Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

What does my TV need?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
shadowside

Re: What does my TV need?

Postby shadowside » September 4th, 2017, 7:25 am

If you want to continue with Freesat rather than Freeview installing a Satellite Dish is no big deal. I bought one for about £30 five years ago and has worked a treat. Fix to the wall, point in roughly the right direction and away you go.

I have two satellite feeds from mine into Humax box plus internet connection over power wires and that gives me everything I need. Always have more recorded than I can watch plus Catch up if I miss something. And no monthly charges.

I have a Now TV box which I use occasionally to watch rugby.... Britsh Lions etc. Just buy a months sports pass when I need it. Usually on a special offer.Watched the Lions series for £15 which was good value for money.

xeny
Lemon Slice

Postby xeny » September 4th, 2017, 6:19 pm

melonfool wrote:
I do have HDMI sockets.

I have an Amzon Firestick, is that the same thing? I've never used it, I plugged it in once and it just seemed to be trying to get me to connect to Amazon Prime (which I neither have nor want).

Mel

If you can fight your way past that (you will need to feed it your Amazon account details without prime) you can download iPlayer, ITV, Channel 4 and UKTV Play (Dave, Drama etc) catch up apps gratis.

fuiseog

Postby fuiseog » September 16th, 2017, 6:38 pm

I can second the Chromecast, and it's also useful for viewing phone photos on the TV. Our connection to the router is via homeplugs. Its worked fine without any issue for a few years.

fuiseog

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » September 16th, 2017, 9:41 pm

Thank you - for now, I have managed to get the Amazon Fire Stick sorted, re-registered it to my account (cheeky ex had registered it to his, even though he bought it for me for my birthday) and I can get iplayer and ITVhub through that.

So, the only thing I really need is recording now.

I seem to be bleeding money at the moment so I might wait until after the payday [or 2!].

Mel

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » September 16th, 2017, 11:55 pm

melonfool wrote:So, the only thing I really need is recording now.

Freeview/Freesat boxes with HDs and a planner are not that expensive. Alternatively depending on the smartness of your TV, it may accept a memory stick plugged into a USB socket and offer record facilities on the stick.

If you have something like a Firestick or Now TV box, you may not need a separate recording device as everything you may want to watch after it has been broadcast can be downloaded on these.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”