Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

DIY fitted wardrobe kits

Does what it says on the tin
iain123

DIY fitted wardrobe kits

Postby iain123 » February 24th, 2017, 8:23 am

Looking for some recommendations for DIY fitted wardrobe kits.

1) Anybody care to recommend a manufacturer?
2) Any pitfalls I should look out for?

(It’s going to be approx 4.5m wide, floor to ceiling, fitted to floor boards, and plastered brick walls)

Many thanks

GSD82

Re: DIY fitted wardrobe kits

Postby GSD82 » March 16th, 2017, 9:03 pm

Could you do yourself with ikea pax? Check out ikea hacks online. Inspiring stuff I have seen.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » March 16th, 2017, 10:55 pm

I've just put in some Ikea Pax units. Quite impressed by the quality (and price) of the stuff. Easy to assemble, very versatile and nice and rigid if care is taken. We had a bit of a nightmare with the Ikea delivery system but if you can pick up yourself then you would avoid that.

iain123

Postby iain123 » March 17th, 2017, 9:14 am

Thanks for the responses.

We went for the ikea PAX system in the end. The wardrobe innards are typical ikea quality – just OK – the draws feel a bit flimsy but you know they will last but you also know the larger chipboard shelves are going to droop over time. However, the sliding doors are of impressive quality and amazingly sturdy considering they’re flat packed and self-assembly (door assembly is also a bit of a knack).

Although I don’t think ikea are particularly cheap (and haven’t been for a long time now) considering the self-assembly and the chipboard construction. We spent 1200 GBP on a 4m long x2.3m high stretch of wardrobes. Two traditional last a lifetime solid oak pre built wardrobes of similar dimensions would have been 1500GBP. Ikea charge 70GBP for a four pack of door panels whether mirrored glass or thin veneered ply but yet sell giant mirrors individually for 16 quid…..

Kids loved the build tho.

Return to “Building and DIY”