Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt, for Donating to support the site

Replacing with NEST

Does what it says on the tin
Pheidippides
2 Lemon pips

Replacing with NEST

Postby Pheidippides » November 29th, 2016, 9:39 am

I had a Vaillant Ecotec Combi installed in the loft about 3 years ago. This is managed by a Horstmann Z-Wave Room Thermostat

http://www.securemeters.com/horstmann/p ... ts/hrt4-zw

Because I am shallow and susceptible to marketing and design I find myself attracted to a Nest thermostat, but having laid out £160, is replacing the Horstmann simple, and is there any way to see the instructions online?

Regards

Pheid

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Re: Replacing with NEST

Postby csearle » November 30th, 2016, 2:00 pm

Pheidippides wrote:I had a Vaillant Ecotec Combi installed in the loft about 3 years ago. This is managed by a Horstmann Z-Wave Room Thermostat

http://www.securemeters.com/horstmann/p ... ts/hrt4-zw

Because I am shallow and susceptible to marketing and design I find myself attracted to a Nest thermostat, but having laid out £160, is replacing the Horstmann simple, and is there any way to see the instructions online?

Regards

Pheid

Hi Pheid,

I'm no expert on these things, so take what I say with at least a pinch of salt.

As I understand it the NEST replaces the existing thermostat and the existing heating controler (i.e. the timer). Your HRT4-ZW seems to be the transmitting part of a thermostat. So I presume you have a receiving part somewhere too. That part might very well just have an on/off contact that would be inserted in the circuit where a conventional thermostat would normally be.

So if this is correct you would need to find your existing heating controler and replace it with the NEST receiver. You would also need to replace both the transmitting and receiving parts of the Horstmann system because they would both become redundant. The NEST thermostat would need I think to use its plug-in power supply unit.

One of the NEST installation guides is here but please ensure it is the one you are considering.

Regards,
Chris

Pheidippides
2 Lemon pips

Re: Replacing with NEST

Postby Pheidippides » December 1st, 2016, 11:25 pm

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I was intending to replace both as the Horstmann is z-wave and not compatible with the next. Thanks for the link - I still have the original Horstmann instructions and they look reasonably simple to transpose the wiring between the two

Regards

Pheid

Return to “Building and DIY”