Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Legionella Risk Question.

Does what it says on the tin
quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Legionella Risk Question.

Postby quelquod » February 4th, 2017, 11:46 am

I'm involved in some minor interior demolition in a large property, mainly removal of stud partitioning. The central heating system (u/s) is an open system and hasn't been in use for several years. The radiators are all drop fed from overhead piping so will be full of water. Can anyone advise (no speculation please) on the legionella risks in draining and dismantling and what if any precautions are needed?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Legionella Risk Question.

Postby Itsallaguess » February 4th, 2017, 12:19 pm

quelquod wrote:
I'm involved in some minor interior demolition in a large property, mainly removal of stud partitioning. The central heating system (u/s) is an open system and hasn't been in use for several years. The radiators are all drop fed from overhead piping so will be full of water. Can anyone advise (no speculation please) on the legionella risks in draining and dismantling and what if any precautions are needed?

Hopefully some useful information here for you -

http://www.heating-plumbers.co.uk/legio ... g-systems/

http://www.legionnairesdisease.nl/about ... 99-disease

After having a quick read (although you should ensure this is correct yourself before proceeding..), it seems that the risk is related to mist or vapour-generating situations, where potentially infected water droplets are inhaled into the lungs.

If you drain the system and its components and then rip out, I can't imagine a scenario where mist or vapour of this type is generated.

I'd still wear a good filter-mask though, but probably as much for asbestos-related risks as anything else, but a mask of that type would also stop any vapour or mist-related risks at the same time....

Just my take on this, from a quick read of the above sites. This snippet from the second link gives a flavour of the advice being given -

Could the air conditioning in my car cause a problem?

Since these systems do not create a mist, there is no risk from the air conditioning in cars.

What about the water reservoirs of central heating radiators?

These are harmless; although vaporization occurs, there is no formation of droplets and/or mist. However, regular cleaning of these water reservoirs with chlorine is recommended.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Return to “Building and DIY”