Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Cutting disc

Does what it says on the tin
swill453
Lemon Half

Cutting disc

Postby swill453 » July 2nd, 2018, 7:43 pm

Is there some kind of cutting disc that is beefier than a Dremel-thing, but not as brutal as an angle-grinder? I'm thinking there might be an attachment for a standard drill that would cut through some plastic sheet.

A jigsaw or similar wouldn't do the job because of the clearance involved.

Scott.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Cutting disc

Postby Itsallaguess » July 2nd, 2018, 8:04 pm

swill453 wrote:
Is there some kind of cutting disc that is beefier than a Dremel-thing, but not as brutal as an angle-grinder? I'm thinking there might be an attachment for a standard drill that would cut through some plastic sheet.

A jigsaw or similar wouldn't do the job because of the clearance involved.

Sounds like a job for a multi-tool, but your concern regarding clearance may hamper the ability to get it in. If you can get one in, then they are ideal for this type of plastic-sheet cutting.

Aldi currently have a good deal on, with a multi-tool and accessories being offered for £30 delivered -

https://tinyurl.com/y8p3yz5n

Check the last picture on the left on the above link, and it'll show the plastic cutting tool in action, to give an idea for clearance.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 2nd, 2018, 8:10 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Sounds like a job for a multi-tool, but your concern regarding clearance may hamper the ability to get it in. If you can get one in, then they are ideal for this type of plastic-sheet cutting.

Actually it looks ideal for the job, thanks.

But ... if I buy another power tool so soon after the last one :-) I'll be in deep trouble.

Any drill attachments do a similar job?

Scott.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 2nd, 2018, 8:21 pm

swill453 wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
Sounds like a job for a multi-tool, but your concern regarding clearance may hamper the ability to get it in. If you can get one in, then they are ideal for this type of plastic-sheet cutting.

Actually it looks ideal for the job, thanks.

But ... if I buy another power tool so soon after the last one I'll be in deep trouble.

Any drill attachments do a similar job?

Nothing as good as the multi-tool cutting accessories, and you'll spend the same sort of cash finding that out...

Using a multi-tool willl be like slicing through butter if you're cutting plastic sheeting...

They really are very versatile, and you'll find yourself using it for loads of around the house jobs.

Screwfix do some very good-value accessories, for when the ones that come with the tool wear out....

Good Luck!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » July 3rd, 2018, 10:57 pm

swill453 wrote:Any drill attachments do a similar job?
No. A Fein Multimaster (or equivalent) is the best thing since sliced bread. If you need round holes in plastic (or metal) then a cone cutter is very, very good too.

Chris

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » July 7th, 2018, 7:41 am

Itsallaguess wrote:Nothing as good as the multi-tool cutting accessories, and you'll spend the same sort of cash finding that out...

Using a multi-tool will be like slicing through butter if you're cutting plastic sheeting...

They really are very versatile, and you'll find yourself using it for loads of around the house jobs.

Screwfix do some very good-value accessories, for when the ones that come with the tool wear out....

I agree that a multitool is an excellent option for cutting things, one of the best power tools I've bought. It excels at cutting things that are in place and can't be moved where you couldn't hope to get a proper saw in or a grinder, plus it makes less mess (the dust is quite localised)

Lidl were selling cutting attachments last week, so maybe they have some tools as well.

BH
Moderator Message:
Quote etc. fixed - Chris

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 7th, 2018, 9:56 am

To follow up, I bought a Draper multi function tool, and it did the job I had in mind perfectly.

Scott.

Return to “Building and DIY”