Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Stand-alone PIR detector

Does what it says on the tin
alex812

Stand-alone PIR detector

Postby alex812 » February 1st, 2017, 3:24 pm

Have one of these to control a drive light and it's started playing up. In need of adjustment I think but can I as hell find the instructions. There are three small control knobs on the underside coloured red, yellow and white. No labels. Anyone like to hazard a guess at functions or, if I'm exceptionally lucky, someone has similar model. There's no manufacturer's label to be found. It's about 5 years old and not an eBay el cheapo. Nor can I find it on Amazon. Probably too old now.

Alex

3george

Re: Stand-alone PIR detector

Postby 3george » February 1st, 2017, 3:29 pm

I'm not sure which is which but perhaps

Sensitivity ?
Light Duration ?
Lux Level to activate at dusk ?

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » February 1st, 2017, 3:33 pm

http://www.faithfulltools.com/support/F ... ctions.pdf
above has sensitivity, time and lux.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » February 1st, 2017, 7:06 pm

alex812 wrote:
Have one of these to control a drive light and it's started playing up. In need of adjustment I think but can I as hell find the instructions. There are three small control knobs on the underside coloured red, yellow and white. No labels. Anyone like to hazard a guess at functions or, if I'm exceptionally lucky, someone has similar model. There's no manufacturer's label to be found. It's about 5 years old and not an eBay el cheapo. Nor can I find it on Amazon. Probably too old now.

Alex

I've been happy to use the Ebay el-cheapo PIR kit for many years now, and would recommend giving them a go for something like this. The problem I've found with even the more expensive non-Ebay PIR kit isn't necessarily the electrics, and is more often the translucent window area.

The plastic window area gets weathered over time, especially if they are exposed to the sun for parts of the day, and this then stops the PIR working correctly no matter which kit I seem to use, so I now tend to go for the cheaper items and then don't mind replacing them every 6 or 7 years, which I still found I had to do even if I'd paid extra for the more expensive PIR kit.

I've used these a couple of times and would recommend them for anyone wanting to pursue a similar approach -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-110V-240V- ... CsqZdg0UKA

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

alex812

Postby alex812 » February 2nd, 2017, 10:38 am

3george & kempiejon - sure you're right, but which is which?

Itsallaguess - not knocking eBay, it's just that I'm sure that this particular item wasn't bought that way. I'll just have to make an inspired guess at colour allocations.

Alex

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 2nd, 2017, 12:08 pm

Googling for images at https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=PIR+d ... nob+images suggests a clear preponderance of Sensitivity - Time - Lux (left to right).

Often, though, I find that if I wipe off the discolouration on the faded plastic, there are faint images embossed onto the plastic that make it all clear.

BJ

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » February 2nd, 2017, 1:12 pm

alex812 wrote:...sure you're right, but which is which?
I don't think there is a standard colour scheme. In fact almost all I've come across are of the same colour with a word or symbol indicating which is which. So I think that the only hope of answering your question would be if you could provide at least the manufacturer of your PIR and preferably the model too!

I think you could work it out by experimentation. You could first assume that anticlockwise means "less" and turn them all that way. While jiggling about in front of it turn each fully clockwise (and back again) in turn until it detects you. That one is probably the lux level. Then find out which of the others affects the on-duration. That is the time adjuster. The last one is probably sensitivity.

If that proves inconclusive, start with them all clockwise and try again reversing the directions above.

Good luck,
Chris

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » February 7th, 2017, 12:52 pm

I think they are in the order I offered, Sensitivity - Time - Lux (left to right).
The page I linked to had instructions for setting up whcih could help you determine too.

CHris I think Lux is the level at which the PIR triggers so a high value means it works in day and night and a lower level just when darker. The jiggling about test is for sensitivity.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » February 7th, 2017, 2:39 pm

kempiejon wrote:Chris I think Lux is the level at which the PIR triggers so a high value means it works in day and night and a lower level just when darker.
I agree. The jiggling about was just meant to cause the thing to detect movement. I usually just wave my hand a few inches in front of the sensor. Only when the lux level is individually turned up (I've rather assumed this is all being done during the daylight by the way) should the thing trigger.

Cheers,
Chris

Return to “Building and DIY”