Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Bought a new shed.

Does what it says on the tin
GarraGee
2 Lemon pips

Bought a new shed.

Postby GarraGee » June 24th, 2018, 11:14 am

The boards are f/e pressure treated timber (as advertised) and some have warped v.badly (I can pass a tennis ball through).

The suppliers have offered to replace it, which means I have to dismantle and then re-erectvanother.

I think it could be repaired by removing and replacing some boards and reinforcing the shed sides.

£30 has been offered in "compensation" , which is not enough to get someone in to do that work and pay for the timber.

Any suggestions appreciated as to a possible DIY repair/legal remedy?

Many thanks.

GG

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Re: Bought a new shed.

Postby sg31 » June 24th, 2018, 9:55 pm

Do you think a replacement would be any improvement?

I'd take some convincing. The shed is not fit for purpose and I'd be asking for a full refund. They can dismantle it and remove it.

If you think it can be repaired work out how much it would cost and tell them that you want that amount not £30 which, from what you say, would be totally inadequate. You are in the driving seat here not the supplier, their product is faulty, if they won't pay the required amount demand a full refund

I've just bought a shed. I went to 2 local companies who's product sounded like they would fit the bill. The quality of the sheds on display at the first was poor, if the ones on display are poor quality I dread to think what the ones they send to customers are like. The 2 staff on duty were having a discussion about something and totally ignored my wife and I despite our trying to get their attention, after a few minutes we left.

The sheds at the other company were excellent, well built, better materials, they oozed quality. When we approached the staff they were helpful and knew the products inside out (ok they were sheds not high tech). We placed the order, it was delivered 3 weeks later and they erected it within an hour.

The second company was 20% cheaper than the first.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 25th, 2018, 9:16 am

Sheds are sometimes priced so cheaply these days that there can be an element of "you get what you pay for" at the cheaper end. For some people, the main thing is that it should just do the job; others, however, want the shed to look good and are prepared to pay more. Your response will reflect the balance between those various factors.

If it were me, I'd probably take the money (or preferably more) and fix it myself. A few battens and a few screws, and you could probably pull the warped boards into line. If it looks unsightly, perhaps you could put a trellis on it and grow something up it?

Chances are, though, that you've also got a thin felt roof that matches the quality of the boards themselves. If you're happy with that, go back and haggle hard for a better rebate. (Does the supplier have a feedback/reviews page? A great way of attracting attention. ;) ) An extra layer of felt would be money well spent.

Finally, if all else fails, the shed paints from Cuprinol are pretty good. :lol:

BJ

GarraGee
2 Lemon pips

Postby GarraGee » June 25th, 2018, 3:06 pm

Very grateful for your responses.

I'll consider those options and, maybe, x-post to the Legals board.

Hardgrafter
2 Lemon pips

Postby Hardgrafter » June 25th, 2018, 10:13 pm

Although somewhat size dependant, I would recommend a plastic shed (i.e. Keter). Its factory made, to correction dimensions, and won't rot. Made in Canada I believe.
There was a thread about these earlier in the year.

https://www.keter.com/en/sheds-3

Moderator Message:
That thread would I imagine be this one. - Chris

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 26th, 2018, 8:56 am

Hardgrafter wrote:Although somewhat size dependant, I would recommend a plastic shed (i.e. Keter). Its factory made, to correction dimensions, and won't rot. Made in Canada I believe.
There was a thread about these earlier in the year.

https://www.keter.com/en/sheds-3

Moderator Message:
That thread would I imagine be this one. - Chris

On the other hand I have a smaller Keter storage unit that has a lid that opens on top...the lid has warped so that it collects rainwater which then drips into the unit when opened.

John

JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Postby JessUK98 » June 26th, 2018, 9:03 am

I don’t think I’d ever buy a wooden shed again. The plastic Keter one I have now I’m quite happy with. We’ve had a little bit of bad weather since putting it up and it hasn’t leaked or blown away. Unlike the wooden shed which lost all the felt on one side of the roof during the same evening. I’ll have to pull it down at some point :lol:

Personally GG, I’d make them take it back and ask for a full refund and compensation for time wasted.

Return to “Building and DIY”