Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Sky Hubs

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
eepee
Lemon Slice

Sky Hubs

Postby eepee » October 18th, 2018, 2:50 pm

Am switching ISP back to Sky after an absence of two years.

Our new Hub has arrived - Model ER115 - which does not really suit us because it only has two cable outputs.

Still have the old one - Model SR102. Can I use this one instead since it has four cable outputs?

Regards,
ep

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Re: Sky Hubs

Postby pochisoldi » October 18th, 2018, 8:14 pm

I would suggest doing a google for "Using my own router with Sky".

The worst case scenario is "won't work", but the next worst case is that you have to copy over configuration information from one router to another.
I would suggest you use two computers, one connected to each router. Leave the new router connected to the phone line (so you can google for help!).
Then you'll probably need the "superuser" username and password for each of the routers (Google is your friend for the username, and be prepared to look at the label on the bottom of the router for the serial number!).

There is an outside chance that a straight swap would work (on the basis that a wired phoneline connection doesn't need authentication), but I doubt it.

PochiSoldi

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » October 18th, 2018, 9:52 pm

eepee wrote:Am switching ISP back to Sky after an absence of two years.
Our new Hub has arrived - Model ER115 - which does not really suit us because it only has two cable outputs.
Still have the old one - Model SR102.
Can I use this one instead since it has four cable outputs?
Regards,ep

The new Q model is better suited to fibre (Capped at downstream 40 Mbps in my Sky package) and better Wi-Fi.

The easy way is a 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Desktop Switch, e.g. NETGEAR GS205

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » October 19th, 2018, 3:11 pm

The new(ish) ER115 (Sky Q router) delivers a better WiFi experience than the old model SR102, as it handles 802.11ac rather than just 802.11n.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » October 19th, 2018, 3:49 pm

supremetwo wrote:
eepee wrote:Am switching ISP back to Sky after an absence of two years.
Still have the old one - Model SR102.
Can I use this one instead since it has four cable outputs?
Regards,ep

The new Q model is better suited to fibre (Capped at downstream 40 Mbps in my Sky package) and better Wi-Fi.

The easy way is a 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Desktop Switch, e.g. NETGEAR GS205

Or log into the old router, disable the wifi, allocate a fixed IP address (write it on a label on the bottom), disable DHCP, connect the two routers with an ethernet cable (LAN port at both ends) and then treat the old sky router as a switch with a redundant, unused router feature.
That'll give you 1 port left on the new router and three ports available on the old one, 4 in total.

PochiSoldi

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”