Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

How much weight on a plasterboard wall

Does what it says on the tin
PrincessB
Lemon Slice

How much weight on a plasterboard wall

Postby PrincessB » February 23rd, 2018, 3:20 pm

I have ordered a new display for the downstairs computer and I am a little worried about fixing it to the wall.

The display weight is about 10 kilos. Unfortunately where it should live is a plasterboarded area in the middle of an old doorway -Brick above, brick to either side and a platerboard sheet just where I want the unit to live.

I don't think there's any supporting studwork so the wall is going to have to take the weight and I would welcome advice.

TIA

B.

MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Re: How much weight on a plasterboard wall

Postby MyNameIsUrl » February 23rd, 2018, 3:55 pm

10kg doesn't sound like a lot, especially as you will have space for multiple fastenings. Spring-loaded wall anchors are probably your best bet. As when fixing kitchen units, hang the weight at the top of your display rather than have the force pulling the fixings out at the top.

Various fixings tested here:
http://www.todayshomeowner.com/testing- ... e-hangers/

If you're really concerned about it, cut a hand-sized hole in the plasterboard behind where the display will be, feed in a piece of timber and stick it to the back of the plasterboard with no-more-nails, then use woodscrews.

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » February 23rd, 2018, 4:40 pm

It's not the straight weight of the display that matters as plasterboard can absorb a fair compressive load, it's the outward moment that you need to think about. As an instance my kitchen cupboards are hung from only 2 brackets fixed only to plasterboard in several places and I've often seen radiators weighing 30-40kg supported only by 4 anchor bolts into plasterboard (though I wouldn't do it ;) ).

If the monitor is going to be more or less flush back to the wall with a few mounting points a reasonable distance apart I'd think you'd get away with it. If you're planning to have the monitor cantilevered a distance from the wall maybe more problematic. You get lots of different plasterboard anchors so browse B&Q or the Screwfix website.

By the way are you sure there are no internal braces in the plasterboard? A whole doorway seems a lot without any framing.

twotwo22
Lemon Pip

Postby twotwo22 » February 23rd, 2018, 5:39 pm

Safe shear load up to 113 Kg

http://www.gripitfixings.co.uk/

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » February 23rd, 2018, 5:53 pm

Whilst it's good to think about the strength of the plasterboard and any related fixings between that and the hanging unit, it's probably also worth ensuring that the plasterboard itself is well secured to whatever is supporting it....

As an aside, you can get some really good, flush TV brackets nowadays, that consist of a couple of rails that would suit this job, so long as the monitor has a VESA mounting point on the rear. Most modern monitors do, so it will be worth a look to see if this option is suitable for you.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » February 23rd, 2018, 6:43 pm

quelquod wrote:By the way are you sure there are no internal braces in the plasterboard? A whole doorway seems a lot without any framing.

Yes, maybe one of those fancy stud detector gizmo's?

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » February 23rd, 2018, 9:15 pm

Lootman wrote:
quelquod wrote:By the way are you sure there are no internal braces in the plasterboard? A whole doorway seems a lot without any framing.

Yes, maybe one of those fancy stud detector gizmo's?

I usually just tap gently across with the butt end of a hammer and listen for the change of tone.

PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Postby PrincessB » February 25th, 2018, 3:59 pm

Thanks to you all for a set of informative and useful replies.

Display turned up yesterday afternoon and is now sitting proudly on the desk. For reference it a 32" HP Pavillion QHD which does not have the normal four screw holes for a VESA mount, instead it comes with a rather sturdy metal bracket which fits into the slot at the bottom of the screen that will also accept the (rather well built) desk stand.

It looks like one attaches a mounting bracket to the wall, then screw the supplied monitor bracket into that and finally click the display into that and lock it into position using the thumbscrew on the monitor bracket.

I've have done some tapping at the walls surrounding the plasterboarded doorway and there is solid brick towards the left hand side of the final location.

I would rather have the display sitting as closely to the wall as possible won't require it to tilt or swing which should lessen the load on the wall, it also appears that the supplied HDMI and Displayport cables would project too far out of the back of the screen to fit so right angle cables will be required.

Thanks again,

B.

Return to “Building and DIY”