Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Fence Paint

Does what it says on the tin
Brava21
Lemon Pip

Fence Paint

Postby Brava21 » February 21st, 2017, 10:49 am

Morning all!

I am going to be painting the fencing around my back garden as soon as weather permits this year and would be very grateful for any recommendations as to brand, etc. Previously, I have generally used the cheapest I can find in an acceptable colour, but a conversation with a couple of colleagues a while ago has made me wonder if this might be a false economy in the long run.

I am going to be paining the fences black*, which I mention for two reasons - firstly as I am going to need something that covers well (though I expect to use at least two coats) and also because an initial (but admittedly cursory, and without my reading glasses) look at the shelves in B&Q indicates that not all manufacturers make their fence paint in black.

Anyway, if anyone has any recommendations for decent stuff, and equally what to avoid, that would be smashing.

Brava

*Not so much as a style statement but due to the fact that the houses where we live are all white rendered and were originally built with black front doors, rain water goods and boundary fences. The houses which have retained that colour scheme look really smart and this will be phase 1 of reinstating this with ours (phase 2 will be the new front door, when it is warm enough to get one of those installed).

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Re: Fence Paint

Postby quelquod » February 21st, 2017, 1:55 pm

If your fence is adequately preserved already and all you are concerned about is colour, then I'd recommend Ronseal Fencelife. There are a few different 'grades' though I've only ever found the cheapest stocked locally and it's available in black although again you might have to hunt as brown seems more popular. The cheapest one seems to cover very well and has lasted here (Scotland) for over 5 years with good colour retention. Common to find good pricing too (on the brown anyway). No affiliation.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » February 22nd, 2017, 12:33 pm

We took 2 gallons of B&Q own brand Timbercare to the tip last weekend.

It was the green one we used on some trellis last Autumn and intended to do the whole fence until we got sidetracked.

Or at least I'm pretty sure we painted the trellis with it last autumn. One of the tubs was opened, we remembered using it, but apart from the odd bit in the screw head where it was fixed to the wall, there is no trace of paint on the trellis.

Paul

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » February 22nd, 2017, 4:39 pm

quelquod wrote:
If your fence is adequately preserved already and all you are concerned about is colour, then I'd recommend Ronseal Fencelife. There are a few different 'grades' though I've only ever found the cheapest stocked locally and it's available in black although again you might have to hunt as brown seems more popular. The cheapest one seems to cover very well and has lasted here (Scotland) for over 5 years with good colour retention. Common to find good pricing too (on the brown anyway). No affiliation.

Some of the Ronseal Fence Life products are on offer at Screwfix at the moment, roughly half-price for some of the 5ltr and 9ltr tubs of different colours -

http://www.screwfix.com/p/ronseal-brush ... 9ltr/62728

http://www.screwfix.com/c/decorating/fe ... /cat850566

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Brava21
Lemon Pip

Postby Brava21 » March 29th, 2017, 2:42 pm

Many thanks for the replies and suggestions!

I bought the paint yesterday (happened to be passing B&Q) - I have gone for the 5 year Ronseal Fence Life in Tudor Black Oak.

I will report back on ease of painting, coverage and so on but that may be in a while. Looking at the weather forecast, it does look like there won't be any painting this weekend :)

Thanks again, much appreciated
Brava

Return to “Building and DIY”