Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Heater Controller

Does what it says on the tin
Dorn1

Heater Controller

Postby Dorn1 » April 26th, 2018, 5:01 pm

I very much hope the combined knowledge on here can answer a question on electrical "safety"....

Parish pavilion has been re-fitted with a small digital timer controlling the heaters. Unfortunately, some regular users see fit to fiddle with it, leaving it on for days, this was one of the main reasons for the electrical update. The builder is telling us (from his electrical installer) that the controller cannot be locked as there has to be a way to turn off the heaters. Fair enough, but doesn't achieve the main aim. So we suggested swapping out the (accessible) fused connection unit* next to the digital controller for a Switched-fused unit so that we could put a locking band across the digital controller. He's saying he "legally" can't, but won't quote chapter or verse of the IET Regs.

Certainly form my knowledge of them (about 10 years ago) our proposed solution seems most reasonable.

*-Just realised that a FCU doesn't provide double-pole isolation of these heaters....

Hopefully someone can shed a little light?!
Cheers
Chris

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Re: Heater Controller

Postby csearle » April 26th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Dorn1 wrote:I very much hope the combined knowledge on here can answer a question on electrical "safety"....

Parish pavilion has been re-fitted with a small digital timer controlling the heaters. Unfortunately, some regular users see fit to fiddle with it, leaving it on for days, this was one of the main reasons for the electrical update. The builder is telling us (from his electrical installer) that the controller cannot be locked as there has to be a way to turn off the heaters. Fair enough, but doesn't achieve the main aim. So we suggested swapping out the (accessible) fused connection unit* next to the digital controller for a Switched-fused unit so that we could put a locking band across the digital controller. He's saying he "legally" can't, but won't quote chapter or verse of the IET Regs.

Certainly form my knowledge of them (about 10 years ago) our proposed solution seems most reasonable.

*-Just realised that a FCU doesn't provide double-pole isolation of these heaters....

He's right that there has to be a way of switching off the load for maintenance purposes. This does not have to be double-pole isolation, although some fused-connection units are indeed double pole, many are not. Single pole isolation is explicitly allowed in the Wiring Regs.

Heaters are commonly isolated for maintenance purposes with fused connection units, switched or unswitched. These fused connection units and any timers in series with the heaters are often located in locked cupboards as they need only be switched by competent persons intending to carry out maintenance work. These are not emergency isolators like those used on rotary machines etc.

So as far as I can see you could just prevent unauthorised access to the timer with some kind of lock and leave the existing unswitched, fused connection unit as it is. I'd have no problems signing that off.

Regards,
Chris

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » April 26th, 2018, 6:46 pm

Dorn1 wrote:I very much hope the combined knowledge on here can answer a question on electrical "safety"....

Cheers
Chris

Your electrical installer is a divot. If I want to isolate my central heating, I turn off the single pole. fused connection unit which is sat underneath the timer. If someone might turn it back on I simply place piece of insulating tape over the switch which is the international sign language for "Someone's working on this leave it alone don't turn it on".

He can't quote chapter and verse, because he's whistling out his back passage probably trying to cover up for the fact that he used an unswitched unit floating around the back of the van and didn't want to buy the right part for the job.

By the way, I would suggest that you move the controller into a suitable lockable enclosure with a clear front so anyone can see what the status of the controller is without needing a key.

Also I suggest you put up one of these signs:

PochiSoldi

Dorn1

Postby Dorn1 » April 26th, 2018, 7:26 pm

Thanks folks, rather confirms what I suspected (on all counts!)
Much appreciated
Chris

Dorn1

Postby Dorn1 » April 26th, 2018, 7:30 pm

pochisoldi wrote:Also I suggest you put up one of these signs:
PochiSoldi

I'm in Germany at the moment and my language skills are not that strong, so put this off for a while figuring a trip to Google Translate would be required......how wrong I was! :-)
Brilliant!

Chris

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » April 26th, 2018, 7:39 pm

Dorn1 wrote:I'm in Germany at the moment...
Na, dann viel Spass. Frag mal eine Deutsche, ob eine Sicherung im Stecker noetig ist!!

Gruss,
Chris

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 26th, 2018, 8:05 pm

csearle wrote:
Dorn1 wrote:I'm in Germany at the moment...
Na, dann viel Spass. Frag mal eine Deutsche, ob eine Sicherung im Stecker noetig ist!!

Gruss,
Chris

Does that mean "My hovercraft is full of eels"? :D

--kiloran

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » April 26th, 2018, 11:47 pm

kiloran wrote:Does that mean "My hovercraft is full of eels"? :D
Funny you should mention that.

Return to “Building and DIY”