Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

My W7 PC has died

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
GarraGee
2 Lemon pips

My W7 PC has died

Postby GarraGee » February 1st, 2018, 12:14 pm

It's one I built about 9 years ago, not long after W7 came out. It has a Samsung SSD drive.

Went to start it up and there's no response and nothing showing on the monitor.

I won't bother repairing it, but I would like to check whether the SSD is still working and I would then build a new PC around it.

How would I go about it? Presumably, I would need a case of some kind with a USB cable so I could check it on another PC?

Any input much appreciated.

GG

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: My W7 PC has died

Postby mc2fool » February 1st, 2018, 12:59 pm

GarraGee wrote:Presumably, I would need a case of some kind with a USB cable so I could check it on another PC?

Yes, something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EQ7PNZY/_encoding=UTF8 or https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01H1I9X60/_encoding=UTF8 or, if you also have some 3.5" and/or IDE disks too, https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JEYT44Q/_encoding=UTF8

(None are with-experience recommendations, just a selection of what came up in a search).

Of course, you could also open up the other PC and plug your SSD directly into a space SATA slot, if available.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » February 1st, 2018, 1:09 pm

GarraGee wrote:It's one I built about 9 years ago, not long after W7 came out. It has a Samsung SSD drive.

I won't bother repairing it, but I would like to check whether the SSD is still working and I would then build a new PC around it.

How would I go about it? Presumably, I would need a case of some kind with a USB cable so I could check it on another PC?

Any input much appreciated.

GG

If it is dead it is most likely a failed Power Supply, they're easy and cheap enough to replace if you change your mind and it doesn't hurt to have a spare. I definitely wouldn't bother with a USB adaptor, just plug the SSD into your new motherboard with the existing cable. A failed SSD wouldn't produce the dead symptoms you describe, so I would assume that it is OK.

RC

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 1st, 2018, 1:13 pm

If it's completely dead it might be the power supply, which is a cheap and easy DIY fix. (£20 or so.)
I've had them fail before.

If you want to build a brand new PC around an existing W7 SSD you might need to investigate what happens with a new motherboard vis a vis the Windows license.

PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Postby PrincessB » February 1st, 2018, 7:33 pm

It's one I built about 9 years ago, not long after W7 came out. It has a Samsung SSD drive.

Hi GarraGee,

Goodness, doesn't time fly, a machine from 2009 that I most likely wrote a few posts to the Fool about the specifications :)

Have you tried different power cable, or checked the fuse in the old cable - Obvious but worth trying.

Have you got a spare desktop? A USB drive case is a handy thing to have but you could always plug it in to the desktop.

Amusingly I was having a tidy up a couple of weeks ago and found a USB drive case which was strangely heavy, when I opened it up I found a 240GB Kingston SSD drive that I had forgotten about!

If you can gain access to your SSD, you might wish to clone it in order to have two copies of the data stored on it - It would depend on how important the data is to you.

I would then build a new PC around it.

Ahh, a hardware thread at last.

I've been musing on a new PC build for a while - The machines I have are fine but the downstairs desktop which lives at the end of the kitchen/diner extension is starting to look a bit student and out of place.

Once you've established if your SSD is still working, I would be greatly interested in your thoughts if you'd care to start a new thread on a build.

Regards,

B.

GarraGee
2 Lemon pips

Postby GarraGee » February 2nd, 2018, 12:33 am

Many thanks for the many detailed responses.

If anyone could offer a link to the USB drives that you have mentioned, I should be very gtrateful.

TBH, I thought this was just a container for our USB drives.

Thanks again.

GG

GarraGee
2 Lemon pips

Postby GarraGee » February 2nd, 2018, 12:33 am

Many thanks for the many detailed responses.

If anyone could offer a link to the USB drives that you have mentioned, I should be very gtrateful.

TBH, I thought this was just a container for our USB drives.

Thanks again.

GG

xeny
Lemon Slice

Postby xeny » February 3rd, 2018, 8:59 pm

I've had good experiences with:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KW4T69A

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 6th, 2018, 1:41 pm

One thing to bear in mind if doing your own PC build is that currently the prices for RAM, SSD's, graphics cards etc. are all very high (party due to the crypto mining explosion.) Top end graphics cards are actually selling for above list price...

With the bulk discounts the OEM' get on components it's actually quite difficult to beat their prices (currently), especially if you take advantage of the offers that abound (cancelled orders,refurbs from the manufacturer's 'outlet' online stores.)

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 6th, 2018, 2:39 pm

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”