Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Window sizes on a 1938 house

Does what it says on the tin
shinygoldcar

Window sizes on a 1938 house

Postby shinygoldcar » April 23rd, 2018, 8:32 am

Hi all,
My question is essentially this:
Are the window structural opening dimensions on my 1938-built house likely to be in whole/half inches?

Here's the background:
I've been trying to measure the window structural opening dimensions for three windows in my house. It's a bit difficult doing by yourself with a tape measure: I can't be at both ends of the measure for the longer windows (the metal tape measures occasionally likes to bend under its own weight, making measuring even more difficult) and two of the windows are upstairs and involve me climbing up a ladder to measure them. Also the upstairs windows have their edges covered by render, so getting an exact measurement is impossible because you can't see exactly where the window ends.

The measurements of the one downstairs window (where I can see the brickwork) is:
2004mm/2006mm wide (measured at top/bottom) (brick to brick)
1252mm/1256mm/1256mm high (measured at left edge/centre/right edge) (brick to sill)
These look like remarkably close to 79 inches wide by 49.5 inches high.

The measurements of the small upstairs window (can't see the brickwork or the edge of the window because it is covered by render is:
520mm wide (measured at bottom)
1250mm high (measured on left side)
And the large upstairs window (again can't see the brickwork or window edge):
1496mm wide (measured at bottom)
1242mm/1244mm high
These measurements are less exact because of the render, but they look like they might both be 49 inches high. And 20.5 inches wide and 59 inches wide.

How likely is it that these structural openings actually are:
79 inches wide by 49.5 inches high (downstairs)
20.5 inches wide by 49 inches high (upstairs)
59 inches wide by 49 inches high (upstairs)?

Regards
sgc

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Re: Window sizes on a 1938 house

Postby stewamax » April 23rd, 2018, 8:52 am

Perhaps too late for you, but I have just used a 'laser distance meter' (Google for one; around £30) to measure all the rooms, windows, doors and radiators of my largish house to size a central heating boiler. Took around two hours. With a tape measure on my own, this would have taken days.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » April 23rd, 2018, 10:11 am

shinygoldcar wrote:How likely is it that these structural openings actually are:
79 inches wide by 49.5 inches high (downstairs)
20.5 inches wide by 49 inches high (upstairs)
59 inches wide by 49 inches high (upstairs)?

Until the introduction of things like Crittal windows, weren't the openings measured in x bricks plus y layers of cement and so somewhat variable, depending on which brickie did the brickwork? Then the wooden frames were made to fit the hole?

I know that in my first house (1904 vintage) no 2 window openings were the same size. Or any doorway either.

Slarti

shinygoldcar

Postby shinygoldcar » April 25th, 2018, 7:12 pm

Slarti wrote:
shinygoldcar wrote:Until the introduction of things like Crittal windows, weren't the openings measured in x bricks plus y layers of cement and so somewhat variable, depending on which brickie did the brickwork? Then the wooden frames were made to fit the hole?

I know that in my first house (1904 vintage) no 2 window openings were the same size. Or any doorway either.

Hmmm, it would appear that the answer according to responses is "not very likely". But my measurements seem to suggest otherwise, so I'm not sure where to go with this.

I basically want to put in soundproof windows. Velfac windows seem to offer an impressive 41dB reduction in noise, but unlike the typical domestic double glazing companies (Everest, Safestyle etc.) they only supply, not install, and don't send someone round to measure up for you. If I get this wrong and the windows don't fit then I will take the hit financially. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and pay for a site visit. Or consider a more typical domestic retail company.

Sussexlad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sussexlad » April 25th, 2018, 8:26 pm

Looking at their site, it has a list of approved installers here https://velfac.co.uk/domestic/Installat ... t-joiners/

It says at the bottom if you choose not to use an approved installer, you wont be covered by the 6 year guarantee. I'm assuming that if you did use one, he would come and measure up and not want to rely on the buyer's measurements.

Obviously it's going to cost more but for peace of mind, I would have thought it was a good idea. Installing window on the 1st floor is a challenge !

gilesweb

Postby gilesweb » April 26th, 2018, 12:15 pm

Also not much point in having a good dB reduction through the windows if the gaps round the edges are not sealed properly!

If you don't use an approved installer it might be hard to get any issues with this resolved

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » April 26th, 2018, 2:45 pm

Probably worth checking whether they're the same dimensions top/bottom/sides. I.e. are they square/rectangle or a random 4 sided polygon.

shinygoldcar

Postby shinygoldcar » April 27th, 2018, 9:58 pm

Thanks everyone. I had a quote from the nearest approved installer to me. In the first instance, they asked me to forward the Velfac quote on to them, and they came back pretty quickly with a quote.

You can tell they are used to new building projects and/or dealing with professionals: their quote assumes they are not removing old windows, a skip is provided by myself, and they have no need to put up any scaffolding (because I'm going to provide it!). I think I may have to ask them to modify their quote a little bit!

Also, if they need to make a return visit (because e.g. the windows are the wrong size) there will be an extra charge there.

It would seem paying for them to come and visit and measure things themselves is probably the best thing to do.

Return to “Building and DIY”