Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Email server and mulitple identities

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Sussexlad
Lemon Slice

Email server and mulitple identities

Postby Sussexlad » November 21st, 2017, 1:30 pm

I was thinking of changing my email provider to mail.uk but it appears that their server doesn't accept multiple identities.
If the Identity is different to the Server settings, their mail server responds with.... "An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.7.1 <Identity's email address not owned by user.....>
With Thunderbird supporting multiple identities, i don't understand how this is meant to work but that's not unusual ! Their support, support@mail.de, responded with a brief... " the JPG files could not be opened. Check the file attachment ".
I haven't a clue what this means or whether it's relevant. Is there any chance of getting this working like my current Plusnet email works?
Thanks

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Email server and mulitple identities

Postby Infrasonic » November 21st, 2017, 2:36 pm

https://mail.co.uk/en/functions/

Additional email features

Email backup service
Creation of alias addresses
Use of out-of-office notifications
Configuration of POP3 retrieval services
Use of email signatures with images / logos
Freely definable reset time for email folders
Definition of server rules for incoming emails

According to that you can do 'aliases', but I didn't look to see if by 'additional' they mean paid for...

I'm guessing you'd have to create the 'alias' addresses online within their webmail infrastructure.

If you want to use their SMTP server for sending from existing addresses other than mail.co.uk ones you may well be out of luck, as to cut down on spam, spoofing, malware etc., many free webmail services have restricted what can be sent.

The other issue was people registering very cheap email inbox or forwarding only domains, and then using free webmail SMTP for sending their domain mail, effectively abusing the free web services infrastructure with third party domain mail.

I'm a bit hazy as it's years since I set it all up but I think you can still use Outlook.com (Hotmail as was) SMTP for third party 'aliases' (I can send my co.uk domain mail via their SMTP server still).
I still have that facility with free Gmail also, but I'm pretty certain they stopped it on new free accounts quite a while back, and made it a paid for option only with their 'G-Suite' offering.

There may be other free webmail services that still do it.

Sussexlad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sussexlad » November 21st, 2017, 3:23 pm

Thank you for that information. I've looked at the alias addresses and they are connected to a very limited number of provided domain names, not a free selection. Looks like I'm going to have to claim my two £12s back £1/month, and look elsewhere. I don't mind paying a modest charge but currently have 16 domain addresses I find convenient.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 21st, 2017, 3:46 pm

16 domains might be pushing it a bit for the free accounts that still do third party SMTP, probably have to be paid for.

Sussexlad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sussexlad » November 21st, 2017, 4:12 pm

Infrasonic wrote:16 domains might be pushing it a bit for the free accounts that still do third party SMTP, probably have to be paid for.

Not domains but addresses on my single domain. I've now cancelled the two accounts I'd registered with mail.co.uk.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 21st, 2017, 4:28 pm

Sussexlad wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:16 domains might be pushing it a bit for the free accounts that still do third party SMTP, probably have to be paid for.

Not domains but addresses on my single domain. I've now cancelled the two accounts I'd registered with mail.co.uk.

Aah, OK. That makes it easier then...https://www.lifewire.com/create-alias-e ... ok-1170647
Allows 10 aliases per account, so two accounts would cover the 16 addresses you need.

The only giveaway on all these 'aliasing' solutions is if somebody looks at the message routing they'll see all the server names, even though the 'from' address is effectively spoofed as your domain choice. Probably not an issue for most people.

Sussexlad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sussexlad » November 23rd, 2017, 9:40 am

Well I've settled on the Fastmail basic service at $30/year. A device has it's own password so they allow as many identities as you want I think. So far so good.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 24th, 2017, 2:06 pm

Sussexlad wrote:Not domains but addresses on my single domain. I've now cancelled the two accounts I'd registered with mail.co.uk.

That's easy if it's your own domain. I have a lot more than your 16 addresses at [my-domain].[isp].co.uk, where [isp] is an alias for plusnet (who were my ISP until I moved somewhere with very poor ADSL but with virgin).

Cost (from memory) £1.06 per month.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”