Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Can't find sent email

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Can't find sent email

Postby Clitheroekid » September 13th, 2017, 3:45 pm

I'm using W7 and Outlook 2007. I'm sending an email and I want to attach a copy of an earlier email. So I click `Attach Item' and it opens the window entitled `Insert Item'. But when I go to `Sent Items' there are just a random selection of sent emails and most of them are missing.

The relevant email is still stored, as I can easily retrieve it from Sent Items when I'm in the main program, but how can I retrieve it so as to attach it to my email?

montehampster

Re: Can't find sent email

Postby montehampster » September 13th, 2017, 4:20 pm

You could try printing and saving the email you wish to attach as a pdf (print to file) or take a screen print of it into Word/Notepad etc, save and then attach?

AllYourBase

Postby AllYourBase » September 13th, 2017, 4:35 pm

You should be able to drag and drop the email from Outlook Sent Items into the email you're composing. In practical terms, I do this by dragging the Sent Email message down to the task bar, hover over the email you're composing to bring it up on screen, and then drop the email into your compose window (holding down the left button while doing all of this). That should add it as an attachment.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » September 13th, 2017, 4:42 pm

I can't immediately help with why some emails aren't visible - is there some common attribute of the ones you can see? Are the ones you can see when you try Insert Item also visible when you view the folder? If not, that suggests the two methods are looking at different folders. Do you have more than one email address?

To solve the immediate issue, I would copy the text of the email you've drafted, go to Sent Items, open the email you want to attach, do Forward, edit the Fw: out of the subject and paste the text above the forwarded text. Or save the email as a .Msg file and then insert it.

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » September 13th, 2017, 5:28 pm

I hope I've understood your requirement correctly however I use Thunderbird as a mail client with W10.

To attach an e-mail all I do is find the e-mail to attach. Right click and use "Save As" and save to my desktop. On the new e-mail I click the "attach" button and pick up the e-mail from the desktop.

Job done.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » September 16th, 2017, 5:13 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:I'm using W7 and Outlook 2007. I'm sending an email and I want to attach a copy of an earlier email. So I click `Attach Item' and it opens the window entitled `Insert Item'. But when I go to `Sent Items' there are just a random selection of sent emails and most of them are missing.

The relevant email is still stored, as I can easily retrieve it from Sent Items when I'm in the main program, but how can I retrieve it so as to attach it to my email?

A bit late here, but ISTR that with Outlook if you select the email you want to attach and then on the Message menu select Forward As, it creates a new empty email with the old one attached. If you've already created a message you'd have to copy it into that.

Slarti

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » September 16th, 2017, 8:49 pm

Many thanks for all the suggestions. In the end Slarti's was the nearest to providing a solution. I ended up going to the `Sent Items', selecting the email, then clicking on `Actions' and then `Forward as attachment'. I then just pasted the message into that new email.

Although this solved the problem it's still a mystery as to why when I click on `Attach Item' only a very small proportion of those in the `Sent Items' appear in the list.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”