Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Condensate pump question

Does what it says on the tin
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Condensate pump question

Postby brightncheerful » March 2nd, 2018, 2:24 pm

The plastic pipe outlet/open end froze earlier this week so as a temporary measure the boiler maintenance/service person disconnected the flexible tube that connects the pump to the plastic pipe and instead put the flexible tube to discharge the water into a bucket. I am emptying the bucket as and when.

Based on our usage so far, the water from overnight heating - room thermostat at just under 20C - fills about 20% of the bucket and all day - room thermostat 23-24C - fills just under 50% of the bucket.

We have a Vailant combi fitted in an inside cupboard, with no outside walls. When the boiler was installed almost 11 years ago, we've this week discovered the installer at the time didn't lag the plastic pipe between the loft floor and the open end of the pipe. Also, the open end of the pipe is discharging into a gutter at roof level, rather than a waste pipe somewhere. As demonstrated by the blizzard, the wind chill seems particularly keen on our house.

Whenever the condensate pump activates, the screeching noise lasts about 15 seconds. (It's a fairly new pump, the last one screeched for 10 seconds.) Without the flexible hose connected, the screeching is more subdued.

Usually we switch off the boiler if we're away for more than a day or so so, apart from having to empty the bucket every so often, I'm wondering whether there would be any disadvantages in not reconnecting the hose to the plastic pipe, but simply using a bucket to collect the water. That would save having to lag the pipe in the loft space not to mention the cost of diverting the pipe outlet to somewhere less exposed to inclement weather.

Alternatively, would it be better to lag the pipe or install what I gather is known as a 'Trace''?

What do you think?

tia
BnC

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Re: Condensate pump question

Postby stewamax » March 2nd, 2018, 4:09 pm

Assuming you have access to a power supply, install a Trace or similar heating cable or heating tape. And then lag - heating cables are self-limiting in that when it gets warmer, they ramp down or switch off, depending on the type.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » March 2nd, 2018, 4:10 pm

Is it possible to connect the condensate pipe to an indoor waste?

We have a combi boiler in an airing cupboard ( well, it was an airing cupboard when it had a hot water tank in it, I suppose it now should just be called a boiler cupboard!) and the condensate pipe exits the cupboard and runs to the U bend under the sink, all, of course, indoors.

The only unanswered question is whether there is a risk here of the kitchen waste pipe freezing as the water presumably dribbles out of that, but it's not happened yet...

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » March 2nd, 2018, 5:51 pm

s it possible to connect the condensate pipe to an indoor waste?

Unfortunately, that was suggested to me long after we had the adjacent bathroom re-done. It would mean too much disturbance and risk of damage to do so now.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » March 2nd, 2018, 6:58 pm

This morning our condensate waste pipe froze.

I have thored it and restarted the boiler, but it got me investigating options.
In my case it seems that what I require is a larger volume condensate syphon that clips to the central heating pipe. What this does is exhust the condensate less frequently (in a larger amount) and ensre that it is warm at that point so that it doesn't freeze.

There is a vidio here.
http://www.directheatingsupplies.co.uk/ ... 7716192746

I'm surprised though that your boiler pumps the condensate. It's quite corrosive.

Return to “Building and DIY”