Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Tiled Roof Soil Stack / AAV question

Does what it says on the tin
3george

Tiled Roof Soil Stack / AAV question

Postby 3george » April 6th, 2017, 3:12 pm

I have three ( pretty ugly ) soil vent pipes on the roof of my property which serve (as I understand ) to provide ventilation to the soil stacks in the house.

I would like to do away with these for aesthetic reasons - so my question is / can I install an AAV ( air-intake-valve ) within the loft space and then make good / tile over & make good the roofline ?

I'd be looking to use something like this > other vendors offer similarly priced products ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OsmaVent-4S304 ... B00VEDQOB6

Any reasons why this might not be a good idea given most new properties I see now have no visible soil vent pipes so I'm assuming they must adopt this method.

Thanks for any advice in advance

3g.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Tiled Roof Soil Stack / AAV question

Postby redsturgeon » April 6th, 2017, 6:00 pm

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Re: Tiled Roof Soil Stack / AAV question

Postby stewamax » April 6th, 2017, 9:10 pm

Should be fine if your soil stacks are one of the standard diameters. And the loft is ideal as well: is it above any likely 'flood level' of attached lavatories or basins.

I had a them fitted when I brought a couple of stacks 'in house' during some other plumbing work.
They are very simple devices - normally just a gravity-held flap that opens to let air in when the soil-pipe pressure drops. And even in a loft space there should normally be sufficient warm air in the pipe to prevent the flap freezing.

Return to “Building and DIY”