Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Self tappers or rawlplugs?

Does what it says on the tin
Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Re: Self tappers or rawlplugs?

Postby Imbiber » March 30th, 2018, 1:56 pm

I would go with the self tappers, if they fail you still have the option of drilling a larger hole for the cavity fixings. Having said that I have no knowledge of the internal construction of UPVC doors.

Mick

Devjon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Devjon » March 30th, 2018, 2:00 pm

Hello Snorvey,

Just a thought, before you start drilling take a look at the range of "Command Strips" they come in a range of sizes and strengths.

I have a wall clock attached to the wall, and some large 2' x 3' framed posters which have been on the wall for a couple of years.
The beauty of them is that they are really easy to remove without leaving any marks when redecorating.

I know that a cage letterbox is nothing like a Picture / clock, but I also used them to hold up some quite heavy wooden slat venetian blinds to avoid drilling in to the brickwork around the window frame. They have been up for a few years now and have stood up to opening and closing, tugging the cords etc without problem.

Devjon

EDIT Ninjad by itsallaguess!
Last edited by Devjon on March 30th, 2018, 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » March 30th, 2018, 2:00 pm

Snorvey wrote:
I need to fit a wire cage at the back of my mums letter box because she's having trouble bending down to pick the junk mail etc that comes through the door.

So a got one from the local DIY shed, but now I'm wondering how to fit it to her UPVC door. Some youtube vids advocate self tapping screws but I was considering standard cavity rawlplugs dipped in some white mastic to seal the drillholes.

Any thoughts?

Do you have to screw into the door to support it?

I was just wondering if the cage completely envelops the letter-box on the inside of the door?

If it does, and there could be any sort of gap at all between the top of the letter-box and the upper edge of the cage-top, then would an option be to stick a thick bit of plastic-profile or similar to the door, using one of the many really strong 'no-nails tape' products (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unibond-Nails- ... B002SPBUQ8), and then perhaps fix the cage to that strip, rather than damaging the door itself?

I suppose you could do something similar on the bottom of the cage as well, if you're expecting an issue with weight, but these strips are really quite strong for vertical weight-bearing, so might be worth a try before going anywhere near it with the drill?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » March 30th, 2018, 3:02 pm

Devjon wrote:Hello Snorvey,

Just a thought, before you start drilling take a look at the range of "Command Strips" they come in a range of sizes and strengths.

EDIT Ninjad by itsallaguess!

---------------------------------------

command strips available on amazon , ebay wilko etc .

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 30th, 2018, 3:14 pm

It would depend very much on how the mounting holes on the wire cage (if any) have been organised, and how glue-able the lower part of the cage is? Everything in me says don't do any more drilling than absolutely necessary. But although No More Nails tape is very, very good, it won't have much to hold onto unless there's a flat strip around the edge of the cage that it can engage with.

A compromise? Without knowing more about the specifics, I'd be inclined to use just two smallish self-tappers at the top of the cage (plus a couple of washers), and NMN tape for the rest of the support job.

I've also been quite impressed by that there Gorilla Glue, which activates when water is applied, and which foams up two or threefold during the setting process. Has done a good job on fixing the grilles back into the wife's car bumper (don't ask... :( ), so should be capable of adhering to plastic. You'd want to be sure that it wouldn't discolour white PVC, though.

BJ

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » March 30th, 2018, 3:22 pm

Another option if you want to minimise any damage to the door is perhaps to hang the cage from wires from the top of the door, perhaps from screws countersunk into the top edge. Could be a total bodge but acceptable. Maybe hold the cage to the door with double-sided tape to prevent it flapping about. Or could the wires be attached to the letterbox itself, rather than hang all the way down from the top?

Just a thought.

--kiloran

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » March 30th, 2018, 5:30 pm

Snorvey wrote:I need to fit a wire cage at the back of my mums letter box because she's having trouble bending down to pick the junk mail etc that comes through the door.

So a got one from the local DIY shed, but now I'm wondering how to fit it to her UPVC door. Some youtube vids advocate self tapping screws but I was considering standard cavity rawlplugs dipped in some white mastic to seal the drillholes.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Snorvey

We have the wires for the nets on self tapping screws, screwed directly into the uPVC window frames. They have been like that for best part of 30 years.

Slarti

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 1st, 2018, 12:31 pm

Snorvey wrote:
Although it works fine for letters etc, bloody newspapers just get stuck halfway in if folded lengthways or almost, but not quite in if folded sideaways.

Either way, they get caught between the half open letterbox flap and the wire basket making them quite difficult to remove without wrecking the newspaper.

It's almost as if I need one end of the basket attached to the door under the letter box and the rest of it used as a kind of open tray. But then there might be potential issues opening the door fully.

Ah well, back to the drawing board.

Would something a bit more flexible than a wire cage be a benefit?

These mail-catcher bags would seem to be flexible enough to cater for letters and newspapers -

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mail+ ... s&tbm=isch

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 1st, 2018, 1:24 pm

Snorvey wrote:
funnily enough, I saw the second picture from the left on the top row and found that interesting but I couldn't find a retailer for them.

Hmmm. I'm looking in the kitchen and some friends gave us a wicker hamper thing for Christmas.....now that might have possibilities.

Ebay have the 'Snail Sakk' type of bags, but they are quite expensive, at around £30.

There's much cheaper options available that are probably worth a go to see if they might help fix the issue -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mail-Catcher ... 2841280998

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mail-Catcher-/282732190954

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » April 1st, 2018, 4:58 pm

Snorvey wrote:Well I'm kinda glad I didn't screw the basket into the door (I used Gorilla double sided hanging tape - which appears to be very strong, but a real sod to get the backing tape off).

Although it works fine for letters etc, bloody newspapers just get stuck halfway in if folded lengthways or almost, but not quite in if folded sideaways

I had a problem back when I used to get large trade magazines, about the size of an old Computer Shopper, if you remember those, in that the postie would fail to push them all the way through the letterbox and so leave it open for a nice cold draught to blow in.

To solve this I got a metal "Victorian" post box to fit on the wall, outside. Eventually I also had to remover the letterbox and block it up as some people couldn't seem to see the large black box with POST in while on the sloping top.

Perhaps getting one of those and hanging it on the outside of the door might be an idea?

Slarti

Return to “Building and DIY”