Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Now TV review, pluses and minuses

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Now TV review, pluses and minuses

Postby Satsuma » January 31st, 2018, 11:19 am

We’ve had it a month or two now and thought this might be useful to other contemplating Now Tv.
We took out a deal with broadband, TV (+ smart box, not the standard one) and PAYG phone line.

Pros
- The biggest one: cost. We are saving a third on our previous sky bill (£30 vs £45/month). We audited what we watch before committing and have not found any programmes or channels we’re missing now. That said, we have just found out we are tied into paying full price for the entertainment pass. You can buy these discounted online, but at £7.99/month, it’s not the end of the world. We may be able to apply discounted cinema/sport passes though (as that is not part of our package) – yet to confirm that.
- The other biggest one: internet. We went from terrible, intermittent <2mb Sky broadband to 30+mb FTTC speeds (as per explanatory link here viewtopic.php?f=39&t=8445#p96518). Sky refused to accept there were any issues and blamed us for any problems, so we were quite pleased to call them and tell them we were leaving.
- It was all easy to set up, simple remote and (once you get the hang of it) easy to navigate. Watching box sets or series is very easy. Live TV is also fine, issues with the schedule (below) notwithstanding. OH is enjoying all the HD channels.

Cons
- Lack of future TV guide. There is “now and next” and that’s it. No 7 day planner. You can use an online guide (or paper magazine) of course, but it’s a minor faff. This means I barely watch any live TV now at all as I never know what’s on when.
- I miss not being able to record things, but I am slowly getting used to the concept of watch later, with the limitations below as a caveat.
- The disparate nature of watching what you want- this is my main bugbear. Sure it’s all there, after a fashion, but instead of going to one Sky+ recordings page, we now have to remember what programmes are on what catch up service and pick from any one of:
o BBC iPlayer (by far the best catch up service - very good, nice layout, easy to use)
o ITV Player (only shows limited selection of programmes, and from memory don’t think you can save stuff so you have to make a note. Also rubbish search)
o C4 On Demand (Not bad, but a bit clunky. You can save stuff though)
o C5 on demand (very similar to ITV)
o (All the above commercial channels may or may not have adverts or trailers on any given show. You can’t FF these)
o The Now TV section itself, which I’ll cover separately below
o (+ Netflix, but that was always separate to Sky anyway)

Now TV
This is a section in its own right. You press a special Now TV button on the remote and that gets you access to the part where you can watch live tv according to what passes you have (we only have entertainment). Within that there’s a section called My TV which is split into Watching and Watchlist.
- Watching is a page of programmes or series you are in the middle of. But even if you start watching something and decide it’s rubbish, it stays on this page (presumably till its full/some defined time has passed with no viewing and then gets dropped off?). You can’t manually delete stuff off here.
- Watchlist is a page of programmes you have added. In theory it’s good, but in practice it’s a PITA. Firstly because each programme has its own big picture thumbnail, sorted alphabetically (no option to change). You can’t show as a list so you have to scroll a lot to see everything, and any “go back” action puts you back at the top of the page again. I think I recall reading somewhere the list runs to 200 items before you start losing stuff? We are at about 30 shows and it’s already annoying. Second, each programme often comes with multiple thumbnails. E.g. both The Walking Dead and Scandal have 3 images each – I think for when they are shown on different channels or special episodes etc. Whatever, it’s not editable and very annoying. If you delete the “special episode”, for example, it deletes all the others too.
- There is no proactive alert to say when any programmes will be removed. Sometimes you go in and they are just greyed out and tough luck. There may be a “last chance” icon but I have yet to spot one in action!

Conclusion
Overall, it is OK. If you’re used to Sky or Virgin all-in-one interfaces, it’s a bit clunky and tedious in places, but the £ savings and internet improvement make it worthwhile for now. I don’t know what amazing TV I may be missing because I don’t get to see any trailers any more, but social media, TV reviews and friends and family will invariably mention anything especially good. If Sky come up with a good enough offer later in the year we might go back (if the internet is acceptable). We signed up for a no contract deal so can leave any time (you can sign up for a year to get cheaper prices if you want)

HTH
Sats

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: Now TV review, pluses and minuses

Postby Alaric » January 31st, 2018, 11:49 am

FredBloggs wrote:But Now TV = Sky, does it not.

It's a subset of Sky at a cheaper price.

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » January 31st, 2018, 11:57 am

Alaric wrote:
FredBloggs wrote:But Now TV = Sky, does it not.

It's a subset of Sky at a cheaper price.

Yes, more or less. There are channels missing - some of the crappy ones for when you need really mindless TV, plus all the +1 services. But they are kind of wrapped up in the catch up delivery I guess. And you can modularise what you want more- you can chop and change the passes for one, 2 or 12 months as you wish, no tie-in for 12 or 18 months.

But the hubs are the same box, and the interstitial log in page is the same as Sky (both just with Now Tv on them). The Now Tv website is a primary coloured place of fun, whereas Sky is all a bit up itself. It's more cheap and cheerful - they try and send you online/to customer forums for everything rather than talk to you.

It seems to be Sky partly/voluntarily cannibalising its own lower-value customer base (like us) in order to also get those people who would not be Sky/Virgin customers with a less contractual offering. If you are a high value Sky Q/multiroom/whatever bells and whistles, then I doubt you'd be interested in Now TV anyway.

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » January 31st, 2018, 2:38 pm

I have Freeview and Freesat, the catch up things on my Smart TV, and all the +1s. I would be interested to know what extra worthwhile channels you would get with Now TV or even Sky?
I have no interest in Sport...

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » January 31st, 2018, 2:40 pm

tea42 wrote: I would be interested to know what extra worthwhile channels you would get with Now TV or even Sky?

Sky 1 and Sky Atlantic. There's a popular series called Game of Thrones that's shown on Atlantic.

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » January 31st, 2018, 5:04 pm

tea42 wrote:I have Freeview and Freesat, the catch up things on my Smart TV, and all the +1s. I would be interested to know what extra worthwhile channels you would get with Now TV or even Sky?

With the Entertainment Pass (what I have) you get:

Sky Atlantic
Sky 1
Sky Living
Sky Arts
FOX
Gold
ITV Encore
Comedy Central
MTV
Discovery Channel
Nat Geo Wild
abc studios

With the Cinema pass, you get:
(£9.99/month, but discounted passes easily available online. I think this is pretty good value tbh, if you watch a lot of films, bearing in mind how much the cinema costs per person)

Sky Cinema Premiere
Sky Cinema Disney
Sky Cinema Hits
Sky Cinema Family
Sky Cinema Action & Adventure
Sky Cinema Comedy
Sky Cinema Crime & Thriller
Sky Cinema Drama & Romance
Sky Cinema Sci-Fi & Horror
Sky Cinema Select
Sky Cinema’s themed channel, which changes regularly

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » February 1st, 2018, 2:59 pm

tea42 wrote:I have Freeview and Freesat, the catch up things on my Smart TV, and all the +1s. I would be interested to know what extra worthwhile channels you would get with Now TV or even Sky?

Sky Atlantic, it's the only sky channel I ever watch.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » February 1st, 2018, 4:31 pm

When the 3rd season of Trip was shown on Sky Atlantic I had the free trial, watched the series online (Virgin 50 mega connection) on my laptop and the experience was horrible, laggy, slow, complicated and clearly then not the finished product. My TV seems to have this app so perhaps it would work better there.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » February 1st, 2018, 5:05 pm

JMN2 wrote:When the 3rd season of Trip was shown on Sky Atlantic I had the free trial, watched the series online (Virgin 50 mega connection) on my laptop and the experience was horrible, laggy, slow, complicated and clearly then not the finished product. My TV seems to have this app so perhaps it would work better there.

Works fine on PC, Now box and smart TV for me.

Cookie
2 Lemon pips

Postby Cookie » February 3rd, 2018, 12:56 am

Satsuma wrote:

Sky Atlantic
Sky 1
Sky Living
Sky Arts
FOX
Gold
ITV Encore
Comedy Central
MTV
Discovery Channel
Nat Geo Wild
abc studios

(£9.99/month, but discounted passes easily available online. I think this is pretty good value tbh, if you watch a lot of films, bearing in mind how much the cinema costs per person)

Sky Cinema Premiere
Sky Cinema Disney
Sky Cinema Hits
Sky Cinema Family
Sky Cinema Comedy
Sky Cinema Select

Do you get the free to air channels like BBC, ITV, C4, C5 etc live or just the channels mentioned?

What's the quality of the picture of the live TV like? HD?

I heard GOT was restricted on Now TV when aired on Sky? And that the catch ups of some popular and new series are only available for limited periods, rather than always in a box set?

Cookie
2 Lemon pips

Postby Cookie » February 3rd, 2018, 12:56 am

Satsuma wrote:

Sky Atlantic
Sky 1
Sky Living
Sky Arts
FOX
Gold
ITV Encore
Comedy Central
MTV
Discovery Channel
Nat Geo Wild
abc studios

Sky Cinema Premiere
Sky Cinema Disney
Sky Cinema Hits
Sky Cinema Family
Sky Cinema Comedy
Sky Cinema Select

Do you get the free to air channels like BBC, ITV, C4, C5 etc live or just the channels mentioned?

I heard GOT was restricted on Now TV when aired on Sky? And that the catch ups of some popular and new series are only available for limited periods, rather than always in a box set?

Cookie
2 Lemon pips

Postby Cookie » February 3rd, 2018, 1:04 am

If you call Sky towards end of contract, can often get discount around 30%.

If not low enough for you, end contract and start 30 day notice period. During that time normally get call for better discount or call them and rather than retentions team, get through to reconnections team who can offer better deals.

I am currently paying £10/month for 12m of basic sky package (around 50% discount)

Just saying for those not wanting to strip down so much, can still negotiate good deals with Sky

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » February 3rd, 2018, 8:24 pm

Cookie wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

Sky Atlantic
Sky 1
Sky Living
Sky Arts
FOX
Gold
ITV Encore
Comedy Central
MTV
Discovery Channel
Nat Geo Wild
abc studios

Sky Cinema Premiere
Sky Cinema Disney
Sky Cinema Hits
Sky Cinema Family
Sky Cinema Comedy
Sky Cinema Select

Yes Cookie, you get all the free to air live TV channels too. So anything you'd get on Freesat (all the terrestrial ones you query, plus a few more).
The quality is ace. Lots of HD stuff and I am delighted with it.

No idea about GOT, but the series we have watched have always been fine. Yes I think they do drop off some series of stuff, but I don't know what goes when - nothing I have saved has so far vanished.

HTH
Sats

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » February 3rd, 2018, 8:30 pm

Cookie wrote:If you call Sky towards end of contract, can often get discount around 30%.

If not low enough for you, end contract and start 30 day notice period. During that time normally get call for better discount or call them and rather than retentions team, get through to reconnections team who can offer better deals.

I am currently paying £10/month for 12m of basic sky package (around 50% discount)

Just saying for those not wanting to strip down so much, can still negotiate good deals with Sky

:lol: You are talking to a lifelong LBYMer! I have played that game for years...

But as per my OP, there was also the internet issue for us. It was appalling - <2mb most of the time, some devices just wouldn't connect on random occasions, the d/l speed was awful (files would take overnight and/or randomly fail) - and when we contacted Sky, they said "tough luck, we see nothing wrong, you must have moved the router" (which had not been touched since it was received). Their poor attitude and general disinterest was palpable.

We now have a brilliant, high speed, stable connection, d/loads take seconds and minutes and we can stream TV, surf the net on multiple devices etc simultaneously.

And finally, we are not tied in to a contract for service or fixed bundle. All plus points for me!

Sats

Cookie
2 Lemon pips

Postby Cookie » February 3rd, 2018, 11:23 pm

Satsuma wrote:
Cookie wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

Sky Atlantic
Sky 1
Sky Living
Sky Arts
FOX
Gold
ITV Encore
Comedy Central
MTV
Discovery Channel
Nat Geo Wild
abc studios

Sky Cinema Premiere
Sky Cinema Disney
Sky Cinema Hits
Sky Cinema Family
Sky Cinema Comedy
Sky Cinema Select

Yes Cookie, you get all the free to air live TV channels too. So anything you'd get on Freesat (all the terrestrial ones you query, plus a few more).
The quality is ace. Lots of HD stuff and I am delighted with it.

No idea about GOT, but the series we have watched have always been fine. Yes I think they do drop off some series of stuff, but I don't know what goes when - nothing I have saved has so far vanished.

HTH
Sats

You can SAVE stuff? Anything like recording it?

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » February 4th, 2018, 3:36 am

Cookie wrote:If you call Sky towards end of contract, can often get discount around 30%.

If you try to cancel your sky now it offers you three months half price which is under £4 a month, and then you enter your next voucher code froma cheap box deal...

shadowside

Postby shadowside » February 4th, 2018, 6:29 am

Now TV has been brilliant for me. I enjoy watching rugby and not having access to Autumn internationals and Lions tours was a real pain. Now I just sign up for a months sports pass when I need it. I think the computer recognizes my need so usually get offered a discounted deal.Otherwise use Freesat and a Humax recorder and always have far more TV available than we are able to watch.

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » February 4th, 2018, 9:04 am

Last Autumn I bought a reduced price NOW box for £12.50 which came with a two month cinema pass. I activated it mid-December so that we would have extra films available over the holiday period. There are quite a lot of films available on it and they add a few new ones in a drip feed manner. But like all these big lists of films there are loads I'm not really interested in, a few I'd like to see but not that desperately, and a handful I actually wanted to watch.
We also have Netflix and while there was a little bit of duplication it wasn't too bad. The NOW selection seems much smaller.
The system works fine but I notice that films seem to have finite availability, I went through the lists adding stuff I might watch to my watchlist but over time some become 'unavailable'. I have a handful of films on it that I still want to see before the pass expires but I doubt I'll renew the pass at £9.99 pm as I've seen most of what I really want to see from their list.

I'm not sure I'm that interested in any of the other passes, although when Formula 1 moves to Sky only in 2019 and if it is available on NOW then I suppose it's an option I might consider, I doubt I'd use it much but you never know. Looking at the device it seems you can get a sports day-pass for £6.99, a week pass for 10.99 and a month for 33.99. I can't imagine being that bothered about watching F1 t if there are free to air highlights available elsewhere (a current unknown) but at least the option may be there.
I might consider buying a discouted movie pass at sometime later in the year when there's a chance of a decent number of new films having been added (either a special offer pass of another discounted box).

There are lots of apps on the box including iplayer 4od, itv player, you-tube and such things, we have a Freesat box with most of the free on demand services but it can be a bit tempramental so I see the NOW as a useful backup to that. Out of interest there is a small 'app store' that enables extra apps to be added, most look uninteresting but some may appeal to certain people, e.g. Fox News, STV player or Redbull tv or some photo streaming systems

BH

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » February 4th, 2018, 7:48 pm

Cookie wrote:You can SAVE stuff? Anything like recording it?

No sorry, I mean we save stuff to our watchlist. There is no record feature, which is more a slight irritation than a dealbreaker.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”