Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Removing nails applied with a nail gun

Does what it says on the tin
Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Removing nails applied with a nail gun

Postby Maroochydore » June 22nd, 2018, 11:19 am

Does anyone know of a good way to remove nails which have been applied with a nail gun.

Consequently they sit below the surface of the timber.

I don't mind spending a few quid if there is a tool available that would do the job.

Context: cladding on a garden shed. I want to retain the cladding otherwise I would just prise them off.

Thanks

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Removing nails applied with a nail gun

Postby redsturgeon » June 22nd, 2018, 12:20 pm

Maroochydore wrote:Does anyone know of a good way to remove nails which have been applied with a nail gun.

I don't mind spending a few quid if there is a tool available that would do the job.

Context: cladding on a garden shed. I want to retain the cladding otherwise I would just prise them off.

Thanks

Nothing that I know of. But can't you just carefully prise off the cladding anyway, the nail will either pull out of the frame or be pulled through the cladding.

John

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » June 22nd, 2018, 12:25 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
Maroochydore wrote:Does anyone know of a good way to remove nails which have been applied with a nail gun.

Nothing that I know of. But can't you just carefully prise off the cladding anyway, the nail will either pull out of the frame or be pulled through the cladding.

John

Basically this, and usually it is the latter with lost head nails (which makes me wonder why the cladding doesn't warp and pull away).

I've used a wide flat prybar in the past like Screwfix item 58202. Then when the cladding was refixed (but not back in exactly the same place) I used the existing holes in the cladding and used round head galvanised nails and tapped them flush.

Paul

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 22nd, 2018, 2:45 pm

Maroochydore wrote:
Does anyone know of a good way to remove nails which have been applied with a nail gun.

It might depend on the lay of your cladding, but rather than think about getting the nails out, which will be very difficult from their current position, or try to pry the cladding off and run the risk of damaging the cladding, is it worth trying to think about actually driving the nails further in, with a thin nail-punch, so that the nail passes completely through the cladding, which might then simply slide off?

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-nail- ... /p/0343920

If the above is possible, then you may still end up with a very small amount of damage around the hole, where you've had to drive in the nail-punch, but that still might be more palatable than risking more general damage to the cladding by prising the strips off with a prise-bar, and as Paul has already suggested, you can use some fixings with a larger head to re-apply the cladding, which would then cover any local hole-damage that you might apply with the nail-punch.

Just something else to have a think about and possibly try on a test piece. Good luck - sounds like a job to take nice and slow on a great, warm weekend....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » June 22nd, 2018, 3:03 pm

I offer up this suggestion more as food for thought rather than a definite suggestion.

Sometimes I have to remove sheets of board nailed down at about 1 foot centres over joists or floorboards. I use one of these of a suitable size. This allows the board to be lifted leaving the nails in place. I have the option of placing the board back down (with or without additional screws) or pulling all the nails out.

Might be of some help in your situation, hope so.

Regards,
Chris

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » June 22nd, 2018, 3:55 pm

Yes, I had the same problem. Then I purchased this… .. https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&key ... 5424759729

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » June 22nd, 2018, 4:33 pm

The Bahco in a video…. https://youtu.be/8c4WhBI4dAo I removed hundreds of nailgun nails from a cedar shiplap roof. And saved all the expensive red cedar to reroof after lining it.

Simples….

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » June 22nd, 2018, 4:38 pm

tea42 wrote:Yes, I had the same problem. Then I purchased this… .. https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&key ... 5424759729

Loved the reviews!
this particular tool is rubbish, spring broke first hit, seen better grip from a wet frog. All I am trying to do was pull nails out of floor boards, I doubt this tool could pull the skin off a custard pudding. Spend a bit more for the slide hammer style. I have found one use for it and that is as a door wedge.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bahco-BAH36-36 ... ail+puller

VRD

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » June 22nd, 2018, 5:46 pm

I guess there were some bad reviews but it did the job for me, pulling out hundreds of sub surfacenails and got quite a few 5 stars Amazon reviews. On very hard wood I guess it wouldnt be able to penetrate very well and do the job. Mine is a very robust tool, well made and survived perfectly intact.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 22nd, 2018, 6:41 pm

tea42 wrote:I guess there were some bad reviews but it did the job for me, pulling out hundreds of sub surfacenails and got quite a few 5 stars Amazon reviews. On very hard wood I guess it wouldnt be able to penetrate very well and do the job. Mine is a very robust tool, well made and survived perfectly intact.

Well I've certainly learned something.

John

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 22nd, 2018, 7:22 pm

Your heading sounds pretty grisly.

Dod

wilbobob
2 Lemon pips

Postby wilbobob » June 23rd, 2018, 11:51 am

Inspired by the question I went to the source of all knowledge - Youtube - and found lots of videos on deconstructing wooden pallets. There are examples of ready made and do it yourself tools that will separate pallets into their constituent parts. As pallets are assembled with a nail gun, and often using ring-shank nails that are really hard to pull out, you should find something there to suit you.
Bob

Return to “Building and DIY”