Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Edge Issues

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Edge Issues

Postby Infrasonic » September 5th, 2017, 3:17 pm

Have you tried clearing the cache?
Settings/Clear browsing data/[choose what to clear].

CCleaner could also be used, maybe have a look at the registry?

Or (purely speculative), try going into settings/advanced settings...scroll all the way to the bottom and turn off 'Help protect me from malicious sites with windows protector smartscreen'.

Then restart (not shutdown) and see if there are any changes.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » October 27th, 2019, 8:53 am

For those who are not aware, Microsoft is intending to move its Edge browser to Chromium (the same underlying basis as Chrome) at some point in the future.

They have had a beta version (which regularly updates itself in the background) available for some time - https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... ry-it-now/

I have been using it for the last few months (on a Windows 10 PC and laptop) and I must say I have been quite impressed with it, and it has taken over from Chrome as my default browser.

It has its own extension store where there is a range of the most popular extensions. You can add extensions from the Chrome store, and although most work, some still do not.

Obviously it prefers you use Bing rather than Google, but simple enough as with 'old' Edge to change to using Google as a search provider if you wish to.

Anyway, just mentioning.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » October 27th, 2019, 9:37 am

I thought this was a really good decision by Microsoft (if a little embarrassing to them on a short term basis).

I use some really advanced javascript functions and Edge almost invariably failed to cope to the extent that I have now changed some of the pages on my server to basically refuse to function with Edge.

It will be nice to have a fourth OEM browser as well as Chromium that can be used with the more advanced features of javascript. I will try this out at some stage.

I count Chrome, Firefox and Safari as being usable although Safari still cannot handle the clipboard API as far as I can tell.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 27th, 2019, 1:01 pm

AF62 wrote:They have had a beta version (which regularly updates itself in the background) available for some time....

Beta is the most stable build and the slowest to be updated, once every 6 weeks. Under 'More platforms and channels' there are Dev and Canary channels too. Dev is the more stable one with weekly updates, while Canary is 'bleeding edge' and daily updates (with the consequent risk of new bugs). I've been using Dev for some time now and find it to be quite stable and a big improvement over the old Edge.

These preview channels can be installed alongside 'old Edge', but if/when it is released it will replace 'old Edge' completely. At present, it looks unlikely to be ready in time for the immanent release of the 'November Update to Windows 10, version 1909', but looks very likely to be in the next version due out in spring 2020.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 27th, 2019, 9:53 pm

I've been using the Edge beta on Android since it came out, decent browser, good user settings options.
I'm still running the original Edge (non Chromium) on W10 desktop, if you get the right extensions installed it isn't too bad, but nowhere near the granularity of Chrome/FF.

Vivaldi (ex Opera bods) is worth looking at if you want a 'power user' desktop browser with lots of tweakability.
There's an Android beta floating about as well, although that is very basic currently, not much different to vanilla Android
Chromium.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”