Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

linux ubuntu to replace XP

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: linux ubuntu to replace XP

Postby kiloran » November 2nd, 2017, 11:56 am

jackdaww wrote:many thanks again for all responses.

have looked at the spec on the laptop -- its

dell vostro 1700

xp pro vers2002 sp3

intel(r) core (tm) 2 duo cpu t8100 2.1ghz 795 mhz 2gb ram .

my wife wants to carry on using it for web browsing only , without the security worries of XP.

it runs XP ok , so i had assumed it would run linux quite comfortably .

I have an old Dell laptop with core 2 duo and it has used Ubuntu in the past and currently mint (16?) without problems

--kiloran

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 2nd, 2017, 12:32 pm

dell vostro 1700

xp pro vers2002 sp3

my wife wants to carry on using it for web browsing only , without the security worries of XP.

OK, that CPU is far more recent than a Pentium 111 as previously reported, so ignore the warnings I gave earlier.
This does highlight why giving accurate hardware specs at the start of a query can help the helpers give you accurate information...

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » November 2nd, 2017, 1:03 pm

Infrasonic wrote:

dell vostro 1700

xp pro vers2002 sp3

OK, that CPU is far more recent than a Pentium 111 as previously reported, so ignore the warnings I gave earlier.
This does highlight why giving accurate hardware specs at the start of a query can help the helpers give you accurate information...

==============================

you are absolutely right! - i will take that on board.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » November 2nd, 2017, 8:35 pm

Here are the Passmark scores for my processor, the OP's and a typical Chromeboook processor:

Pentium E2140 871
Intel Core2 Duo T8100 1291
Celeron N3160 1699

The OP's processor is about 50% faster than mine, and he has twice as much RAM. He should be able to run most Linux distributions.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

old windows xp laptop - help wanted please

Postby jackdaww » August 13th, 2018, 4:33 pm

we have a very nice dell vostro laptop, with good screen and keyboard.

only used for internet .

running XP is becoming a hassle , so i may go linux .

but just had the idea of sort of plugging in a spare windows 10 laptop , to do the work , and still use the vostro screen and keyboard .

DAK if that could work please.

thanks

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: old windows xp laptop - help wanted please

Postby ReformedCharacter » August 13th, 2018, 5:28 pm

jackdaww wrote:we have a very nice dell vostro laptop, with good screen and keyboard.

only used for internet .

but just had the idea of sort of plugging in a spare windows 10 laptop , to do the work , and still use the vostro screen and keyboard .

thanks

Remote Desktop (Windows) or one of the varieties of VNC might do the trick for you.

TightVNC:
https://www.tightvnc.com/

HTH

RC

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » August 13th, 2018, 5:51 pm

jackdaww wrote:we have a very nice dell vostro laptop, with good screen and keyboard.

only used for internet .

thanks

TeamViewer works pretty well too and might be less hassle than some other options, you should be able to get versions for both XP and Win10:

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Kno ... ta-p/24141

Sometimes it can be difficult getting the correct screen resolution between the machines (whatever you do). You can do Linux > PC too if you want to ditch XP on your Dell.

I don't think there would be any 'direct cable' options to do what you want - someone else might know otherwise - so AFAIK you are going to need to have both machines connected to the same network and in the case of TV both with Internet access.

RC

schober
Lemon Pip

Postby schober » August 13th, 2018, 6:06 pm

Might be simpler to go to Puppy Linux
http://puppylinux.com/
Nothing to install; the OS lives on the cd or usb stick
It can read your saved files on the hd
I've been using it for several years

If you're feeling adventurous you might try Tiny Core Linux
http://tinycorelinux.net/intro.html
In some ways similar to Puppy
I've used this OS to retrieve files from a 20y old 166mhz pentium1 with 64mb of ram!

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » August 14th, 2018, 3:37 pm

Is this the same Dell you asked about in August 2017 and then again in November 2017?
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=6998&p=75946&hilit=dell#p75946
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=8166&hilit=dell

Rather than starting fresh threads each time it might make more sense to stick to an update on one of the previous ones, to stop a load of duplication of advice which won't have changed dramatically in the space of a year. Especially as the November one has all the specs in it, even if they were the wrong specs to start with... ;)

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » August 14th, 2018, 4:26 pm

Infrasonic wrote:Is this the same Dell you asked about in August 2017 and then again in November 2017?
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=6998&p=75946&hilit=dell#p75946
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=8166&hilit=dell

Rather than starting fresh threads each time it might make more sense to stick to an update on one of the previous ones, to stop a load of duplication of advice which won't have changed dramatically in the space of a year. Especially as the November one has all the specs in it, even if they were the wrong specs to start with... ;)

====
yes it is and i agree .

but if there is a next time , i probably wont remember this.

it looks like one of the linux options.

superFoolish
Lemon Slice

Postby superFoolish » August 15th, 2018, 3:36 am

ReformedCharacter wrote:TeamViewer works pretty well too and might be less hassle than some other options, you should be able to get versions for both XP and Win10:
RC

TeamViewer blocked my account for suspected commercial use and never responded to my attempts to contact them (despite them inviting me to do so). They might say 'no loss' to them, but I'm in the IT biz (specifically remote training and support)

Since then, I have started using AnyDesk for unattended remote control (for accessing my own PCs and assisting family); it's free for private use, and runs on all the popular OS's including Android and iOS (and Raspberry Pi). Totally free for private use. I understand that it is still compatible with Windows XP.

Whilst I'm recommending software / services... I recommend Zoom meetings for remote presentations and meetings, or for remote control where someone is present at the remote device. There is a completely free version which allows sessions of unlimited duration for 2 participants, or limited to 40 minute sessions with more than two participants. It's rock-solid for audio, video and remote viewing / control; I've been using it for over three years, and the only time I have experienced a less-than-perfect connection, is when I used to have a faulty Internet connection at home (even then, Zoom is very good at holding the connection at a lower quality, and rejoining the session if the connection drops completely). I use it most days, presenting to up to 50 different participants in remote locations (I have a paid plan). https://zoom.us

superFoolish
Lemon Slice

Postby superFoolish » August 15th, 2018, 3:39 am

superFoolish wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote:TeamViewer works pretty well too and might be less hassle than some other options, you should be able to get versions for both XP and Win10:
RC

TeamViewer blocked my account for suspected commercial use and never responded to my attempts to contact them (despite them inviting me to do so). They might say 'no loss' to them, but I'm in the IT biz (specifically remote training and support)

Since then, I have started using AnyDesk for unattended remote control (for accessing my own PCs and assisting family); it's free for private use, and runs on all the popular OS's including Android and iOS (and Raspberry Pi). Totally free for private use. I understand that it is still compatible with Windows XP.

Whilst I'm recommending software / services... I recommend Zoom meetings for remote presentations and meetings, or for remote control where someone is present at the remote device. There is a completely free version which allows sessions of unlimited duration for 2 participants, or limited to 40 minute sessions with more than two participants. It's rock-solid for audio, video and remote viewing / control; I've been using it for over three years, and the only time I have experienced a less-than-perfect connection, is when I used to have a faulty Internet connection at home (even then, Zoom is very good at holding the connection at a lower quality, and rejoining the session if the connection drops completely). I use it most days, presenting to up to 50 different participants in remote locations (I have a paid plan). Guests can join with browser-only, if they cannot install the client software, but the client is recommended. https://zoom.us

JonE
Lemon Slice

Postby JonE » August 15th, 2018, 11:00 am

ReformedCharacter wrote:TeamViewer works pretty well too and might be less hassle than some other options

Isn't there a case for using VNC within one's LAN and only going to TV or the like if one actually needs to connect across the internet?

Even disregarding the fact that higher-speed internet isn't available to all and the 'asymmetric' aspect of ADSL, why introduce an unnecessary dependency on internet connectivity?

Cheers!

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » August 15th, 2018, 11:16 am

JonE wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote:TeamViewer works pretty well too and might be less hassle than some other options

Isn't there a case for using VNC within one's LAN and only going to TV or the like if one actually needs to connect across the internet?

Even disregarding the fact that higher-speed internet isn't available to all and the 'asymmetric' aspect of ADSL, why introduce an unnecessary dependency on internet connectivity?

Cheers!

I agree but it depends a bit on how it will be used and how much tinkering the user wants to do. I've been impressed how well TeamViewer works and it is very easy to set up.

RC

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 15th, 2018, 2:00 pm

Moderator Message:
I have merged all three topics by the same poster, about the same laptop, as confirmed by him in the third thread. Please no-one ever ask me to do that again - it's nigh on impossible to find old threads to merge with when they are more than a few months old. Luckily I am bored today.... Please drop me a PM if you want me to change the title though. Mel

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » August 15th, 2018, 6:08 pm

melonfool wrote:
Moderator Message:
I have merged all three topics by the same poster, about the same laptop, as confirmed by him in the third thread. Please no-one ever ask me to do that again - it's nigh on impossible to find old threads to merge with when they are more than a few months old. Luckily I am bored today.... Please drop me a PM if you want me to change the title though. Mel

======

thanks, thats helpful.

i'll try to remember not to start another thread !

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » August 16th, 2018, 8:15 am

Just in case you try Linux Mint.
I am a long term Linux Mint user (dual booted with Win 10) on a somewhat older machine laptop. Runs fine with it's SSD, however the latest Mint 19 takes ages to load (8 minutes), something to do with the kernel and drivers. Went back to Mint 18.3 and it's up and running in well under a minute.
Nothing wrong with Mint 18.3 Mate.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » August 16th, 2018, 10:30 am

GeoffF100 wrote:If the OP just wants to browse the web on a laptop, he could do worse than to get a Chromebook. It is even possible to install Ubuntu on a Chromebook:

https://www.lifewire.com/install-linux- ... ok-4125253

However, if he just wants to browse the web, it is not clear why he would want to do so.

================

thanks .

we particularly want to keep using this dell vostro laptop which has a great screen and keyboard.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » August 16th, 2018, 1:04 pm

I'm using Linux Mint 18.2 JD and am very happy with it, but I am tempted to try out a Linux distribution called Zorin, which is supposed to be the most 'windows like' Linux distro and comes with Wine already loaded (which allows you to run many windows apps on Linux, [with caveats...])
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software)

Zorin OS comes in a paid for 'ultimate' version for $19, and free full fat and light versions.

Reviews here...https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1 ... Vfi9MQlclg

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » August 17th, 2018, 9:31 am

Debian with XFCE4 desktop nice and lightweight, you could try Raspian, from the Raspberry Pi org, they have a live version that can be installed as desktop.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”