Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Test your scam awareness

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
cinelli
Lemon Slice

Test your scam awareness

Postby cinelli » January 22nd, 2018, 12:51 pm

This BBC 5 Live online test may be of interest. I got 7 out of 8 :(

https://takefive-stopfraud.org.uk/takethetest/

Cinelli

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Test your scam awareness

Postby XFool » January 22nd, 2018, 1:56 pm

cinelli wrote:This BBC 5 Live online test may be of interest. I got 7 out of 8 :(

I also got 7 out of 8. I assume we both 'failed' on question 6 - Text from bank re validating card transactions

I thought this might be genuine and couldn't be sure, if it wasn't, how it would work. So, on the precautionary principal, I flagged it as suspicious. I don't have such an arrangement myself, but if I did I would know about it and so have more confidence in the message.

So, failing on this one counts as 9 out of 8 AFAIAC! ;)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 22nd, 2018, 2:30 pm

All eight correct. But I had to think quite hard about number 7.

BJ

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » January 22nd, 2018, 2:37 pm

My credit card provider has never sent me a text message asking me to confirm credit card transactions, and I have not given them my mobile number, so I "failed" that test.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » January 22nd, 2018, 2:47 pm

cinelli wrote:This BBC 5 Live online test may be of interest. I got 7 out of 8 :(

Good test - unlike some I've seen in the past this one makes you think hard about the answers.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » January 22nd, 2018, 3:03 pm

7 / 8, but failed for being too cautious (Q6) which I can live with ;)

I don't tend to worry about being scammed, as in, I use 2 factor authentication, use https, individual ID/passwords for each account, encrypt backups, don't believe any of my financial institutions will contact me and therefore always get back to them via my own link / different phone, use AV, check for malware regularly etc. (so actually, pretty bothered about it, but try to minimise the chances!)

What does worry me is that at some point the technology of scamming will move beyond me, at which point I WILL become vulnerable. I haven't figured out what to do at that stage, as I suspect it will be quite a few years between becoming an easy scam victim and going completely gaga...

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 22nd, 2018, 4:09 pm

XFool wrote:

I also got 7 out of 8. I assume we both 'failed' on question 6 - Text from bank re validating card transactions

I thought this might be genuine and couldn't be sure, if it wasn't, how it would work. So, on the precautionary principal, I flagged it as suspicious. I don't have such an arrangement myself, but if I did I would know about it and so have more confidence in the message.

So, failing on this one counts as 9 out of 8 AFAIAC! ;)

Same here and I had to go back and do it again to see why 6 was wrong.

My credit cards have no authority to text me about anything as I opted out of such a thing, so to me it had to be a scam, but one somehow attacking my phone.
Or perhaps setting up for something more sophisticated.

Slarti

Edit: PS, I would have phoned my card provider on the normal security number if I got such a text.

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » January 22nd, 2018, 5:55 pm

Slarti wrote:Or perhaps setting up for something more sophisticated.

When setting up a new payment I usually try it out by first sending £1 and asking the recipient to confirm all is good (as many people do).

The last time I did this, after confirmation from the recipient I tried to transfer the balance but my account was blocked by the bank. I had to go through to the security department and explain who the recipient was, what the payment was for and why I had sent the £1 followed by a larger amount.

They then explained that typically scammers will try a small amount before hitting an account big-time, hence the block on the account.

I must admit I was pleased to know that Lloyds were pro-actively looking for fraudulent activity on my account.

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » January 22nd, 2018, 8:39 pm

Well, well, well!

I too failed on Q.6. But I have to say that as far as I am concerned ANY message which includes a 'phone no. is automatically suspect. A request to ring the bank, with NO number, ie find it yourself, is to my mind much more safe.

ten0rman

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 23rd, 2018, 10:02 am

Just had a phone call from: "The technical department of BT Openreach".

Unfortunately I found myself at the same time to be unaccountably busy. As I usually do at these times...

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » January 23rd, 2018, 10:55 am

I too got 7/8 having "failed" on 6

Like everyone else I would not have responded to the text but phoned on a "known" number - seems like we're all ultra cautious.

Rob

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » January 23rd, 2018, 11:00 am

ten0rman wrote:Well, well, well!

I too failed on Q.6. But I have to say that as far as I am concerned ANY message which includes a 'phone no. is automatically suspect. A request to ring the bank, with NO number, ie find it yourself, is to my mind much more safe.

ten0rman

Me too. I got 7 out of 8 with my "mistake" being to call 6 a scam when the quiz says no. I suppose it's because I personally have never been sent such a list of transactions to view.

If I was getting accurately targeted scams every day, or even every couple of weeks, my simple rules for handling them might take up too much time but I probably only get 1 or 2 a year so my set of simple rules is as follows...

1 - Is the message claiming to be from an organisation that I have a relationship with?
NO - It's an obvious scam. Ignore it.
YES - My account might be compromised so assume it is a genuine issue. Go to step 2.

2 - Do not reply to the original communication or use any links or phone numbers that might be in the original message. Instead look up (via Google or from previous written correspondence) the appropriate customer service number and call the organisation in question to see if the alert was genuine.

Having been a victim of identity fraud in the past (from external attacks from third parties not because I fell for a scam) I do think it is important to not automatically assume all "you have suspicious activity" alerts are scams and step 2 makes sure any concerns are followed up safely.

- Julian

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 23rd, 2018, 12:02 pm

1nv35t wrote:If you enabled javascript to do the test ... potential scam awareness failure :)

It doesn't need javascript as I have scrubbed it off my machine and it worked.

Slarti

Biggles
2 Lemon pips

Postby Biggles » January 23rd, 2018, 12:55 pm

Yeah, I failed on 6 as I read it too quickly and assumed it was asking me to ring the phone number. When I read it properly, I saw it actually said they would message me from that number.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 23rd, 2018, 1:20 pm

6 sounds like a failure on the part of the sender and the quiz. If it's that hard to figure out, then always treat it as suspect.

Being able to tell a scam from a real message is a very poor substitute for defence in depth. We've had a secure solution to verifying a sender (PGP) for more than a quarter of a century. And important communication shouldn't share a band with anything that could be suspect: hence anyone who treats all communications to your public email address as suspect are not wrong.

malakoffee
Lemon Pip

Postby malakoffee » January 23rd, 2018, 2:11 pm

8 out of 8. What a smartypants !

It still intrigues me why people get tricked into the old " . . . . transfer into a safe account" scam.

Surely we all respond ( to the bank ) :-
Well, it looks like YOU have a problem.
You must LOCK the account and sort it out.
When I have confirmed that you have locked the account, I will phone in on the well-known number to discuss the matter.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 26th, 2018, 5:44 pm

This one is clearly making the rounds again:

https://conversation.which.co.uk/techno ... -pc-scams/

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » January 27th, 2018, 12:28 am

Question 6 asks, "Do you trust them?", not "Do you think that the message is genuine?" To trust the sender of such a message, I would want to have a high level of certainty that it was genuine. Merely thinking that it wasprobably genuine would not suffice.

Julian F. G. W.

tsr2
2 Lemon pips

Another 7/8

Postby tsr2 » February 1st, 2018, 8:42 pm

I was also suspicious of question 6.

I have in the past received such texts, but not in that format. Post Office Mastercard uses a similar concept where you simply reply with something like either "mine" or "fake". I don't recall them putting a number to ring.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » February 1st, 2018, 11:14 pm

XFool wrote:This one is clearly making the rounds again:

To monitor your computer, they would need the current IP address. How does this tell them the phone number?

I suspect there's a possible defensive hack that you should periodically reboot your modem to get a different IP address. With the number of gadgets that use a wi-fi, the modem is always busy, so it's not as if you get a new IP every time you use the Internet.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”