Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Cost of completely refitting bathroom

Does what it says on the tin
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Cost of completely refitting bathroom

Postby Clariman » March 18th, 2017, 8:33 am

What would you expect to pay to have a good quality (but not 'branded') bathroom. We want to replace what we have in a 4* holiday let to bring it up to date and make it look smart. Room is approx 2 metres square. Just wondering what your budget would be for all the following (including installation)? I have a quote but want to get a feel for how reasonable.

The cost to include....
New bath & bath panel, toilet, sink, taps, electric shower over bath, shower screen screen
Wet wall throughout
Floor tiles
Slimline vanity units on one side (incorporating the toilet and sink)
Electric towel rail

Also cost for installation?

Thanks
C

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Re: Cost of completely refitting bathroom

Postby bionichamster » March 18th, 2017, 8:53 am

I''d do some google research adding up of the cost of the materials and fittings and maybe add 10-15% then decide if the remainder sounds like an acceptable amount for however many days work you've been quoted. If it's one guy working for a couple of hundred a day it's probably a bargain (or a shoddy worker who's dodging tax and insurance etc), if it's one guy working for a couple of grand a day, it probably isn't.

BH

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » March 18th, 2017, 9:06 am

bionichamster wrote:I''d do some google research adding up of the cost of the materials and fittings and maybe add 10-15% then decide if the remainder sounds like an acceptable amount for however many days work you've been quoted. If it's one guy working for a couple of hundred a day it's probably a bargain (or a shoddy worker who's dodging tax and insurance etc), if it's one guy working for a couple of grand a day, it probably isn't.

BH

Thanks. I have a detailed breakdown of the costs of all items (from MKM) which comes to about £3,600 including VAT which is a lot more than I was expecting. The installer's estimate covers plumber, apprentice, electrician and joiner's time.

C

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 18th, 2017, 9:14 am

Clariman wrote:What would you expect to pay to have a good quality (but not 'branded') bathroom. We want to replace what we have in a 4* holiday let to bring it up to date and make it look smart. Room is approx 2 metres square. Just wondering what your budget would be for all the following (including installation)? I have a quote but want to get a feel for how reasonable.

The cost to include....
New bath & bath panel, toilet, sink, taps, electric shower over bath, shower screen screen
Wet wall throughout
Floor tiles
Slimline vanity units on one side (incorporating the toilet and sink)
Electric towel rail

Also cost for installation?

Thanks
C

So how much for the total job?

To give some perspective, I am having a wet room fitted out and a separate cloakroom. All stripped back to bare walls and replumbed completely.

I have just paid a fully itemised bill for some of the materials excluding toilet and basin and taps it is £1600 inc VAT.

I would expect about another £2.5 to £3K for the labour.

This is for an average job, for our last two top of the range bathrooms we paid £32K! That was when I let Mrs RS manage the budget though.

John

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » March 18th, 2017, 9:20 am

Unless you can keep a close eye on the place, add (potentially) over £1000 per year in wasted water if you fit a toilet with a drop-valve. A toilet with a proper syphon is rare these days: Even those with handles usually have the crappy mechanism inside. If you think a handle isn't modern enough, you could go a little bit retro and have the novelty (and class) of a high-level one with a chain.

Julian F. G. W.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » March 18th, 2017, 9:45 am

Just checked what I paid in 2009 for bathroom makeover. Total £5800. This did not include, heated towel rail, bathroom suite & shower valve, shower screen, tiles, karndean floor and decoration. I was "robbed".....

Raptor.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 18th, 2017, 9:47 am

Raptor wrote:Just checked what I paid in 2009 for bathroom makeover. Total £5800. This did not include, heated towel rail, bathroom suite & shower valve, shower screen, tiles, karndean floor and decoration. I was "robbed".....

Raptor.

This morning when I wen't into my very expensive en-suite, I was robed...

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » March 18th, 2017, 11:04 am

Thanks everyone. Installer's estimate is about £2600 to cover all trades. Based on what everyone has said, that is probably reasonable?

The fixtures and fittings at £3600 are more than I expected and they've missed off the shower, so add in another £200.

So total cost is around £6400. I was hoping we'd get the whole thing done for 4K.

Gut feeling- is 6400 a bargain, going rate of top heavy?

It is in a small town but trades are pretty busy this time of year.

C

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » March 18th, 2017, 11:06 am

redsturgeon wrote:This morning when I wen't into my very expensive en-suite, I was robed...

Very funny. Given the expense of your bathroom, no wonder your other half is still working ;)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 18th, 2017, 11:24 am

Clariman wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:This morning when I wen't into my very expensive en-suite, I was robed...

Very funny. Given the expense of your bathroom, no wonder your other half is still working ;)

Yup...that's the deal!

We both seem to have the complete opposite approach to income and expenditure.

I am very much of the school that feels that being careful with spending allows more leisure and less work.

Mrs RS believes that working hard and long provides her the income to splash out on whatever she desires.

I guess both philosophies have their pros and cons and maybe it is a Mars and Venus thing as much as anything.

Back on topic, £6400 going rate for a decent job, not cheap but certainly not a rip off.

John

Return to “Building and DIY”