Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Silly Desktop problem

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
ntl2000

Silly Desktop problem

Postby ntl2000 » February 7th, 2018, 3:52 pm

My desktop is linked up to two monitors.

Recently, presumably following a windows update the following happens when I turn it on first thing every morning.

Both monitor power lights go blue, the first screen boot up logo appears very very briefly then the main monitor light goes orange and nothing appears on either monitor.

I turn off the desktop using the on/off button on the box as there is nothing on screen. I turn it back on again and everything works just fine.
This happens every morning!

I had a similar problem once before and the solution was to "roll back" driver updates but it will not allow me to do it this time. Also says drivers are up to date.

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fi ... or-solved/

Silly really, cannot work out why the second start up always works and not the first one but just a waste of 5 minutes every morning.

Thanks for reading.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: Silly Desktop problem

Postby Alaric » February 7th, 2018, 5:49 pm

ntl2000 wrote:Recently, presumably following a windows update the following happens when I turn it on first thing every morning.

Both monitor power lights go blue, the first screen boot up logo appears very very briefly then the main monitor light goes orange and nothing appears on either monitor.

It could be worth checking whether the Windows update went through without problems. There's a link to a history file from the Update icon in Control Panel. If it did fail, every time you switch on, it will try and fail to install the new stuff.

ntl2000

Postby ntl2000 » February 7th, 2018, 9:37 pm

Thanks for the reply Alaric.

There don't seem to be any problems with the install history and if it were the case why would it start up cleanly the second time?

Driving me mad!

Cheers.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » February 8th, 2018, 1:01 am

ntl2000 wrote:... the following happens when I turn it on first thing every morning.

By first screen boot up logo do you mean the firmware logo? I.e. the manufacturer's or BIOS logo. If so and then truly very very briefly later the main monitor goes into standby then it may not be a Windows problem, as that sounds too instant for the Windows drivers to have loaded (depending on your definition of very very briefly of course :-))

What happens if you try booting to the BIOS setup on the first thing turn on? (This is commonly done by repeatedly pounding F10 while turning on, but if not google for how on your model.)

I turn off the desktop using the on/off button on the box as there is nothing on screen. I turn it back on again and everything works just fine.

Now, the way you put that makes me wonder if your first thing turn on also involves turning on the power at the wall first, and if so what happens if, instead of just turning off using the on/off button on the box, you also switch off at the wall, wait a minute, and start again?

ntl2000

Postby ntl2000 » February 8th, 2018, 9:20 am

Hi mc2fool

Thanks for your interest in my problem.

I checked this morning and as you say it is the HP logo briefly, literally the windows blue window pane for a second or two and then "no signal analog".

Again it boots up just fine second time although I do get the message "The user name or password is incorrect" although of course I never got that far but it implies Windows loaded???

I never touch the wall socket power in the morning but I will try the BIOS set up you suggested tomorrow.

Cheers

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » February 8th, 2018, 9:20 am

mc2fool wrote:By first screen boot up logo do you mean the firmware logo? I.e. the manufacturer's or BIOS logo. If so and then truly very very briefly later the main monitor goes into standby then it may not be a Windows problem

Now, the way you put that makes me wonder if your first thing turn on also involves turning on the power at the wall first, and if so what happens if, instead of just turning off using the on/off button on the box, you also switch off at the wall, wait a minute, and start again?

Folllowing on from this - how are you switching off at night? Are you sure that the machine isn't just sleeping or hibernating? So the problem you're trying to solve is failure to resume properly rather than switch on?? (This may well not be the problem but it's worth ruling everything in or out....)

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » February 8th, 2018, 12:24 pm

ntl2000 wrote:I checked this morning and as you say it is the HP logo briefly, literally the windows blue window pane for a second or two and then "no signal analog".

Well, that implies that you have the monitor connected with a 15-pin DSub VGA connector. Is that correct? And how are the monitors configured, setup wise (on the monitors' menus)?

I ask 'cos I too have two monitors, and both have both DVI and VGA inputs. The DVI inputs are connected to my Windows 10 system and the VGA inputs to my (now all but retired) Windows XP system, and at the flick (?!) of a menu selection on each monitor I can have them both on the W10 system or both on the XP system or one on each (either way). However, if I have one on each, and I don't turn "auto search" off in the input settings menu on the monitors then if I don't work on one system for a while and it goes into display-energy-saving mode then that monitor will switch to the other system.

Again it boots up just fine second time although I do get the message "The user name or password is incorrect" although of course I never got that far but it implies Windows loaded???

Yes, but that also sounds like you have auto-login-on-boot setup but with an incorrect parameters, and that's be worth sorting out too...

ntl2000

Postby ntl2000 » February 8th, 2018, 10:09 pm

Hi guys

I feel bad taking up everyone's time with such a silly problem but it is annoying!

To answer further questions, chas49, I shut the machine down at night by closing it down properly so it is never hibernating or anything like that in the morning when I come to start up.

mc2fool, it's not on auto login it needs a password every time to successfully log in so when I get that message on the second log in it just gives me the option to try again, I put in the password and hey presto it is fine. You are getting a bit technical for me on the monitor set up. All I can say it that it has worked fine for years, the last year or so on Windows 10, other than the one time it stopped working similar to now and I googled the answer as being to roll back drivers, which it will now not let me do. The monitors are set up such that all the icons after a successful log in are on the left screen (the screen where the monitor light goes amber when I have the problem) and I drag stuff across to the other monitor if I want two separate displays running.

Cheers.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » February 8th, 2018, 11:00 pm

ntl2000 wrote:mc2fool, it's not on auto login it needs a password every time to successfully log in so when I get that message on the second log in it just gives me the option to try again, I put in the password and hey presto it is fine. You are getting a bit technical for me on the monitor set up. All I can say it that it has worked fine for years...

Well then, if you are getting "The user name or password is incorrect" then either you are entering an incorrect password or something (the keyboard on its own or some other glitch) is doing so for you, and if the latter that's (also) an issue that needs investigating.

On the monitors, I suggest you try and understand your setup & configuration, 'cos nobody in any forum you ask for help in can reliably guess at that remotely.

ntl2000

Postby ntl2000 » February 9th, 2018, 9:45 am

On the monitors, I suggest you try and understand your setup & configuration, 'cos nobody in any forum you ask for help in can reliably guess at that remotely.

Fair comment. I will do some research and get back to you.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”