Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Second hand solar

Does what it says on the tin
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Second hand solar

Postby DrFfybes » April 16th, 2024, 9:45 am

A few people have mentioned small installations for sheds, etc, and whilst browsing ebat they cookie monster has obvously been reading my emailsand I'm getting links to used solar systems.

I never realised this was a 'thing', but i turns out there are several people removing solar installs for warious reasons and selling them used for pretty low prices.

eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/156157067856 not too far from me.

Other people are selling ground mount systems, and if I was looking for something for a remote workshop or similar then I'd not considered the used market until now.

tacpot12
2 Lemon pips

Re: Second hand solar

Postby tacpot12 » April 16th, 2024, 3:32 pm

Second-hand solar panels are going to become a big thing. As you say, there are various reasons why panels might get removed, and providing they can generate some power, if you have space to use them then they could be very useful. The better one might be put onto the roofs by property owners that are very price-conscious, the worst ones might be used in ground arrays where they can be more easily swapped if they fail or their production drops to ridiculously low levels.

Similarly, used EV batteries are already finding a second lease of life as a battery for homes where any reduction in storage capacity has less impact.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » April 16th, 2024, 4:13 pm

Anything that keeps the unwanted PV panels out of landfill has to be a very good thing.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 17th, 2024, 2:04 am

BullDog wrote:Anything that keeps the unwanted PV panels out of landfill has to be a very good thing.

In the UK uiltimately the law should be keeping the things out of landfill as they are covered by WEEE (unless the tosspots pulled out of THAT also! they certainly were when I was a younger engineer)
- the figures I've seen for recycling at a component level are in the >90% effective range so sticking them in landfill is a commercial as well as moral and legal failure

Return to “Building and DIY”