Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Sky Hooks...

Does what it says on the tin
neversay
Lemon Slice

Sky Hooks...

Postby neversay » June 13th, 2018, 10:19 pm

... or Bin Hooks. Ok, this is probably the simplest (if not stupidest) ever challenge to the geniuses on this board - so apologies in advance.

I have a Ketter wheelie bin store with chains with little hooks on the end as shown here - https://imgur.com/X5UurgS - the principle being that you raise the lid and the wheelie bin lids also raise. Simples. Except that (i) the chains don't stay in the hooks, and (ii) the hooks don't stay on the bins.

Now, I've considered lots of options - like threading two chain hooks through the plastic hooks (but it still comes off), tie-wraps, caribenas, or even drilling (probably much to the council's annoyance). I can't help but think that there are many other workable solutions, but there must be one that is so simple and elegant that I just can't see it.

So, I've posted this and will, no doubt, someone will tell me a stunningly simple solution that makes me feel very very stupid. Fire away...

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Re: Sky Hooks...

Postby gryffron » June 13th, 2018, 10:53 pm

Adjust them with an "all purpose adjusting tool" (aka Hammer) to close up the gaps until everything stays where it should?

Gryff

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » June 13th, 2018, 10:59 pm

gryffron wrote:Adjust them with an "all purpose adjusting tool" (aka Hammer) to close up the gaps until everything stays where it should? Gryff

Thanks Gryff. That's my usual first-step on any DIY project - hitting it with a hammer. Unfortunately the type of plastic used is typically on the cusp between springy and brittle. Knowing my luck brittle will win. Although a trip to the hardware store and more suitable hook is an option.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » June 14th, 2018, 7:03 am

neversay wrote:Fire away...
I'd probably remove the plastic hooks completely and drill holes in the lips of the bins. I'd then make loops out of zip-ties threaded through the bottom chain-links and said holes. C.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 14th, 2018, 9:14 am

csearle wrote:
I'd probably remove the plastic hooks completely and drill holes in the lips of the bins. I'd then make loops out of zip-ties threaded through the bottom chain-links and said holes. C.

Yup I'd do the same , maybe using caraBINers. :)

John

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » June 14th, 2018, 9:42 am

csearle wrote:

Many thanks. I did have in mind and like @redsturgeon suggests using carawheeliebiner clips. My hesitation was that the lip on the waste bin isn't wide enough to have a hole, so it would have to go through the lid itself - providing access for flies (resulting in maggots). Another option is to relocate the chain on the Ketter lid and use large carabiner clips that go around the bin handles on the waste bin. I'll get my hammer and drill out, look at it and rub my chin some more.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » June 14th, 2018, 10:09 am

A bit of string tied around the last chain link and the plastic hook solves one problem.
A bit of plastic (cut from a milk carton?) inserted between the plastic clip and the bin to make it a tighter fit should solve the other problem.

Two minutes work, and no drilling or use of a brummie screwdriver required.

--kiloran

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » June 14th, 2018, 10:20 am

kiloran wrote:A bit of string tied around the last chain link and the plastic hook solves one problem.
A bit of plastic (cut from a milk carton?) inserted between the plastic clip and the bin to make it a tighter fit should solve the other problem.

Two minutes work, and no drilling or use of a brummie screwdriver required.

--kiloran

We're on fire now. Thanks @kiloran!

Return to “Building and DIY”