Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

type one MOT or Gravel

Does what it says on the tin
toofast2live
Lemon Slice

type one MOT or Gravel

Postby toofast2live » February 17th, 2017, 11:32 am

Hi

We are resurfacing a church carpark. Tarmac is not an option, and the current surface is earth/mud. One contractor has quoted for type one MOT and another for gravel as the final surface, after levelling and hard core.

My question is simply is there a significant difference in quality of experience for end user when both have been compacted?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: type one MOT or Gravel

Postby bungeejumper » February 17th, 2017, 12:50 pm

There's gravel and there's gravel. :) Neighbours of ours are still cursing the day they put eight tons of 'spherical' pea gravel onto their drive - it never settles, no matter how hard you compact it, but stays mobile. Noisy and scrunchy, and it spins up under your wheels like Chesil Beach and goes into ruts. But stone with sharp or angular edges will pack down to a stable surface, especially if there's also a bit of coarse ballast (grit and coarse sand) to hold it together.

Your choice might depend on where you live. Around our way, it's mostly crushed Cotswold stone ("Cerney gravel"), which is soft and stable and which actually breaks down a little bit after a winter's frosts. We've used 25 tonnes of it so far, which we specified "with binder", and it's been great. But if your local look is Thames Valley flinty pebbles you might need to think about how you're going to stabilise it.

BJ

toofast2live
Lemon Slice

Postby toofast2live » February 17th, 2017, 1:40 pm

No its a nice scrunchy bedding down gravel (see my expertise!) not that pea stuff. Is your surface type one MOT which I gather is crunched concrete?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 17th, 2017, 1:52 pm

AFAIK MOT1 is a subbase material rather than a top finish (and MOT1 is not a current accurate description) see the follow site for details:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/subbase.htm

You might have problems with drainage with this type of material.

I would question a contractor who uses it as a finished surface unless standing water and puddles are not going to be an issue for you.

The church car park across the road from me used to have a compacted aggregate type surface, it looked unsightly and was always prone to puddles and holes, it was not heavily used either.

They finally surfaced it with a modern permeable tarmac surface and have had no problem and a much nicer looking car park since.

John

toofast2live
Lemon Slice

Postby toofast2live » February 17th, 2017, 7:49 pm

Hmmm, there is no way we can afford permeable tarmac (and it would have to be because of protected trees). We have to choose an alternative, I think, so your expertise would be appreciated.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » February 17th, 2017, 8:00 pm

bungeejumper wrote:r way, it's mostly crushed Cotswold stone ("Cerney gravel"), which is soft and stable and which actually breaks down a little bit after a winter's frosts. We've used 25 tonnes of it so far

Good God, how large an area did you need that much for? I covered an entire driveway and hardstanding with 3 tons, and that was a massive undertaking.

You're absolutely right about that spherical gravel though. Plus particularly virulent plants can navigate their way through it. Luckily I learned that on a smaller project.

I am more a Purbeck stone chap, myself.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 17th, 2017, 8:06 pm

toofast2live wrote:Hmmm, there is no way we can afford permeable tarmac (and it would have to be because of protected trees). We have to choose an alternative, I think, so your expertise would be appreciated.

If you read through the paving expert site that I linked to then you will know all you need to.. Basically though you will will need to choose a suitable subbase material and then decide on the top finish. Pea gravel is clearly not suitable but other types of stone chipping will be...the less spherical the better.

Your choice of contractor will be critical, get to see examples of their work, preferably that have been in situ for some years!

John

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » February 18th, 2017, 7:17 pm

A bit of a sideways suggestion - have you thought of Grasscrete (or similar?).

There are lots of similar products, some modular, some interlock, some are just ground reinforcement.

Get a good sub-base, fix this on top, and fill the gaps with gravel or soil.

Paul

toofast2live
Lemon Slice

Postby toofast2live » February 24th, 2017, 1:42 pm

"Road planings" have now been suggested. I can't find reference to them in that article. Any views on suitabilility for a cheap car par surface?

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Postby Gaggsy » February 24th, 2017, 3:56 pm

toofast2live wrote:"Road planings" have now been suggested. I can't find reference to them in that article. Any views on suitabilility for a cheap car par surface?

Perfectly acceptable. Here's a reference in the forums -
http://www.pavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/ib3 ... 3365;&#top
unfortunately it doesn't say what depth you need, but that would also depend on your existing surface.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 25th, 2017, 12:58 pm

toofast2live wrote:"Road planings" have now been suggested.

Also known as scalpings. Cheap as chips - I've seen 40mm quoted at anything from £15 to £23 per tonne, plus delivery. I used it once for a drainage ditch (french drain), and it was perfect, didn't leak tarry oils (as I might have feared), and was very stable once it was laid. I'd guess that it would be pretty weed resistant too if used as a base. Would definitely do it again.

BJ

Return to “Building and DIY”