Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Push button flush

Does what it says on the tin
GarraGee
2 Lemon pips

Push button flush

Postby GarraGee » April 7th, 2017, 2:07 pm

Fitted around 6 years ago, it has a big button and a small button.

Just recently, it takes longer to refill the cistern after a flush - maybe 8-10 minutes. This started after I had a combi boiler fitted, the previous water supply was low pressure from a storage tank in the loft.

Could it be that there are different fittings for low and high pressure water systems?

I can't see a makers name anywhere, so I'm not sure what to ask for at the plumbers merchants.

Any advice appreciated, many thanks/

GG

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Re: Push button flush

Postby Halicarnassus » April 7th, 2017, 2:23 pm

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » April 7th, 2017, 4:09 pm

The same fittings are used for both high and low pressure. It would be necessary to know the manufacturer to know if it comes with different restrictors for different pressures but I would expect the flow rate to be greater with a higher pressure. It could be that debris has entered the inlet valve from when the work was undertaken.

If your toilet is one of those modern diabolical push-button ones, the inlet valve is almost certainly a "part 4" type. Each manufacturer uses a different design (and a different washer) but it should be possible to get it apart somehow. Turn the water off first, pull it apart, then turn the water on a bit and see what happens. You may be able to see if there is any debris in the bits you take off. If it still seems blocked, you will probably need to take the valve out completely and check inside the tail. Either that or just replace the whole valve. I like the brass-tailed ones, http://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-b ... alve/47792 .

Julian F. G. W.

GarraGee
2 Lemon pips

Postby GarraGee » April 8th, 2017, 8:41 am

Thank you.

GG

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 8th, 2017, 10:36 am

We had similar recently - the toilet would refill only very slowly, and on inspection it turned out that the tiny membrane in the valve had ruptured. I managed to find a replacement by googling for images of my valve assembly! (A "Siamp Bottom Entry", snigger :? . A popular cheapo brand, commonly fitted to DIY shed toilets. But replacements were all in stock at good old Screwfix. :lol: ) And it was only about four quid, postage paid, and very easy to fit as long as you've got an isolation valve on your toilet.

Of course, a whole new unit would hardly cost significantly more, but then you've got the 15 minute bother of fitting it.

Good luck

BJ

mike
Lemon Slice

Postby mike » April 8th, 2017, 12:29 pm

GarraGee wrote:Could it be that there are different fittings for low and high pressure water systems?

It's going back a bit now, but I seem to remember when I fitted one of these at home, you had to make a choice as to whether it was a high or low pressure system. Mine was mains fed, so high pressure.

It was then necessary to insert the optional pressure reducer which was a bit of plastic approx 30-40mm long by ~15mm diameter and looked like an auger screw. It may be you just have to remove this from the inlet ?

Mike

Return to “Building and DIY”