Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Driveways - crumbs and other gunges!

Does what it says on the tin
eepee
Lemon Slice

Driveways - crumbs and other gunges!

Postby eepee » June 3rd, 2018, 7:21 pm

I can read about resin bond, resin bound and rubber crumb driveways. And every site tells you why theirs is the best.

What I cannot seem to find is a comparison of the pros and cons between resin and rubber crumb drives.

Is there such a thing?

Any Lemons have experiences they can share??

Regards,
ep

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Re: Driveways - crumbs and other gunges!

Postby stewamax » June 4th, 2018, 1:02 pm

Your local authority planning dept may have some say in what you can use!
- A resin-bound surface - provided the foundation it is laid on is not itself treated with resin or PVA or whatever - is permeable and may be acceptable for laying in areas greater than 5 sq m. The aggregate is resin coated before laying and can be laid up to an inch deep
- A resin bond surface is impermeable: the resin is spread on the foundation and a thin layer of aggregate laid on top.
- Crumb rubber is used as an admixture to tarmac and in kids playgrounds and sports areas but I have never seen it used in domestic driveways.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » June 4th, 2018, 1:09 pm

... and if you are or will be passing through the East Midlands, visit Leicester Humberstone Gate (right in the centre of Leicester near the clock) that was laid with around 1000 sq m of tan resin-bound aggregate in 2014.

eepee
Lemon Slice

Postby eepee » June 8th, 2018, 9:08 am

I was in Leicester a fortnight ago and walked past the clock on the way to the market! Probably walked on the surface you mention without a thought.

Probably won't be going that way, again this year! There is only so much cloth material that my OH can carry in the car!

I am particularly intrigued by the rubber crumb hence the call for comparison. If the various sites are to be believed, indications are that it is environmentally better, none-slip, less problematic in a fall and better suited to an uneven drive.

There is one about a year old near where I live. However I think the owners must have thought I was trying to sell something - all the responses I got were monosyllabic and totally lacking in detail or price.

Regards,
ep

Return to “Building and DIY”