Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Cheap repair for badly chipped garage floor

Does what it says on the tin
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Cheap repair for badly chipped garage floor

Postby Itsallaguess » May 26th, 2018, 4:31 pm

I carried out this repair over a year ago now, but didn't want to risk my luck by reporting on the success until I was sure it was going to last. Anyway, it did, so here I am....

Our garage floor is a bog-standard sealed concrete slab painted with a run-of-the-mill garage-floor paint. Over the years it's seen enough action to have gained a few 'scars', where things have been dropped about and hence taken a number of chunks out of the concrete.

Nothing too serious, and no major cracks in the overall slab, but more like a few two or three-inch gashes, perhaps an inch wide and half an inch deep, where corners of heavy objects have come into contact where we might have taken more care...

I thought about filling it in with a concrete-repair mix, but just never got round to it, and then over a year ago I was in Poundland and spotted a cheap (it was a quid, natch...) two-mix epoxy-resin, and I thought it was worth a go for that price to see if that would fill in the most visible gashes, especially a couple on the main walk-way through the garage that were beginning to niggle..

Here's the two-mix epoxy resin I used - http://www.poundland.co.uk/epoxy-resin-glue

I've just been reminded of the repairs after putting my bike away after a run out, and I thought I'd report on the long-term success of the repairs.

I cleaned the gashes out before applying the two-mix, and also dampened the concrete in the areas I was going to apply the mix to, just to help create a good and lasting bond, and then I just filled the gashes in from the tub I'd mixed the epoxy in.

A smooth finish was achieved, level with the existing floor, and it was dry to the touch within a short period of time. It's dried with no cracks, to what was originally a fairly shiny finish. I did think that I was going to paint over the clear finish, but I never got round to it and wondered if it would dull over time, which is exactly what it's done, especially given that the area does take a fair bit of traffic.

Anyhow, if anyone has some similarly unsightly depressions in a concrete garage floor, and has thought on and off about actually doing something about it, then a quid and about 10 minutes mixing and filling with the above two-mix epoxy will give a good and lasting repair, and certainly one that's better than an open sore in the floor that attracts muck and seems to get larger over time due to traffic chipping more and more out of it...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Re: Cheap repair for badly chipped garage floor

Postby sg31 » May 26th, 2018, 6:58 pm

For larger holes car body filler would probably work.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 27th, 2018, 10:07 am

sg31 wrote:For larger holes car body filler would probably work.

I'm becoming rather a fan of this stuff: https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p96113

Prices are all over the place, you can pay double this amount. Or try Proper Job if there's one in your area: http://www.properjob.biz/VEHICLES_TOOLS ... CE-C801040

BJ

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » May 27th, 2018, 11:10 am

That looks a decent price for body filler. I had to buy some at Halfords the last time....ouch.

Return to “Building and DIY”