Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Electric Paint Sprayer

Does what it says on the tin
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Electric Paint Sprayer

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » August 16th, 2022, 9:10 pm

Thinking of getting one for the fence and some masonry wall paint. Not a great deal of fence or wall to do but this should be quicker than a 4" brush [hopefully]

Will this do the job?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00P2HSQMK/ ... _lig_dp_it

AiY(D)

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Electric Paint Sprayer

Postby staffordian » August 16th, 2022, 10:44 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Thinking of getting one for the fence and some masonry wall paint. Not a great deal of fence or wall to do but this should be quicker than a 4" brush [hopefully]

Will this do the job?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00P2HSQMK/ ... _lig_dp_it

AiY(D)

This guy seems to know what he is talking about...

https://youtu.be/EBp2hLzUBws

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » August 16th, 2022, 11:47 pm

I have quite a posh one, bought about 20 years ago. A Wagner IIRC. Comes with adapters for all kinds of paint, and a dilution system with a funnel to measure flow to get the dilution correct.

I used it once for a solvent based fence treatment (which either blew everywhere on the light breeze, or when I got closer went on too thick and ran), and once for white masonry paint inside a garage (which needed to be diluted so much it went everywhere), since when I have repeated both tasks using brushes and rollers.

I really should take it to the tip.

A cheap 2L hand pump garden spray is just as good for the fence - you can do about 10 6x6 panels before the solvent based ones dissolve the seals, so start with the side with the bracing on as that is the one that takes the time to treat.

Paul

Sobraon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Sobraon » August 16th, 2022, 11:48 pm

Just got a £30 one from Screwfix (Energer). With Ronseal Fence Life Plus 'thinned' 30/35% with water it does the job well and I haven't had any any clogs in the sprayer. Remember to adjust the paint flow rate regulator as necessary and stop spraying occasionally and give the gun a shake to stop any settling.

A coat on both sides of five 6x6 fence panels takes me an hour (number of coats of course depend on colour used). The 'wet' parts and the 'dry' electrical parts of the sprayer very neatly separate and clean up is really simple with soap and water.

So the question is would I revert to using a brush again for fence painting? Nope, sprayer is faster with better coverage and is much less effort. Only downside is the size of the paint reservoir on the Energer which at 800ml does about 3/4 of one side of a 6x6 panel so a little small.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 16th, 2022, 11:59 pm

...and check the neighbour isn't hanging their clothes out on the otherside of the fence (it was only toddlers' running about stuff but it was noticeably striped after)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 17th, 2022, 8:27 am

servodude wrote:...and check the neighbour isn't hanging their clothes out on the otherside of the fence (it was only toddlers' running about stuff but it was noticeably striped after)

LOL, thanks for the mental image. :lol:

BJ

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 17th, 2022, 1:46 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
servodude wrote:...and check the neighbour isn't hanging their clothes out on the otherside of the fence (it was only toddlers' running about stuff but it was noticeably striped after)

LOL, thanks for the mental image. :lol:

BJ

I'll confess that the better half took a bit of calming down when she brought the clothes in
- but the newly moved in (and renovating - with a gunmetal grey) neighbour became a good friend when we popped our heads over and explained the situation (resolved with a shared case of bubbly)

-sd

Return to “Building and DIY”