Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Plastic / Metal Shed

Does what it says on the tin
JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Plastic / Metal Shed

Postby JessUK98 » March 29th, 2018, 2:27 pm

Any recs for a plastic or metal shed, preferably with a base included?

I already have a 6x4 wooden shed, literally falling to bits. So I'm after something that will require little, if no, maintenance. Something like a 10x6 or 10x8 type size (I have no space constraints).

I was thinking of placing it at the bottom of the garden. The ground in that section can get a little "soggy" with heavy rain though, so I don't know if this would cause issues?

I could put the shed on the opposite side of the garden where I've had some trees cut down. However the stumps haven't been completely removed. I was thinking I could put a raised concrete base over one of the stumps (it's down to ground level), and if/when the stump decays and causes a dip in the base, to use some self levelling compound. As it's just for a shed, rather than an outhouse or more permanent structure, I didn't think this would be too much of an issue?

TIA,

Jess

Hardgrafter
2 Lemon pips

Re: Plastic / Metal Shed

Postby Hardgrafter » March 29th, 2018, 3:41 pm

My Keter shed is 6x6, and is excellent. No sign of UV degradation even after 6 years.

JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Postby JessUK98 » May 23rd, 2018, 10:16 am

I've gone for a Keter Factor 6x8 shed. Hopefully will arrive next week and I will enlist the help of a "willing" victim to erect said shed. It says you don't need a base if it's put on level ground, but I'm going to try one of those eco plastic grid bases. So plan over the weekend is to measure a 6x8 patch, remove turf, level out the soil (apparently you can use builders sand to help level the soil?), plonk the grids in place and fill with something like pea gravel and use that as a base.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » May 23rd, 2018, 12:49 pm

JessUK98 wrote:I've gone for a Keter Factor 6x8 shed. Hopefully will arrive next week and I will enlist the help of a "willing" victim to erect said shed. It says you don't need a base if it's put on level ground, but I'm going to try one of those eco plastic grid bases. So plan over the weekend is to measure a 6x8 patch, remove turf, level out the soil (apparently you can use builders sand to help level the soil?), plonk the grids in place and fill with something like pea gravel and use that as a base.

Put some weed suppressing membrane under the grids first. You'll still get stuff growing near the edges but that can be pulled or sprayed, and as you get to the middle it tends to get too dry/dark for anything that blows under to germinate.

FWIW my neighbour is having a large Keter one delivered at the weekend - no doubt he'll ask me to help put it together when he returns our cement mixer he borrowed to pour the base.

Paul

JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Postby JessUK98 » May 23rd, 2018, 1:12 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
JessUK98 wrote:I've gone for a Keter Factor 6x8 shed. Hopefully will arrive next week and I will enlist the help of a "willing" victim to erect said shed. It says you don't need a base if it's put on level ground, but I'm going to try one of those eco plastic grid bases. So plan over the weekend is to measure a 6x8 patch, remove turf, level out the soil (apparently you can use builders sand to help level the soil?), plonk the grids in place and fill with something like pea gravel and use that as a base.

Put some weed suppressing membrane under the grids first. You'll still get stuff growing near the edges but that can be pulled or sprayed, and as you get to the middle it tends to get too dry/dark for anything that blows under to germinate.

FWIW my neighbour is having a large Keter one delivered at the weekend - no doubt he'll ask me to help put it together when he returns our cement mixer he borrowed to pour the base.

Paul

Ah yes, I should still have some membrane left from when I put a load of decorative slate down. Hopefully it's enough, but I best check before I make a trip to get some pea gravel. Plastic grids are arriving tomorrow by DPD so should have base all ready for when the shed arrives.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » May 23rd, 2018, 2:47 pm

Metal. Have recently installed a new 10x12" Yardmaster. Took 3 people 8 hours to assemble (not including the concrete base). Have taken an extra measure of tacking plastic sheeting over the internal plywood floor, and don't forget to check for rain leaks and mastic all the screw holes that inevitably get missed, broken or not quite aligned. Very happy with it, and now just need to buy 20" of shelving!

Devjon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Devjon » May 24th, 2018, 11:19 am

moorfield wrote: Took 3 people 8 hours to assemble (not including the concrete base). Have Very happy with it, and now just need to buy 20" of shelving!

Is 20" going to be adequate ? :D

On a more serious note, I fitted my shed out using some old kitchen units and a new ( cheap ) worktop cut to length.
It works really well as there are cupboards for power tools / decorating gear etc, and I left a gap between units for a "Kneehole " so I can sit and use it as an office / workbench.

Having read what I have just written I realise I have missed a trick, I need to get a Beer fridge :-)

JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Postby JessUK98 » June 4th, 2018, 12:45 pm

Finally put the shed up. Must say, it was a lot easier than I thought, but the roof was a bit of a faff. Think I might run around it with some exterior clear scillicone now just to make doubly sure it’s not going to leak.
Has anyone successfully screwed bracketing up to hold shelving securely in place? I was thinking of trying where the tough plastic supports are.

JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Postby JessUK98 » June 4th, 2018, 2:53 pm

Snorvey wrote:Has anyone successfully screwed bracketing up to hold shelving securely in place? I was thinking of trying where the tough plastic supports are.

Mine came with a couple of Keter plastic shelving brackets that clipped into place in the runners within the plastic supports. I believe they available as spares (try phoning Keter UK)

I haven't drilled anything into any part of the shed. I attached lights and a pushbike hoist to the steel cross member using plastic zip ties.

Yeah, mine came with 2 plastic shelves I’ve put up. For some reason the shelving unit they do isn’t available in the UK?!
I have some other units I’ve put in, but rather they were more secure.

JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Postby JessUK98 » June 4th, 2018, 11:24 pm

I stupidly bought this one from B&Q;
https://www.diy.com/departments/5-shelf-steel-mdf-storage-shelving-unit/5907666209011_BQ.prd
Worst thing ever, total pain in the [expletive deleted] to put together.

Return to “Building and DIY”