Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Laminate (again!) - Landing with stair banister

Does what it says on the tin
JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Laminate (again!) - Landing with stair banister

Postby JessUK98 » May 23rd, 2018, 10:41 am

Has anyone laminated around or by a banister before? I have an old fashioned type wooden banister and the spindles go straight into the floor. Was wondering how people got round this? I've seen you can get a stair nose to join the stair carpet and laminate on the top step, but not seen anything for the actual banister. I was thinking of laying the laminate up to the spindles and then getting some kind of beading to cover the edge of the laminate but can't really see anything suitable. I can't face the idea of cutting laminate to fit around every single spindle, and then there's still be the issue of covering the end of the laminate.
Any ideas, or should I just get a new carpet instead?!

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Re: Laminate (again!) - Landing with stair banister

Postby richlist » May 23rd, 2018, 10:52 am

If I were doing the job i'd probably take a length of timber, say a mahogany or oak and cut notches to suit the spindles. Fit that length of timber to the floor and butt the laminate up to it.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Laminate (again!) - Landing with stair banister

Postby redsturgeon » May 23rd, 2018, 11:01 am

richlist wrote:If I were doing the job i'd probably take a length of timber, say a mahogany or oak and cut notches to suit the spindles. Fit that length of timber to the floor and butt the laminate up to it.

I'd do something similar but fit the laminate first, leaving the regulation expansion gap, then fit the wood over the laminate covering the gap, fixed to the spindles.

John

Return to “Building and DIY”