Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Printers with WiFi?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Printers with WiFi?

Postby stevensfo » February 7th, 2018, 2:18 pm

I see most new laser printers have WiFi now. Maybe a silly question to some, but does this mean I can connect directly from my tablet to print, or do I require an internet connection? The printer would be in a place with no fixed internet WiFi, though I would have internet via my phone, so could use that as a WiFi Hotspot if necessary.

The specs talk about Window XP, 7, 10 etc, but does not mention Android. If I open a doc in Google docs, WPS or similar, is there a way of printing from the tablet?

Steve ( a bit out of date with this stuff!)

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Printers with WiFi?

Postby Infrasonic » February 7th, 2018, 2:43 pm

There's 'wifi direct' which means the device you want to print from can communicate directly with the printer and there's wifi via the router, whereby the printer is on the wifi 'network' and the router acts as the middleman.

Many modern printers will have the facility for printing from Android or Apple devices (phones, tablets etc.) via wifi.

For Google 'cloud print' the printer is registered on a Google cloud server so you could print remotely via the internet if needed.

There's also NFC (whereby you touch a phone to the printer and it then prints) and Bluetooth wireless.

You'd need to check the specs on any prospective printer to see what they offer (as well as the specs of any devices that you might want to use like smartphones/tablets/laptops.)

Generally the cheaper printers won't have all the options, so the wifi might be router only, not 'direct' for instance.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: Printers with WiFi?

Postby Alaric » February 7th, 2018, 2:49 pm

stevensfo wrote: If I open a doc in Google docs, WPS or similar, is there a way of printing from the tablet?

If you can find "print" on a side menu, then yes. Both the tablet and the printer would need to be connected to your home wifi. If you need to use hotspot, the printer would need to connect to that.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”