro me
that aside i rely on Defender for virus protection

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”