Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Can venetian blinds be fitted entirely from below?

Does what it says on the tin
Julian
Lemon Quarter

Can venetian blinds be fitted entirely from below?

Postby Julian » April 6th, 2017, 11:09 am

Is it necessary to have access to the face of a venetian blind mechanism in order to fix it to a concrete wall, assuming that any angle brackets necessary for fixing from below have already been fitted to the wall?

I'm considering boxing out about 70mm out along the top of one of my walls with a drop of about 150mm depth below the ceiling in order to to hide some pipes and wires. At the same time I'm planning to change blinds anyway and it would be very neat to also hide the venetian blind mechanisms behind the boxing as well.

If some sort of right-angle brackets are required so that the blind boxes can be fitted from below then those can easily be face-fixed to the wall before the boxing is installed but once the boxing is in I am wondering whether the blind mechanisms can be installed and secured from below with no more access to the face.

This is actually more for maintenance/removal/future-replacement than installation since the first set of blinds could be face-fixed and then the boxing installed over them. I'm more concerned about whether it would be a case of once installed then removal requiring breaking away the boxing.

(This boxing is of course more of a pelmet for some of its length since it will be open at the bottom where the blinds need to drop down.)

- Julian

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Can venetian blinds be fitted entirely from below?

Postby redsturgeon » April 6th, 2017, 11:13 am

My venetian blinds have end caps that are screwed to the wall or ceiling and these have a latch that opens from below to allow removal and fitting of the blind itself.

John

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » April 6th, 2017, 2:32 pm

Julian wrote:Is it necessary to have access to the face of a venetian blind mechanism in order to fix it to a concrete wall, assuming that any angle brackets necessary for fixing from below have already been fitted to the wall?
I Googled ceiling mount blinds and came up with several hits (e.g. this), so if you could get a fixing upwards then I'm sure you would leave all maintenance and replacement options open.

Regards,
Chris

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » April 7th, 2017, 8:16 pm

Provided the head of the blind isn't too far up in the boxing in you should be ok, you just need room to get a screwdriver behind the fixing bracket to force the clip open.

Below is fitting instructions for one type of bracket which seems to be quite common. Section 3 is the relevant part....

http://www.blinds-2go.co.uk/instruction ... swivel.pdf

Return to “Building and DIY”